Forums Latest Members
  1. Professor Aug 10, 2018

Hi
    Months ago when I first joined I mentioned owning a Omega Seamaster deVille dated 1968 in the engraving on the back. The watch was presented to my Father by his boss in that year.
    I've been wanting to replace the damaged case.
    Anyway I just opened it up and found these numbers. My eyesight is not great but it looks like LL6086 over 24020.
    Above the numbers is the Omega Watches lettering inside a triangle with the Omega horseshoe at the apex. Below that is the word Ross.

I've run across a few cases that might or might not fit. One rather nice one lacks the inner positioning ring and is marked 166.020 Sp. It has the medallion back unlike the flat engraved back of my case. Its said to be a 1960-1969 manufacture.

Another case is more like mine only gold filled. Not in great shape, the gold partly scraped away at the edges on the back. It has the inner ring but the stem tube is missing.
    Numbers are KM6292 over 096098 other markings are not exactly the same as mine but the Ross name is present.

I'm wondering if my movement which is the self winding without calendar will fit either or both. Can I remove the inner ring or the stem tube from my old case if necessary?

Any suggestions?

Edited to add. The movement caliber appears to be 550
    Another number found on the movement is 26849547 (not sure about the second digit it might be a 5)

Edited Aug 11, 2018
  2. mac_omega Aug 11, 2018

The number LL6086 indicates that it is a watch sold on the US market, the movement was imported and then cased in a Ross case.

You will have to find the same type of case. Otherwise you would create a Franken.

Will take some time and patience...

3. Professor Aug 11, 2018

Was the Ross an American made case?

For now I'm only interested in making it wearable.
    If the 166.020 case will work with this movement I'd as soon get it now and mount the movement in it and keep my eye out for a Ross case later on. If a good Ross case or donor watch shows up later I'd put the 166.020 on the market.
    From what I can tell the 550 was commonly used from early 60's into early 70's so it should be correct for that case.

At my age and condition waiting much longer is a losing proposition.

Edited Aug 11, 2018
  4. mac_omega Aug 11, 2018

Yep, Ross was located in Long Island, NY

5. ConElPueblo Aug 11, 2018

If you find a 550, 750, 500, 502 or 560 chances are that it will be cased in an US-made case; alternately it would probably have been US sold in a Swiss made case.

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 11, 2018

There are plenty of cases made by Omega that the "movement" will work in, but I'm not sure that is what you are really asking.

If you want to use the dial and hands that are already on the movement, those are far more case specific, and really the only way to know for sure is to try to seat the movement with the hands and dial attached in the case, and see if everything lines up correctly...so the stem must come out the middle of the case tube, the diameter of the recess for the dial must be right., there has to be proper clearance for the hands under the crystal, etc.

Professor likes this.
  7. Professor Aug 11, 2018

I got that general impression but so far have found no resource on exact dial diameter and such.
    Can't tell if the locator ring is present but i think I see the inside edge of it behind the bezel.
    I have found numerous examples of watches with the identical cases and the same dial and hands. The case I'm looking at is complete with bezel and crystal, and in pretty good shape. In fact its in such good shape that if it doesn't fit my movement and dial it would be worth finding those items somewhere else to complete it.

The few cases most like my own that I've found are in terrible condition and/or deeply engraved on the back with names of strangers I don't want to carry around.

My old crystal has developed a star shaped crack all the way through so its toast in any case. Dial ,hands and movement are pristine.
    The crown came loose and unscrewed. Possibly due to corrosion of some sort since the gold plating also simply flaked off. I've noticed that if a medical condition affects the liver ammonia comes out in the sweat and eats away at some metals.
    I could use the old crown for awhile but will later look for a replacement that matches the case I settle on. The stems are fine.

PS In any case the watch won't be offered for sale while I'm alive and any watch completely rebuilt like this one will be would have little or no collector value anyway. Its a keep sake much like my Zorro watch so whatever I can live with is all that really matters.
    I expect all parts will be Omega manufacture, except perhaps the band. I have the original boxes and papers. It will likely just sit in its box 99% of the time.

Edited Aug 11, 2018