Forums Latest Members
  1. Snickers1985 Jul 18, 2019

Hi Guys,

As some of you know I recently purchased my first vintage Omega. I'm very happy with it but I've noticed that there seems to be minor variations on some of the case beveling and I wondered if this was normal? I've taken a photo to show you what I mean. The lug on the left has a more rounded end where as the one on the right has a bit more of a point to it. 20190718_100813.jpg
    Also! I've noticed a number lightly scratched into the lug on the left, is this hangover from a service or something?
    20190718_100350.jpg

DaveK likes this.
  2. Dan S Jul 18, 2019

The case has been polished unevenly in the past, so the chamfers, which were originally sharp and consistent, are now inconsistent and rounded off (but not too badly as far as I can tell from those photos).

Regarding the engraving, it's clear that someone hand-engraved that at some point, which seems absurd. Sometimes watchmakers did make small engravings on the backs of lugs (although usually they put their marks inside the case-backs). I have never seen an engraving from a watchmaker on the side of a lug before, but there's always a first time I guess. Ultimately, there's no way to know how it got there. Welcome to the world of vintage watches, where your watch has lived a long life before you acquired it. :)

Edited Jul 18, 2019
    DaveK, lando and Darlinboy like this.
  3. Snickers1985 Jul 18, 2019

Thanks for the reply Dan, it's hard to capture in the photos, the chamfers are still pretty sharp compared to some of the polished vintage cases I have seen. it may be that someone has redone them to give them a sharper edge but like you said with a 70 year old watch who the hell knows what has been done with it! It almost certainly has seen some polishing in it's time, which is fine. I just wondered if it was common to see chamfers that ever so slightly vary and it sounds like it all depends on how it's been polished.