Forums Latest Members
  1. jetkins Mar 27, 2018

I'd like to take a stab at regulating some of my watches, and simply admiring others, so I'm in the market for a decent tool for removing screw-down case backs. I've decided on a three-prong adjustable wrench, but there are many to choose from and some of the reviews read like they were written by factory employees, so I thought I'd seek recommendations from y'all. I don't want to spend a fortune, but if there's a noticeable difference in quality between, say, a $20 wrench and a $50 one, then I'm happy to pay that difference. Some of the questions muddying the waters are...

Plastic body vs metal, and why?
    Is there an advantage to screw-in bits vs push-in, or vice versa?
    Do I really need three different sizes of round bits, or will a single size suffice even if it's not a perfect fit in the holes?
    Any other considerations I've missed?
    Does your chewing gum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

Thanks!

(p.s. Yes, I'm aware of the rubber ball method, but I have at least one watch that I can't shift with a ball.)

2. michael22 Mar 27, 2018

I'm in a similar frame of mind, so will be watching with interest.
    I have the rubber balls, which are great.
    I have used adjustable 3 & 2 point tools. I find them very unsatisfactory.
    I am thinking of splashing out on a $150 tool. Watch Case Opener and Closer Watch Tool watchmaker tools 5700Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    I think the ability to keep tool & watch "pressed" together is important for these hard to open cases.
    Happy to be corrected.

3. Caliber561 Mar 27, 2018

One question I'd also like to ask is — where does one get case back openers for those decagonal-shaped backs?

4. jetkins Mar 27, 2018

From looking at the images accompanying several tools and their bits, it appears that you can use the same three-prong tool with a different set of bits because the two "top" bits can be adjusted independently of the single "bottom" bit. That same flexibility allows it to open a Seamaster with its five indentations, too.

Peemacgee likes this.
  5. Canuck Mar 27, 2018

If you can find a SWISS made JAXA wrench, they are the best IMO. There are look alike wrenches from India or China at a fraction of the price. But unless you are comfortable making a mess of your watches with one of these cheap wrenches, spend the extra and buy a Jaxa. Oh, and be very careful once you get into the innards of your watches. There are lots of watch repair folks on the OMB that would be happy to help sort out any accidents you might have.:)

jetkins likes this.
  6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 28, 2018

The real answer here is that there really isn't any truly good, yet cheap case opener. Quality tools cost money, and if you have chosen to do this yourself and get a three pronged tool, an original Jaxa as Doug has suggested is the best choice of a mediocre tool. What no one has said yet that is crucial is that you get a case holder as well, and one that can be clamped in a vise.

To prevent the case opener from slipping you really need to use two hands - one to turn and one to put pressure down so the prongs don't slip out and scratch the case back. So putting the case in a good case holder, and then clamping that in a bench vise will help you do this without wrecking anything. Here is a case set-up in a case holder and in my bench vise - for installing the screwed pins that require the use of 2 screwdrivers at the same time in this case, but it should you the kind of set-up you need.

[​IMG]

You may also want to put some plastic over the case back before engaging the pins of the opener in the slots.

Brand specific case back dies can be purchased either from the brands, or in many cases tool suppliers like Bergeon and Horotec make them. I have a full set of Horotec dies for Panerai, plus Bergeon for Rolex, etc.

Panerai set here:

https://www.jewelerssupplies.com/case-opener-dies-for-panerai-set-of-four-590.809.html

Rolex here:

https://www.jewelerssupplies.com/case-opener-dies-bergeon-5538-for-5700-590.502.html

Bright-thing here:

https://www.jewelerssupplies.com/set-of-15-breitling-dies-590.407.html

Cheers, Al

jetkins, Caliber561 and Rman like this.
  7. Canuck Mar 28, 2018

Any tool for opening a Rolex, aside from the Rolex Easy Oyster Opener, is an inferior tool.

BE264E44-68D8-4F7A-A265-85D8C3E5808B.jpeg

8. Rman Mar 28, 2018

For the tinkerer like me this tool has been excellent.

Made in the USA and can be had for $75ish.
    Comes with bits that get you into most notched caseback and some faceted casebacks. If I was using it every day or even multiple times a week I’d follow Al’s advice and get geared up. Especially for the backs that need a die. I do use a case holder with it so hopefully that gives the watchmakers reading this some relief:D
    86731D4A-EEEC-40DF-BC68-6E826DD220CD.jpeg

jetkins likes this.
  9. w154 Mar 28, 2018

I couldn't agree more, but the price of these is ludicrous nowadays so they're only really for Rolex collectors and rich amateurs. Lucky I picked one up when they weren't so much.

image.jpg

The others nice thing is that the dimensions of the square driver-post on the Easy-Opener is really close to the opening on my omega openers, so I can also open most non-Rolex stuff as long as one of the Rolex case holders fits.

image.jpg

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 28, 2018

Honestly there's nothing special about that opener, at least nothing that I would pay double what a Bergeon 5700 can be had for anyway. As you say, incredibly overpriced for what they are.

11. Canuck Mar 28, 2018

Fortunately, this one has belonged to me since the late 1950s! My late father bought it when he sold Rolex. I’ll bet the tool was expensive, even way back then. I also have a Rolex case clamp, and duplicate sets of the Rolex “propeller” wrenches. Now if only I could solve the problem of getting Rolex parts. :(