Forums Latest Members
  1. UNC1989 May 28, 2020

Does this look authentic? I question it because others I've seen the writing is straighter. Considering purchasing since my watch is engraved on the back and I don't know the person it was engraved to.

Screenshot_20200528-083507_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20200528-083441_Chrome.jpg
  2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado May 28, 2020

Genuine but very worn.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  3. JwRosenthal May 28, 2020

Someone pulled the guts out of that case for a reason. Don’t buy someone else’s trash.

4. UNC1989 May 28, 2020

Thanks for the input the case on mine looks fine just would prefer no engravings

5. Dan S May 28, 2020

Laser welding and refinishing might be an option, depending on how the engraving was done. But probably not worth the cost in this case. I don't love personal engravings, but they don't bother me enough to frankenize the watch.

6. UNC1989 May 28, 2020

They don't bother me enough to frankenize the watch but an authentic case with proper ref. wouldn't do that. Just gonna continue to look for a good one.

7. Dan S May 28, 2020

Interesting perspective.

Davidt likes this.
  8. UNC1989 May 28, 2020

I mean it's almost the same as replacing a crystal only difference is it's the actual watch case.

9. JwRosenthal May 28, 2020

I’m with you @UNC1989
    I have a Seamaster with spectacular dial and movement but someone went at the lugs and bezel with a screwdriver. I found a razor sharp case of the exact reference in the FS section here and am having the guts swapped over by my watchmaker right now.
    I can see why some collectors would have an issue with separating a movement/dial/hands/case that were assembled at the factory- watch is no longer as it left the factory. But these were mass assembled watches with bins of parts- I don’t see swapping an exact case in better shape any different than as you suggest, changing a mangled factory crystal for an exact factory part...but it’s all very subjective in the world of collecting.

10. Dan S May 28, 2020

As long as you are both willing to disclose the replaced case when you sell the watch, then it's entirely your own business what you do with your watch. That way, the buyer can decide what he considers a franken. Without disclosure, then we are on a very slippery slope where it's ok for a seller to sell anything as original if it can't be detected by the buyer. And we don't want to validate that behavior.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  11. UNC1989 May 28, 2020

I have no intention of selling the watch if I did i wouldn't look to change it. I also would keep the original case to go with the watch the same way omega returns parts changed during a service.

12. JwRosenthal May 28, 2020

This is also my exact intention. I bought the case because the dinged up original case is what kept me from really enjoying the watch, it’s all I saw. Like you, if I ever sell the watch, the original case will go with it. But I do get Dan’s point that it’s a slippery slope as the next buyer may not be as scrupulous and try to sell my watch as an original piece in current condition.

13. Dan S May 28, 2020

All watches are sold eventually. As I said, it's your watch to do with as you like, and you're not responsible for the actions of others. I'm just giving my own opinion as someone who values originality.

And honestly, for watches like these, nobody is really going to make a fuss, but the principle matters. For rare and desirable references, there are people who track every public sale of every example. Now and then, a watch comes up for auction, and someone on the forum points out that the same watch was sold two years earlier with a different dial, or a different bezel. The parts may be correct and authentic for the reference, but these replacements matter.

JwRosenthal likes this.