Carrera 2447?

I've seen alot of threads on this subject, but being a newbie here, I cannot comment on some of them. So, I thought I'd start my own thread. I have this watch that I've been thinking if selling. I have done my research and understand the value, in general. I've had some offers on it and want to make sure that, given the condition and age of my watch, I'm not being taken advantage off. Any help would be appreciated and ESPECIALLY if someone could get me in touch with Mark Moss.

PM sent with Mark's contact.
Edited:

Yep it is a 2447T, looks to be an early movement and dial. You can find the serial number at the bottom side of the case, where the bracelet attaches to it.

A lovely watch. I’m potentially interested so will send you a PM.

Very nice one. Don't remove that sticker

Hopefully people are doing their due diligence on this seller.

Hopefully people are doing their due diligence on this seller.
I’m only in if a face-to-face is possible.

I’m only in if a face-to-face is possible.

That's good. As you probably recall, @dsio recently exposed a new member as a blatant scammer.

That's good. As you probably recall, @dsio recently exposed a new member as a blatant scammer.
Would a scammer want to be put in touch with Mark Moss? If I were a scammer I'd avoid people with Mark's reputation and contacts like the plague. Mark, working with Jeff Stein, is compiling the database of 50/60/70s Heuer references and serial numbers. If that watch is known to belong to someone else that'll be trouble. To back up @abrod520 (not that he needs it) notice no "T" on the dial and eggshell finish, that's an early one.

Would a scammer want to be put in touch with Mark Moss?

A clever scammer would drop names and who knows what the OP really "wants."

Personally, I wouldn't make any assumptions, I would do a lot of checking, and even then I would be very unlikely to send money to a total unknown who comes onto Omegaforums asking vague questions about a Heuer.

"I want to make sure ... I'm not being taken advantage of." Come on. ::facepalm2::

But if you want to believe ... you do you. :thumbsup:

A clever scammer would drop names and who knows what the OP really "wants."

Personally, I wouldn't make any assumptions, I would do a lot of checking, and even then I would be very unlikely to send money to a total unknown who comes onto Omegaforums asking vague questions about a Heuer.

"I want to make sure ... I'm not being taken advantage of." Come on. ::facepalm2::

But if you want to believe ... you do you. :thumbsup:

OK, so I'll ask Mark if he has been contacted and if he has seen that watch before. It's very distinctive, how many very early Carreras are still in that shape? No lume lost from the hands, a sticker on the back, and lugs that are are easy to damage but these appear untouched. You're right to be suspicious, not least because of the disconnect between nom-de-OF and the appearance of the person's hands, and the exif data removed from the photos. Dunno, dunno :(

I've been contacted via PM by the OP. Let's see if my advice to open up with information is acted on.

Damnit that's a nice watch!

I've been contacted via PM by the OP. Let's see if my advice to open up with information is acted on.

Damnit that's a nice watch!

Well, it has potential......

So, we have just the one post here. I received a sob story by PM. Now looks highly scammish to me.

OK, so I'll ask Mark if he has been contacted and if he has seen that watch before. It's very distinctive, how many very early Carreras are still in that shape? No lume lost from the hands, a sticker on the back, and lugs that are are easy to damage but these appear untouched. You're right to be suspicious, not least because of the disconnect between nom-de-OF and the appearance of the person's hands, and the exif data removed from the photos. Dunno, dunno :(

@MRC without commenting on whether or not the seller in question is legitimate (definitely seems too good to be true) isn't exif data stripped by many online services, depending upon how the image is uploaded/handled?

Edit: Seller.
Edited:

@MRC without commenting on whether or not the watch in question is legitimate (definitely seems too good to be true) isn't exif data stripped by many online services, depending upon how the image is uploaded/handled?
Yes, but not by Omega Forums judging by my own photos submitted which are not stripped first. So the pictures were completely stripped somewhere before they were posted here. I also note that according to the PM story sent to me this OP got the watch from an uncle, knows little about watches, however as evidenced in the photos can take the back off and also remove the bracelet's spring bars (I have one watch which has resisted all my efforts to get the bracelet off with a proper spring-bar tool). In addition has a man's hands despite the "name" and avatar. The pictures are in .webm format rather than the .jpg that I would expect from a newbie wielding a phone or basic camera (PM pleads very poor financial situation). Perhaps the uncle also gifted a mid-range DSLR too? Mine only does .jpg and .raw though, so where did the .webm come from? I use GIMP for graphics editing and it does most things Photoshop can do but won't export in .webm. There is no smoking gun but far too many inconsistencies.

Agreed, "I don't know anything about watches but managed to get the bracelet and caseback off" seems downright incompatible. Also, the webm format is super odd. I've used imgur to upload some of my own images and I know it scrubs data---- but I don't see how a hosting service explains the webm format.

Also- as a brand new member that just wants to get info about a watch, why the avatar? Why is that even a priority? And the whole "I've done my research and have a general idea of what it is worth" also doesn't exactly line up with "I want to make sure I'm not being taken advantage of."

Just weird.

Lastly where is OP to defend themselves/offer additional info? If this were me I'd sure as heck come back to this thread and say "wait, I can explain, here's add'l info..." or whatever.

As you and Dan said... not consistent.

Yes, but not by Omega Forums judging by my own photos submitted which are not stripped first. So the pictures were completely stripped somewhere before they were posted here. I also note that according to the PM story sent to me this OP got the watch from an uncle, knows little about watches, however as evidenced in the photos can take the back off and also remove the bracelet's spring bars (I have one watch which has resisted all my efforts to get the bracelet off with a proper spring-bar tool). In addition has a man's hands despite the "name" and avatar. The pictures are in .webm format rather than the .jpg that I would expect from a newbie wielding a phone or basic camera (PM pleads very poor financial situation). Perhaps the uncle also gifted a mid-range DSLR too? Mine only does .jpg and .raw though, so where did the .webm come from? I use GIMP for graphics editing and it does most things Photoshop can do but won't export in .webm. There is no smoking gun but far too many inconsistencies.
Edited:

And let's not talk about that thumb nail in the OP's photo, please let's not.

And let's not talk about that thumb nail in the OP's photo, please let's not.

Well, it is pretty durn distinctive, so if the images aren't the OPs...

::book::::shy::

Well, it is pretty durn distinctive, so if the images aren't the OPs...

::book::::shy::

As my RN Wife would say seeing a nail like that- "someone needs to give that thing a break from their mouth."