Forums Latest Members
  1. alpinamotorsport Aug 5, 2014

Well I pulled the trigger on my first fine watch, a brand new Speedmaster 3570.50--which arrives today. Easy choice since I was born in 1969. My newbie question of the day is how do I clean it day to day, or week to week. I am an expert when it comes to detailing my cars, but I lack the knowledge with watches. Should I just wipe it off with a soft cotton cloth? Do I use a toothbrush on it under water, or will that scratch the metal? Should I buy an ultrasonic machine and if so, what kind of solution do I put in it? I would like to keep this watch for the rest of my life so I wish to take good care of it.

2. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 5, 2014

Well, would you drop your favourite car into an ultrasonic? (Sorry, couldn't help myself);)

If you think of a Speedmaster like a car, you will be on the right track. Although rated waterproof, they really are not for long, as the design is not up to waterproof needs, relying on gaskets that degrade. Certainly not up to immersion, or pressure. Water resistant perhaps, but I do not like to wash my hands with a speedmaster on - I do but avoid the water on the watch.

Having said that, my (charming/beautiful/lovely/normally intelligent) wife "accidentally" took a shower with her freshly serviced 1969 vintage speedmaster. Luckily I told the workshop she would probably do that, and we made sure it was waterproof. They also told me to check it every six months if I thought she would do it again.

Soft cloth - and wear it. Its a tool watch, after all, not a Patek.

Welcome to the speedy club. Get some scratches on it and you will be like the rest of us.

JohnSteed likes this.
  3. alpinamotorsport Aug 5, 2014

Thanks spacefruit. So I should not even wash it gently with Vereat under a gentle stream in my sink? I thought it was water resistant to 100m? No pool? No shower? thanks for clarifying.

4. Interstatetime Aug 5, 2014

No pool and no shower. People will argue but one day it won't be OK. You will come out of the pool or the lake and there will be water on the dial...which means water in the movement. The watch will never be the same again. If you shower with it soap scum will build up in places where your rinse doesn't get to. If you want a pool or shower watch buy a diver.

Having said that I don't think it hurts to scrub it with a damp tooth brush now and again...just have a soft towel handy to dry it especially around the crown and pushers right away.

Actually since it is new there will be instructions on care with it...why not just follow those.

JohnCote

alpinamotorsport and Spacefruit like this.
  5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 5, 2014

Its definitely not rated to 100M, 30/50M depending on the model, they're like cats, you can probably get away with dunking them but they really don't like it and its best to keep it dry.

6. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 5, 2014

Ok thats funny

7. alpinamotorsport Aug 5, 2014

got it. thank you all so much.

8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 5, 2014

Use a paint brush like a artist's style that is a bit softer than a toothbrush. ;)

9. alpinamotorsport Aug 5, 2014

10. alpinamotorsport Aug 5, 2014