Forums Latest Members

Caribbean nightmare-caution urged!

1. DAM Apr 14, 2015

I'm in the teeth of the gale, so if I'm not clear or err, please understand my state of mind.

This all began with a Celebrity Christmas cruise and my poor wife's desire, after 38 years of marriage, to buy me an Aqua Terra on the trip.

Feeling the glow of the trip and the holidays, we went immediately to an AD vouched for by Celebrity. Mistake number one.

I selected a lovely AT and was assured it was the most recent movement. Mistake number two.

We returned to the U.S. and I discovered the newer movement, the Master coaxial, and though the AD initially denied it, finally it agreed that is the newest and to replace mine. Mistake number three.

Next came a whole series of what I believe to be misrepresentations and apparent delay after delay regarding replacement of the watch I returned, at common carrier costs of about $100.00, and yet the latest claim that we must start all over since Omega, or some intermediary, failed to place the "special order." A multitude
    Of mistakes.

Now, mind you, I believe the AD is trapped, and now offers another 7-10 delay for a refund, which, given the totality of circumstances, I've rejected as not credible.

I've communicated with the FBI and the justice department about investigating wire or mail fraud. I will file FTC and AG complaints for deceptive or unfair trade practices. I may wind up suing the AD in U.S. district court for fraud, deceit, intentional or negligent misrepresentation.

There is a more complete factual context, but I've tried to hit the highlights.

Don't repeat my mistakes. Don't buy in the Carribean.

I'm treating the money as lost, but I'll not be treated this way, lightly.

Edit. This was a Christmas cruise.

Edited Apr 14, 2015
  2. lenny Apr 14, 2015

Did you use a credit card to pay? If so, what do they say on the matter?

3. DAM Apr 14, 2015

No. Cash, thus my stupidity and lesser legal position. The money is gone, but my remedies are not. It is no longer about the money, or the watch as I treat both as lost to me.

Edit. Thanks for the spirit of your reply. This is merely a warning to folks. Though retired and unsophisticated, I understand and will pursue the remedies which remain.

4. lenny Apr 14, 2015

Also, try contacting Omega directly. They have been known to get involved with less than honest ADs. Make sure you have a paper trail of of what they promised you.

5. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 14, 2015

If its the dealer who i think it is they are ;less than clued up on any watch let alone an Omega!

6. DAM Apr 14, 2015

Thanks, and I love the dog!

I suspect that would be a vain act as this AD likely generates huge sums for Omega, and the AD represents that Omega is at fault!

As for a trail, I have voluminous e mail communications and records of phone calls hence my contact with the F B I.

I opine they show a course of conduct of groundless delay or misrepresentation.

Sum: I'm a slow learner, but don't piddle on my leg and say it's raining.

7. DAM Apr 14, 2015

8. DAM Apr 14, 2015

Thanks for your reply. Were you to read the e mail, likely you would conclude otherwise.

I know nothing about the dealer other than Celebrity appears to have vouched for it.

9. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Apr 14, 2015

You state that the money is lost, yet you rejected their offer of a refund. Now you're involving the FBI.
    Maybe I'm missing something here?

10. DAM Apr 14, 2015

Make what you will of it. If the prior course of conduct continues, it is nothing but further delay. The AD has no credibility with me, and you assume the veracity of the very thing questioned.

Thanks for your comments.

Oh, I involved the FBI BEFORE the A D responded with a 7-10 "refund." So, if there is a causal connection, well, ....

11. DAM Apr 14, 2015

I think it bears repeating that this thread is about warning others to be careful, only. What you think about me, or my dealings is off topic.

Believe whatever you want, just be careful.

12. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Apr 14, 2015

Well, that's fair enough. But while we're handing out advice here I'll add a little of my own.
    Always do your homework before handing over a large wedge of cash for a watch, or anything else for that matter.

13. DAM Apr 14, 2015

Absolutely, thus my post! Caveat Carribean.

14. alam Apr 14, 2015

The Caribbean is a fairly large area. I'm assuming transanction took place in a US territory as you mentioned involving FBI/AG - correct? I'd say all three mistakes you mentioned can be summed into a one: paying w/cash for a relative high-cost item while traveling outside of your country of residency. :coffee:

15. DAM Apr 14, 2015

Yes, indeed. A parade of horrible so, a lesson for others!

Caveat Carribean.

16. DAM Apr 14, 2015

One of many contentions of delay and excuses for non-delivery:

"...followed up with our watch buyer who in turn contacted Omega. We had an email from Omega that the order had been placed, however they informed us today that their representative mistakenly did not place the order. We are awaiting an update from Omega on the timeframe of the shipment. I will keep you updated as I hear from Omega.

I am so sorry for their oversight."

What a study in tactical semantic ambiguity!

At every stage, when I fully complied with the AD's conditions, I was met with similar delays or further conditions!

I will contact Celebrity, tomorrow, since it "warranted" satisfaction with the AD. I'm sure that will go well, too. ;).

17. cuts33 Apr 14, 2015

I'm sorry for your troubles but in all fairness I don't think this has anything to do with the Caribbean or the cruise line.

You can go to many AD's on the "mainland" and find uninformed sales people who will say anything to land a sale.

This could had happened anywhere.

18. DAM Apr 14, 2015

Thanks for your comments.

I never stated or implied the cruise line bore any fault, only that it guaranteed satisfaction or fair dealing by the merchant.

As for the locus of this little affair, well, I disagree and certainly my remedies would be weightier and easier to pursue.

Again, this thread is a warning to others, and I assure you the AD is very well known.

Caveat Carribean is just code....

19. DAM Apr 15, 2015

Well, the AD has fully and finally thrown Omega under the bus, and in a model of tactical semantic ambiguity asserts that something will occur no later than April 21.

Of course, I'll be Johnny at the rathole.

This may have resulted from communications with Swatch, and I am thankful for the suggestion.

At the very least, Omega has a right to know that its conduct is the AD's claimed defense.

We shall see....

20. KCScott Apr 15, 2015

I know you are trying to do a service and warn others. Without the name of the AD and some specifics all we are being warned of is to beware of some unknown AD in the Caribbean. That covers a large area. I do hope you get satisfaction.