Car Clock from 1917 offered as an ORA ESATTA/Heure Exacte/ExactTime chronometer

I offer the following as an opinion – I may be wrong. I offer it for general interest – and also for anybody considering buying this car clock.

Currently offered on eBay (number 296568738005) and described as being a

“RARE VINTAGE OMEGA ORA ESATTA DESK CLOCK MANUAL WIND”

The price is $4000 (or best offer!)

Advert photos a.jpg

Advert photos b.jpg

As we find in Omega’s book ‘A Journey Through Time’, ‘cabinets’ were produced for chronometers. But these were high-quality products – and fitted with chronometers! The following from AJTT pp. 170 & 171:

AJTT extracts.jpg

Example.jpg

Above is another example, in this case a 20’’’DDR (chronometer).

The watch advertised is a 27’’’8-Day ‘Goliath’ which was a good product and served as Omega’s ‘big’ calibre for nearly 30 years – but it wasn’t a chronometer! In this case it was a car clock. The watch dates 1917.

Car clock advert.jpg

My suspicion is that the Ora Esatta box may be original – but the piece of wood on which the car clock is mounted in not – and the car clock was not the original chronometer!

I am not accusing the seller of any tricky business – he may not be aware himself. Both items are over 100 years old and who knows what has happened in that time?

But if I were to spend $4000 on this car clock, I’d want a good car to go with it.

Advert photos c.jpg

Like 7
Also on the theme of general interest, I watched a local auction a few months ago for a Jaeger Dusenberg car clock. I'm sure the vintage car clock collectors have their boutique knowledge, but how did they confirm it was for or from a Dusenberg? Either way, I was surprised that it sold for $22K CAD

d1.jpg d2.jpg d3.jpg d4.jpg

https://live.millerandmillerauction...nograph-duesenberg-accessory-automobile-clock

JAEGER CHRONOGRAPH DUESENBERG ACCESSORY AUTOMOBILE CLOCK
Estimate:

CA$1,200 - CA$1,500
SOLD

CA$22,000

LIVE AUCTION
Automobilia, Petroliana & Advertising | Featuring the Late Dr. Michael Francis collection
Size
Dial 3.25" Dia. Box: 5" x 5.5" x 2.25".
Description
American. 1930s. New York. This one features a 60-second hand and a 30-minute indicator, which allows the user to measure elapsed time in seconds and minutes. It is also an 8-day clock, meaning that it once could run for 8 days without needing to be wound. Marked, "W&S Inc", near the clasp. Marked, "Made in Switzerland".
Condition
Split through the leather in the top of the case.

Like 2
Interesting question. Very nice watch.

I have one of its cousins, which was used in planes

IMG_9599.jpeg
Edited:

Like 4