Forums Latest Members

Can't We All Just Be Friends

1. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Apr 9, 2017

I'm noticing a lot more hostility, unfriendliness and fairly rash arguments lately. Truly not a fan of all this type of negativity. Remember this is a hobby and it's supposed to be fun, and sharing it makes it more fun. No need to sass each other all the time.

That is all.
    -Jake

Longbow, dougiedude, Fritz and 68 others like this.
  2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 9, 2017

Well said.

Riviera Paradise and Kreindog24 like this.
  3. cvera Apr 9, 2017

Agreed, so much hate for members with uncles who gave them a watch.

Fritz, Rodmar, niko4891 and 3 others like this.
  4. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Apr 9, 2017

Since Darlinboy's MIA, let's not be pratts. B******s!!!

5. Baco Noir Apr 9, 2017

What? Has OF become TRF? Did I miss something?

Riviera Paradise and OMGRLX like this.
  6. Uniqez Apr 9, 2017

People start forgetting that every single person has own opinion and they are forgetting how to respect opinion of others.
    Also, instead of giving advice or share their thoughts, people are trying to be a smart asses and making others look stupid.
    P.S. Really actual thread @Jwit. I thought that it just me start noticing such a things.

7. Bumper Apr 9, 2017

What i've noticed is, some people can't stand to be corrected or shown to be incorrect. They ask for opinions but can't handle what's been given.
    Then they try to justify their position by stating one or more of the below;
    - how long they've been collecting
    - how many watches they have
    - how much they know about the watches...etc
    - father/grandfather/great-grandfather kept it original/never had it repaired

It's not just a particular thread, seems to be a recurring theme these days.
    And yes, as @Uniqez states, it doesn't help that some try to wind them up even more.

8. M.C.B1974 Apr 9, 2017

I'm new to the OF and have noticed many people making rude comments and displaying negativity.

9. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 9, 2017

It's been bothering me as well, bad form and unacceptable. There was a particularly egregious example today.

10. Uniqez Apr 9, 2017

That's for sure. I was kind of surprised that it was going that direction...

red crowned likes this.
  11. R3D9 Apr 9, 2017

As a new member, I can say I agree with @Jwit - the accumulation of knowledge on this forum is unparalleled, but sometimes, as an outsider, it can feel kind of like being a guest at the Old Boys Club.

If you don't speak the language or have the long-established connections and you say something the establishment disagrees with, you better be prepared for a pile-on and a few comments making you feel foolish.

The thing is, there's the flip side, where I feel privileged to have an opportunity to tap into all this wisdom and experience. I just wish it felt a little less like a visit to the Soup Nazi, if you know what I mean :whipped: :p

isaac.owen.nz, EatMan, Rodmar and 6 others like this.
  12. R3D9 Apr 9, 2017

13. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 9, 2017

Threads always go better when we talk about watches and post photos.
    I think the crabbiness is a result of not enough watch threads.
    Go on. Start a thread each.....all of you!
    IMG_2300.JPG

14. michael22 Apr 9, 2017

I could be friendly, but apparently I'm an asshole.
    Which presents the conundrum: what happens to friendly assholes?
    I don't want to be misused.

15. Kreindog24 Apr 9, 2017

Thanks Jake! Well said. I believe that most people come here, as I first did and still do, for an exchange of knowledge, to sometimes trade/buy/sell from equally passionate, trusted collectors, and mostly to engage with a community of likeminded enthusiasts that share this crazy passion. I have made lasting, important friendships in this wonderful fellowship of the horological on the OF with folks I would have never meet otherwise. For this I am grateful and feel blessed. Along the way I've even picked up some great tips outside of watches, with books, movies, food and music - all components of our larger world culture. I honestly look forward to my time here as special - it is many things at different times- part university, part library, part comedy club, part marketplace, part social club and always a sanctuary.

Like any community there will be be healthy differences of opinion and debate but if approached with a spirit of comraderie and kindness we can make this forum, our forum, one that is a welcome respite from the anger, lack or respect and civility that seems to have taken ahold of our larger world. I appreciate this place. Let's take care of it and each other. Peace - Chris

Omega1, niko4891, sxl2004 and 10 others like this.
  16. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Apr 9, 2017

I have been on vacation so not browsing as much. So I have not seen the hostility, unfriendlyness or arguments.

There are many new members and I think this is good.

Just got the Gemini4 back from service.

Here are some of my Speedmasters.

speedmasters.JPG

WYO_Watch, Syrte, tamura and 30 others like this.
  17. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Apr 9, 2017

18. M.C.B1974 Apr 9, 2017

Sexy collection of watches::love::

Taddyangle likes this.
  19. Aussie Jim Apr 9, 2017

Agree ++. What distinguished this forum from many others was that the dickhead factor was very low and the discussions not personal or disparaging. A bit of appropriate pizzling occurred, but clearly in good humour. There tone on some of the forum discussions is such that you really don't want to take part in them, and it has dulled my enthusiasm for reading every discussion.

It may be time for some firm moderation.

20. cvrle1 Apr 9, 2017

In a strange twist, things kinda started going downhill friendliness wise once this guy left

[​IMG]

Or maybe folks just started taking everything a lot more personally than before. Who knows.

dougiedude, Syrte, Fritz and 9 others like this.