Forums Latest Members
  1. marcn Enough space to say witty Mar 29, 2021

At least every few months, I agonize over whether or not to just pull the trigger and get this damned watch, if only to be done with the mental nagging. Still haven't done it. I can find nothing I don't love with it, but I think for me it comes down to knowing I won't wear it enough to convince myself I'm "making use of it", which will create new and different mental nagging, but I also can't seem to just move on! Being crazy is just crazy sometimes!!

https://nomos-glashuette.com/en/store/watches?o=9&cf=13#/en/club/club-campus-38-night-736

So... do you love something that's available, but that you just can't seem to pull the trigger on?

upload_2021-3-29_11-24-21.png

timoss and Vitezi like this.
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 29, 2021

Can you find one used that you won’t lose much on if you let it go due to non-use? Might be the better way to take it for a test drive.

marcn, Nobel Prize, Stewart A and 2 others like this.
  3. Caliber561 Mar 29, 2021

Maybe see if you can find one to look at in person?

4. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Mar 29, 2021

If it’s new, buy it with a 14 day return period

5. marcn Enough space to say witty Mar 29, 2021

I've not had the opportunity to go hands-on with anything from Nomos, so it's a good point. I should make a pilgrimage to Shreve & Co. in SF (I'm in Sacramento) and just handle something from the brand.

But does anyone else sort of agonize like this, or do you all just say "eff it!" and get what interests you just because you want it and may not wear it?

6. Scooterino36 Mar 29, 2021

I pulled the trigger on this watch late last year. I realized I enjoyed looking at the watch more than I did wearing it, so I ultimately ended up selling. I would like to add another Nomos at some point, but for my tastes it will either need to be a full on dress piece or something sportier.

marcn likes this.
  7. Scooterino36 Mar 29, 2021

This model is pretty common on the preowned market, at about 60% of grey market new. Def the wisest option, and not the option I chose ::facepalm1::

8. Walrus Mar 29, 2021

If you really like it and it’s something you can afford without issue what the hec man go for it. If seeing it in your collection will make you happy what the hec, why not. If you don’t think you will wear that often used may not be a bad idea, but I know some people like new things when possible. Shoot people here have hundreds of watches, how often can they actually wear everything. I have almost enough watches for everyday of the month (not including March with the 31 days) he majority are not big ticket items but I like them all and each one means something to me. I have two or three put aside I’m going to give to people who want to start a watch collection and have little means to do so, mind you they aren’t nomos or anything fancy and I’m not suggesting you do that I’m just going of on a tangent cause that’s what I do.

9. Rado63 Mar 29, 2021

I feel you may have answered your own question. If you have reservations then you just are not ready to make a purchase of this piece. Unless one can afford to just buy everything on a whim, I imagine we all debate a watch purchase.

10. timoss Mar 29, 2021

I feel you. This happens to me ALL the time, mostly because I like so many watches, many of them affordable (to me), so I have to constantly hold myself back and try to stay focused on the ones I feel strongly about and/or are more expensive and require conserving funds for.

marcn likes this.
  11. Pazzo Mar 29, 2021

Arabic..Roman..indices....:thumbsdown:

kkt likes this.
  12. ikanbilisclub Mar 29, 2021

My own personal struggle is loving something that is unavailable due to its rarity or available at an inflated price. :(

13. NGO1 Mar 29, 2021

Don’t do it.
    Something else will come along and pull your string harder.
    Close, but no cigar.
    Don’t rush it

marcn and ikanbilisclub like this.
  14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 29, 2021

I need to sell my ST2 and get the CA dial Pam I’ve been listing over for years.

marcn likes this.
  15. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 29, 2021

This happens to me. Sometimes I bite and sometimes I’m smart about it. I have a few watches that are not even being used as beaters that I thought I would enjoy.

they’re nice, nothing wrong with them, but at the end did the day I can appreciate them without owning them.

Like with this one, these watches are barely worth selling so they end up staying in the box and being used once every few months.

16. marcn Enough space to say witty Mar 30, 2021

I've had several much longer drafts going for a few hours, but it finally dawned on me that with watches, and for actually a lot of things, a "maybe" is actually "no".

Maybe's don't ultimately scratch whatever the itch is, and I guess Nomos, while it's a brand I love and think is doing so many things incredibly right, on some level I suppose I know it's probably not going to hit the mark for me. They're a "maybe" brand, easily sidelined when new shiny things come from Rolex or Omega.

As interesting as Nomos is, Rolex and Omega dominate my mind, and I do have to say... the new lollipop SM 300... feeling like that's going to be almost impossible to say no to. But if not... hey "maybe Nomos" then? ;)

Foo2rama likes this.
  17. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Mar 30, 2021

I have it the exact same way with another Glashütte watch, the Glashütte Original SeaQ in 39,5mm with blue dial.

10D0C508-3B5C-4BA5-AA29-D361FF025E16.jpeg 8E59758E-8791-4ADE-B4B8-284EF97B18D2.jpeg

I really really REALLY like the watch but a couple of things are holding me back. First, it’s quite expensive at almost 10,000 EURO, which takes a bit of saving up (or selling one of my other watches but can’t decide which, so saving up it is).

Second, there is the movement. It’s quite an old movement with a 40 hour power reserve. I know it probably won’t matter as I usually wear the same watch a couple of days a time and then leave it for a week or so but still for a watch of that price a longer power reserve would be nice.

Third, and I know this is kind of an invalid argument as this is the one I have fallen in love with, but compared to other divers that costs way less, it can be a little hard to see where your money is spent (obviously a some was spent on the hand finished movement, which you can’t see)

So I have fallen for it and isolated it is so beautiful but compared to other offerings by Omega for example, the price can seem a bit steep.

But perhaps that is what falling in love is all about :) You can’t quite explain it

Stewart A, marcn and Nobel Prize like this.
  18. marcn Enough space to say witty Mar 30, 2021

This was my sentiment too for quite a while, but it's grown on me! I particularly appreciate the "IV" and not "IIII" and the blue outlines on the numerals/indices. I have got to see this thing in real life at some point!

Pazzo likes this.
  19. marcn Enough space to say witty Mar 30, 2021

I think you mentioned that watch on the mars zoom call! Is it a "maybe" watch for you, or are you for sure getting it at some point?

20. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 30, 2021

I think for sure... luckily the Pam store has been not accessible due to covid and I’ve not had a chance to try it on again.

marcn likes this.