Forums Latest Members
  1. ExpiredWatchdog Jan 26, 2022

Mods & Maintainers:
    For the past six months or so, I haven't been able to add any pictures to my posts. When I drag and drop, I get a spinning wheel for a second and then nothing. If I try through the "Add Photos" button, it steps through the motions and then complains with a dialog from the site (angry cat, who else would add an angry cat) that says an error occurred in uploading picture.

Then last night, it suddenly worked.... for exactly one picture. I tried using Edge (ugggh) instead of Chrome and saw no difference.

Thanks
    Dave

BTW, seems to work fine on Cal11

Edited Jan 26, 2022
  2. sleepyastronaut Jan 26, 2022

Win10? Are you behind a firewall? Are you able to open Chrome's console to view the error? Any browser extensions you can disable?

3. Evitzee Jan 26, 2022

Make sure the file size isn't HUGE.

4. sleepyastronaut Jan 26, 2022

How huge are we talking?

For reference, I have no issues uploading pics at 4MB.

5. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jan 26, 2022

Are you trying to upload pictures of an Invicta? That’d explain it.

cvalue13, vitriol, Badwolf and 5 others like this.
  6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 26, 2022

Pictures on iPhone stolen from Google or anywhere I have to edit (change brightness or crop a few mm) and usually they work.

My pictures work no issues

7. NGO1 Jan 26, 2022

were you trying to start a "I can't buy no steel Rolex, why me Lord!?" thread.
    I'm having the same issues.

cvalue13 and DaveK like this.
  8. ExpiredWatchdog Jan 29, 2022

The Chrome console outed the culprit, my company's firewall. Posting pictures opens of.net/attachments/do-upload.json with some session data following. Clicking on the event in the console takes me to a standard error message that we often see when visiting forbidden sites, only this time it specifically says it's blocking the posting.

So, I wonder why it works on Cal11; I suppose they haven't added it to a blacklist.

Thanks for the help. I guess I'll just have to rely on ASCII art from now on. Hope you all like it.

I do wonder how I was able to post one picture tho.

sleepyastronaut likes this.
  9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 30, 2022

Way back in the day when we were using Friden Flexowriters, one of my mates had a tape reel that, when printed, did a pic of a beautiful girl, nude, boobs and all.

When a newbie came to the section, he'd ask them to run it and do an error check for him :D.

It all went pear shaped when one young lady tore the print off (only half way through) and took it to her sergeant.

sleepyastronaut likes this.
  10. ExpiredWatchdog Jan 30, 2022

I did discover why I was able to post a particular picture. The one in question was copied from a page on a website. When inspecting the source once the picture was in the edit box, I saw that the picture came from the website in question and never spent time on my machine, other than appearing in the edit box (this box I'm typing in).

This leads me to a workaround. I temporarily post the picture to a entry I've already posted to on another forum where I can post pictures, then I copy and paste it to the OF edit box and post it, then remove it from the other forum.

I wonder how long it's gonna be before I can no longer post to any board? :(

11. cvalue13 Jan 30, 2022

If only there were some way to purchase a computer that wasn’t firewalled … :cool:

Or a “smart phone” (they’re calling it)…

Archer and YY77 like this.
  12. ExpiredWatchdog Jan 31, 2022

Oh Contraire. We discovered a firewall of sorts on a Caribbean cruise over the holiday, on my wife's new iPhone 13 Pro. There's a feature called iCloud Data Relay and it was keeping her phone from connecting to the ship's Wi-Fi. It's purpose is similar to a VPN, to mask your traffic from 'last mile' providers, but may also block content.

The odd thing was, we bought nearly identical phones and hers was enabled, where mine wasn't.

I did discover a flaw in my reasoning above; the message I posted a picture from another website in has the other website as the source. This will work so long as the other website doesn't take the page or picture down. If they do (or I do as suggested above) then the picture will turn into one of those broken link symbols for eternity.

Since I want my voice to ring FOREVER....

cvalue13 likes this.