Forums Latest Members

Canadian Academic Schools Richard Burr (US Senator R-NC) in Healthcare Exchange

1. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Mar 13, 2014

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Mar 13, 2014

Our elected public officials once again succeeding only in making themselves look stupid...

3. ulackfocus Mar 13, 2014

She gave him a nice verbal pummeling, didn't she? Sounded like the most professional smack down so far this year.

4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Mar 13, 2014

Obamacare was written by Big Pharma and insurance companies. Corporatocracy at its finest.

LouS likes this.
  5. CdnWatchDoc Mar 13, 2014

Ok, gotta get a Cdn in here...and worse, a doctor!! The American health care system is great for those who can pay-access to any doctor or hospital, any diagnostic procedure, cutting edge treatments. No one will argue with that. However, there is a huge number of people who can't access that level of health care, and effectively have no health care-worse than many third world countries! This becomes a problem for the people who measure the state of the country's health and compare it to others around the world. Child death rates, maternal death rates, ave life spans, and many other comparators are all worse in the US versus many European and Asian countries. I will not deny that Canadians wait longer for accessing certain procedures and diagnostic imaging, but the outcomes are rarely affected by this wait. Canadians live longer than Americans, and not just by a few months, but more than 3 years; and that is all comers-so a little waiting doesn't appear to have caused problems. Some years ago, US and Canada were equal....
    I agree with many of you that the insurance companies, and the drug companies are running the system, not the consumers. Here the governments and bureaucrats run the systems, but at least I can still chose what treatments to give and what drugs to write. I don't have quotas to meet or insurance companies to answer to. I have done some work in the US (did some time training at the Mayo), so I understand the system, and I am continually impressed by the advances that come out of some of the Universities and academic centers. It is very sad that those advances are not accessible to all.
    I see that politician stupidity exists on both sides of the border...Oy Vey!
    Whew, I am stepping off my soap box...

Archer likes this.
  6. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Mar 13, 2014

Burr seems like a decent fella. He sits on the board of a children's hospital. I think he has some depth of knowledge regarding healthcare. It seemed to me that he was genuinely curious in his questioning.

Anecdotes are meaningful if they're common experience and not unique . I guess it's a little touchy when Canadian politicians go to another country for medical care? Maybe he just likes the weather in Florida! When did Canadians get so prideful?? Canada rocks! Americans go to Costa Rica for cosmetic surgery because it's cheap. I don't think many Americans are resentful of Costa Rica over this. hehehe

My son is one of the top high school wrestlers in the country. That's a pretty big deal. Before this season, he suffered a partial MCL tear and we had to make a medical decision which would impact the rest of his athletic and academic career.

Anyway, long story, boring: From the day of his injury to his surgery was 8 days. This included (2) MRI's and a scope. By any definition, the surgery was medically elective. But, he was able to wrestle a full season because of quick treatment which for our family was a happy ending.

Perhaps things would have been different if we lived someplace other than NYC or some other big metro center? Dunno.

7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 13, 2014

While I'm in a rant mood..........................

I'm in Oz, land of Medicare and Private Health cover.

I have top private medical/extras/hospital cover.

I've had to have some slicin'n'dicin' done recently, and after adding up the bills, I'm $10K out of pocket :eek:

If I was an average person with no private cover, it wouldn't have cost me a cent, but the wait would have killed me eventually.

I 'spose I can look at the $10K as a tip to the doorman to get me into the "theatre" at the head of the queue, at least I starred in two performances :D

8. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Mar 14, 2014

Glad you're OK!

I like you lol

btw - never got the Rotary (seller was a total d bag) but...I finally, after so many tries, picked off a watch from our friend Alex in Mexico City. Nuthin' special but i love compressor cases and this one looks pretty solid!
    Tell me what you think - be frank...

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  9. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Mar 14, 2014

hopefully I killed off a potential political thread with some watch photos but I fear the watch may not be strong enough.

10. SeanO Mar 14, 2014

I think your Kung-fu is strong enough.

11. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Mar 14, 2014

Unfortunately not.
    Your 8 day turn around is an example of what is wrong with US healthcare. Purely elective stuff gets priority because you can pay. While those with a greater need wait because they cant pay.

X350 XJR likes this.
  12. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Mar 14, 2014

Jim, if you are interested ive got details of average wait times for all categorirs of surgery in Victoria at work. But basically around 75% of elective surgery is conducted within "clinically recommended times". Now for what is classed as low priority, clinically recommended is "within 1 year"...

13. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Mar 14, 2014

:D

14. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Mar 14, 2014

Not sure poorest have best health insurance - many don't qualify for medicaid and many who do don't know they're qualified and many states because they are already running budget deficits don't do anything to promote this.

I would agree that many independent contractors and small business owners have it hard but the health care exchanges help some - a form of cost sharing over a large number of patients, no huge surplus if you have a preexisting condition and subsidies if your income is middle class or lower.

And the 8 day turnaround is a function of the insurance you have and your location.

My personal feeling is that health insurance is a right rather than a privilege and us such what is needed is a health care based system rather than a health insurance based system. I have seen way too many patients suffer because they lack the means to obtain some pretty standard drugs.

CanberraOmega and X350 XJR like this.