Forums Latest Members
  1. Toscano Apr 27, 2017

Hi everyone!

I'm not an expert on Omega watches (or any other brand, for that matter...).
    Recently I was helping my father clean his attic, and we found this Omega in a box of belongings from my late grandfather. My father actually swears he's got a couple more Omegas like this one lying around somewhere. Maybe they'll pop up eventually.
    Apart from a few scratches, it still looks very good and everything seems to function properly.
    My father tells me they must have been purchased in the late 60's, a few years before I was born, so it's probably some 60's model.
    Can someone tell me something about this watch?
    I don't have any documentation, and on the watch itself it doesn't say the model name.

I'm planning on cherishing it, but not wearing it, as it seems too small for my wrist.
    I don't care if it's worth $20 or $200, as I'm never going to sell it.

Just wanted to know a bit more of this piece of History I now possess.

And I'm guessing I better start shopping around for an Omega of my own now, right? ;)

Thanks!

André Toscano

IMG_7598.JPG

IMG_7600.JPG

Vitezi likes this.
  2. Gordon Heavyfoot Apr 27, 2017

Nice watch. Simply google Omega Chronostop Geneve and you'll uncover a plethora of information on your heirloom.

Mark020 and Toscano like this.
  3. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Apr 27, 2017

Toscano likes this.
  4. Davidt Apr 27, 2017

Looks like a Geneve Chronostop with the original bracelet. These seem to go for around £600 in decent condition.

Search this forum and google and you'll get info and other examples.

Toscano likes this.
  5. Toscano Apr 27, 2017

You're right! It does say "Chronostop" on the dial. I dismissed it as I thought it just said the usual "Chronograph".
    Thanks!

6. Toscano Apr 27, 2017

Wow!
    That's amazing! People are still paying close to 800€ / $900 for this model! These watches really keep their value.
    Thanks.

7. Davidt Apr 27, 2017

Just don't confuse it with the larger chronostop, which go for more money.

The Geneve is slightly smaller.

8. Toscano Apr 27, 2017

Thanks.
    You're right, it's a Chronostop.
    I'm still baffled that it's worth this much (although to me it's priceless)...
    I mean, I know good brands keep their value, but I (wrongfully) assumed that the Seamasters and Speedmasters were the most valuable Omega collectibles.
    Good to know I'm holding on to a good gem now.
    Now lets see if the remaining ones belonging to my father do pop up! :)

Cheers!

9. Toscano Apr 27, 2017

Yeah, this one has a 35mm (crown excluded) case diameter.
    I do remember my father wearing a bigger one, so now I'm extra-motivated to find it!

Cheers!

Davidt and UncleBuck like this.
  10. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Apr 27, 2017

Please, please don't do anything until we've had a chance to look at your finds and then let the experts share their knowledge.

You have a quality watch that will last your lifetime and be a nice heirloom as long as you properly maintain it.

Keep it completely all-original !!!! No polishing or dial cleaning at this point and don't wind it!
    Perhaps start looking around for a quality, experienced watchmaker.

While you are searching for the other watches, keep an eye out for the boxes or papers.

Davidt and Toscano like this.
  11. Toscano Apr 27, 2017

Well, we're kind a little late for the "don't wind it" part, I'm afraid... though I didn't do it much, just enough to check the watch and chronograph were working. Hopefully I didn't screw anything up!...

I will take it to a service center and ask for a clean up/maintenance check up.
    Completely **not** interested in polishing or glass replacement or any stuff like that to try and hide the watch's past.
    One of the small dings on the watch case was probably inflicted by me when I was learning to ride a bycicle in the old country house. How could I get rid of that?

Cheers!

12. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 27, 2017

Not so much that they have kept their value, but that they have regained their value and then some, because for most of their lives they were just used watches.

Yours is a treasure with a story, which gives it so much more than a monetary value!

13. jimmyd13 Apr 27, 2017

Hi and welcome to the forum.

This is where your google-fu will come into its own. If you take this watch to your local shopping mall or jeweller's shop, you're going to hear "Oh, we'll have to send that to Switzerland for servicing and it will cost $/£/Eu1000". Track down your local family owned jewellers shops or watchmaker. You're looking for a watchmaker who has an Omega account - they do exist, but they can be hard to find. When you do that, you can get this serviced for one fifth of what a shopping centre strap-changer will quote and you'll be very happy with the result.

Mark020, Toscano and UncleBuck like this.
  14. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Apr 27, 2017

You are scaring me to death! You don't want a Butcher doing Surgeon's work. Remember to take your time!

Great advice from Jimmy, vet them carefully and feel free to discuss them here. If you tell us your area, we may even have recommendations.

Let me get this straight....the watch has a ding probably made by you as a 5 year old and you want to remove this?

The world is full of fabricated perfection, but you will learn (I hope) just how much more precious and sentimental it will be wearing it exactly as your Dad did and perhaps, your Son will.

Davidt likes this.
  15. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 27, 2017

"Let me get this straight....the watch has a ding probably made by you as a 5 year old and you want to remove this?"

I think he was saying how could I conceivably get rid of the ding, it's part of the watch's history, I would never do that.

Toscano likes this.
  16. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Apr 27, 2017

Thanks Norman, perhaps I misread it. I thought @Toscano was thinking of having the ding removed and I was going to quote your statement from the other day,
    "Do not polish the watch and make no attempt at "cleaning" the dial. Leave the watch as is except for a servicing of the movement. A vintage watch's value both monetarily and sentimentally is in its originality, bumps, bruises, aging and all."

Edited Apr 27, 2017
    Toscano likes this.
  17. Toscano Apr 27, 2017

Sorry, that maybe came backwards...
    What I meant to say was that I don't want to alter the aesthetics of this watch in any way.
    I happen to agree with you 100%.

Cheers!

UncleBuck likes this.
  18. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Apr 27, 2017

Bless you!
    You are going to enjoy this, my friend.

Toscano likes this.
  19. Toscano Apr 27, 2017

I've made a few calls, and it seems there is an authorised service center here in Lisbon, Portugal.
    It's a small and old company that have been doing this for more than 30 years now. They're called "Analogico".

They've quoted me something around the 330€+ mark (about $360 or £280) for a complete check-up including the replacement of any needed internal parts.

Is this a fair price that one can be expected to pay for servicing a machine like this?

Thanks.

Mark020 likes this.
  20. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Apr 27, 2017

Sounds a little pricey, but they are compensating for unknown parts need.

Let's hope our Portugese/Spanish Brothers join us,
    Hey @Vintage! Any advice?

l