Forums Latest Members
  1. LuminousMaximus Jul 18, 2013

My father gave it to me and then it stopped working. So i sent it to OMEGA repair and they sent it to Switzerland. They said they had to replace the Hands, Bezel, Crystal, Face, springs, and Case! they said they would not charge me for case, but it is similar to the one I had which was 18kt Gold.

The origional case was thin Gold and this one is pretty thick. Does anyone know how I can estiate the amount of Gold in the case and bracelet?

It says the movement in the watch is a 1002 and was state of the art for the time, but is it a good movement?

What do you think of the watch and what or how could it be valued?

IMG_0143.JPG IMG_0144.JPG IMG_0145.JPG IMG_0142.JPG IMG_0141.JPG IMG_0144.JPG 22599-277a28d9fc0f9e2a5dbdeb9ba550b14f.jpg 22598-7188cea4fe46019929cebbe27e230d5f.jpg
  2. LuminousMaximus Jul 18, 2013

Sorry I accidently posted too many photos, and they also came upside dow? they were right side up on my computer... oh well thanks for your patience

3. John R Smith Jul 18, 2013

" They said they had to replace the Hands, Bezel, Crystal, Face, springs, and Case! they said they would not charge me for case, but it is similar to the one I had which was 18kt Gold."

Well, if they had to do all that then it is effectively a new watch :confused: - I'm surprised they kept the movement . . . or did they?

4. rick42650 Jul 18, 2013

to get an approximate weight; weigh the entire watch and band in grams...then deduct about 18-20 grams for movement-dial-hands and crystal....obviously not exact-but should be an estimate....I would have the watch opened to confirm the replaced case is 18k....

5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 19, 2013

Geneve dial and a (maybe stainless?) DeVille caseback?

If the bracelet and case are gold, they should have hallmarks, both on the bracelet and inside the caseback.

If the case is gold it should have a small mark on one of the lugs.

I don't want to alarm you, but my nose is twitchin'.....

6. LuminousMaximus Jul 19, 2013

Thanks for your replies and your help with my dads watch!

John--> The movement when i sent it to them was a 1002, but i have not opened it after they fixed it for me. the old Gold case that they kept was a snap on back and this one appears to be screw on?

rick42650--> Thanks for that estimate I did weigh it and the total watc was right at 80grams. So i subtracted 20 and got 60? Does that seem reasonable? I still dont know what the piece would really be worth. I'd like to think a lot...lol!

JiminOz--> here is the information i got from Omega Representative at the Omega Boutique written below. It might be better to start at the bottom and work your way up. Origionally the case back was a thin 18kt gold with only an inscribed letter and number combination. They said that they could not return the old gold case back to me, but would not charge me for the new case.

There is a hallmark right between the 2 lugs, its kinda hard to see what it is even with 10x magnification. but it is oval in nature...?

Here is some of the questions and answers i sent them:

Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 12:26 PM
    Jul 10

Message starred

Show Details
    From
    To

Good Afternoon Sam,

The watch which you turned in for repair could have originally housed that movement, but a number of things could have occurred. It is possible that maybe the dial was repaired or replaced at some point, also there is a chance the case could have been replaced.. The only way to be sure, is if there were repair/service records with the watch.

The 1002 caliber was released in 1968. It replaced the 550/560 caliber family, as it was thinner and had a less powerful rotor that gave a lower winding speed and therefore, theoretically, less wear. It had some of the most modern technologies of the time like self-lubrication and a rapid date-corrector. A total of 1.5 million units were produced, the series being one of Omega’s best-selling automatic calibers.

OMEGA

Principal Office: The Swatch Group Les Boutiques (U.S.) Inc.
    1200 Harbor Blvd Weehawken NJ 07086 USA

Thanks for contacting the repair folks. I am curious as to what movement should have been in the watch that I gave you to repair, and where should the 1002 movement have gone into?

Also, is the 1002 movement a quality model and what year did it come out?

I have been set on a Rolex, but with all the great service Omega and you have given me, I am feeling better about becoming part of the Omega family. Going to do more research on watches...

Hello Sam,

Here is the information I have received from our service center;

1. In regards to how waterproof your timepiece is; Because of the watch’s age, we would advise that you would limit exposure to moisture, and at the most only wear the watch when washing hands. We would advise against swimming, showering with, or submerging the timepiece.
    2. Since the case tube was damaged, the entire case of the watch needed to be replaced. Since the damage was not noticed in diagnostics, we did not charge you for the case. Also, it is the service department’s policy to not return cases after repair.
    3. The backing, as well as the entire case itself is 18K Yellow Gold.
    4. While it is true that we did in fact make timepieces branded as “Genève” until 1979, none of them contained Caliber 1002, which is what is inside your watch. We have also in our history released many timepieces which bear two names. For example, “Seamaster De Ville” or “Genève Dynamic”. It is to our watchmaker’s best knowledge and expertise that this is indeed the correct and appropriate case back for your timepiece. Considerably, the new 18K Yellow Gold case back bearing the name De Ville will not, by any means, “devalue” your timepiece.

I hope this answers any questions you may have. If I can help you with anything else, Sam, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Principal Office: The Swatch Group Les Boutiques (U.S.) Inc.
    1200 Harbor Blvd Weehawken NJ 07086 USA

PPlease consider the environment before printing this e-mail

Galleria, California.

RE: repair number

1. I wanted to know if my gold watch that was just repaired is waterproof at all? (I noticed a black rubber ring about 1.5 inches in dia. in the parts bag.)

2. Still would like to inquire as to the original gold backing of the watch?
    a. can I get it back?
    b. Why did it need to be replaced?

3. Is the new backing which reads, "Seville" 18 kt like the rest of the watch or 14kt?

4. Since the watch is a Geneve, will having Seville on the back which is clearly not a similar piece devalue the watch?

5. Please reply when and if you receive this email, that you got the email.

Thnak you

Samuel

Sent from Windows Mail

*******************************************************************************
    This e-mail message is intended only for the addresse(s) and contains
    information which may be confidential. If you are not the intended
    recipient please do not read, save, forward, disclose or copy the contents
    of this e-mail. If this e-mail has been sent to you in error, please delete this
    e-mail and any copies or links to this e-mail completely and immediately
    from your system. We also like to inform you that communication via e-mail
    over the Internet is insecure because third parties may have the possibility
    to access and manipulate e-mails.
    Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender,
    except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of
    The Swatch Group Ltd.

This e-mail message is intended only for the addresse(s) and contains
    information which may be confidential. If you are not the intended
    recipient please do not read, save, forward, disclose or copy the contents
    of this e-mail. If this e-mail has been sent to you in error, please delete this
    e-mail and any copies or links to this e-mail completely and immediately
    from your system. We also like to inform you that communication via e-mail
    over the Internet is insecure because third parties may have the possibility
    to access and manipulate e-mails.
    Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender,
    except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of
    The Swatch Group Ltd.

7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 19, 2013

Omega (Switzerland) has the capability to pull an abstract on your movement via, the serial number, which would tell you exactly the original configuration of your watch, the case reference number and model name, and what would have been on the dial (though not the actual dial appearance as there are many dial styles for a specific model)

8. LuminousMaximus Jul 19, 2013

22739-deee6b1199d92e082f119429708502b6.jpg 22736-447703eb0957e98b5220ba90c6939f8d.jpg wanted to try showing the hallmark pic:

Does anyone think that having Geneve on the front and SEville on the back devalues the case even though OMEGA says it shouldn't?

i have to look around but i tried deleting 2 of the upside down pictures but it keeps poping up an eagle that says hes sorry bt i cant do that...lol?

IMG_0160.JPG
  9. OttawaMan Jul 19, 2013

It's not Seville....it's Deville

10. Patrick Dixon How do these messages get here? Jul 19, 2013

It's a bit odd that if they replaced both the face and the case/caseback, they didn't at least replace them with ones that matched!

11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 19, 2013

Your photos have been adjusted.

12. Sherbie Jul 21, 2013

Remind me to never, ever send a watch to omega for servicing etc - they are butchers!

Basically none of the watch now resembles the OPs family heirloom.

Very sad indeed.

13. LuminousMaximus Jul 23, 2013

Should I ask Omega to replace the face of the watch or new case or reimburse me for the damage they have done?

14. Sherbie Jul 23, 2013

You could certainly try going down this route. But i guess that if you didnt leave implicit instructions NOT to change dial, case, etc, then Omega will argue that they were only doing their best, and were doing "what was right " for the watch.

15. LuminousMaximus Jul 28, 2013

Update...

I spoke to manager at Omega and she said that they usually don't work on watches that are not entirely Omega, and that since they had my watch for so long and since they were already working on the watch to make a gracious gesture by restoring what they could at this point. She went on to say that they could have charged me the $3000 for the Solid Gold case but did not. She also sad that the case back and bezel was exchanged some point along the way by a plastic gold colored bezel and a gold plated case, by Other-than-omega repair people. She said I was really lucky that they went the extra mile to make it right and at their cost.

She also said that the Geneve watch has always been a bit smaller than the DeVille and the face was a bit smaller then the DeVille, so they could not simply replace the face to say DeVille to match the case. It seems that the case was never an Original Omega piece.

I want to thank Omega and it's Repair people for restoring what must have been a hack job from my fathers purchase in Portugal in the early 70's. I feel that under the circumstances they went out of their way to make the best watch they could with the Original 1002 movement that was in the supposed Omega case. I'm not sure if I'm the exception or the rule, but I am [leased with my watch as shown above. Oh and it has only lost 20 seconds in 3 weeks.

Lastly, I did weigh my watch and it weighs 80 grams. So if I take 80 minus 19grams for the movement, I get 61 grams of 18kt Gold. I really like that something so old can keep such good time and look good doing it.

And if anyone asks, "Yes Omega DID make a one-off Geneve-DeVille" in July of 2013. It's said to be as exclusive as a Patek Phillipe and cost as much too...

Thanks to all who chimed in, it's great you took the time to help...

IMG_0169.JPG IMG_0164.JPG IMG_0166.JPG
  16. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 28, 2013

Keep your paper work and a record of your conversations (facts, names, dates) and now you've got provenance too. :thumbsup:

MKelley likes this.
  17. Thomas Williams Jul 30, 2013

I'm new here, but my first Omega is a Seamaster 2541.80. I took some pics of the watch for insurance and I wore it for several years. It started stopping at night. I sent it to an AD, he sent it back to Switzerland for repair. 3 months go by and my watch comes back. I never had it serviced again or went anywhere near a watchmaker. I got interested in vintage Omegas a few months ago - so I examine the only Omega I own - and the back is wrong! It had a caseback from an America's Cup watch! I compared the back with pics I had taken before and can conclude that the only place that could have happened is at Omega in Switzerland. Called Otto Frei - got the correct caseback, but it will be a while before the Omega Borg sees my watches again.

18. LuminousMaximus Jul 30, 2013

cincindela--?thanks for fixing pic's and the tip for keeping paperwork. Although I'm excited about my first automatic watch that was a hnad down from father, my excitement is waning. It seems to be a lot of hassle and if I were to ever sell the buyer will not want to hear the story or see the paperwork. I feel that it is a hack job and not so much from Omega as it is from all the shady people that my father used to repair/clean or should I say swindle his 18kt Gold Genève. The other bothersome thing is that it may not even be a total Original piece from Omega, since we don't have a track record we will never know. At some point, I just want to either put it in the safe and wear it occasionally or sell it and forget all the issues that go along with it. I just don't' want to have to explain anything other than, "I bought this Omega Planet Ocean from Omega Boutique and it's 100% original.

I have always strived to keep things in proper order and this watch just bugs the heck out of me.

Thomas--> I hear what you are saying and have heard it before from another chap, and he said the same thing even before he knew of my story! I don't have the answer for you but hope either Omega or another manufacturer can step it up a bit with the handling or their watches.

lol! Omeaga Borg... you will be ascimilated!

Sherbie & Patrick--> You are correct it is sad, especially when you expect that once they send it to Switzerland it would come back better than it left. My situation is of course, skewed as far as better goes...

Atawaman-->thx for the clarification though at this point it really doesn't matter. It's a POS as far as I'm concerned. Again not bad mouthing Omega; I just don't know if it was ever original sine my father may have purchased from an unscrupulous dealer in Portugal in 1969-70

JiminOz--> Please Twitch your nose a little harder like the American TV show, "I Dream Of Jeanie," in hopes or retung my watch to an original piece...{:<

Rick42650--> Thanks for the formula. My watch weighs total 80grams. How does that sound for a watch that size?

John r Smith--> Unfortunately they did keep the movement, although it really does keep good time. I read where there was a fix and as long as the movement gets it' lubrication in a timely manner it will run for ten's of years...