Forums Latest Members

Can you speculate the crystal size by just seeing it?

1. lonemian Aug 1, 2018

I know this is a stupid question... but I believe in the mighty OFers!!!

I have to order a crystal while I dont have the watch. I left it back in my country before flying to UK.

What I have is a picture of the watch. endlinks and bracelet are not original.

Would you challenge for this speculation?

Thanks!!

E354B0FC-12FE-49D2-B211-C0634FA6F144.jpeg
  2. S.H. Aug 1, 2018

Maybe in the 300 range? But this look like a tension ring crystal, you have to order either the relevant omega part number (you need the watch case ref usually) or a generic (you have to pop off the crystal and take an accurate measure of the diameter)

lonemian likes this.
  3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 1, 2018

[​IMG]

Provide us with the case reference and I'll look up the correct Omega crystal number for you. I would definitely recommend against using a generic crystal...

Cheers, Al

lonemian likes this.
  4. tamura Aug 1, 2018

5. lonemian Aug 1, 2018

What is the problem with generic omega crystals? I’m going to order some for my other omega watches... Do they have omega logo engravings in the center?

6. lonemian Aug 1, 2018

BAE05F95-BB2A-4A2C-9FC5-74F71D1791CB.jpeg
  7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 1, 2018

The tension ring design on Omega crystals is often different from generics...leading to possible casing issues...

lonemian likes this.
  8. j.allen Aug 1, 2018

I often use generic omega because the original is not often available. It takes a good amount of force to put in the tension ring crystal .my boss asked me to replace it on his solid gold seamaster ans I declined. The force required have distorted the case. Also, there is no question the originals fit better. Sometimes though, we have no alternative. I am happier with my originals .

9. lonemian Aug 1, 2018

Let me make it clear: the omega generic crystals that I can order from cousinsuk have the issues? or you means non-omega crystals?

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 1, 2018

I'm assuming the place you work for does not have a parts account with Omega - is there a reason they don't pursue it?

BTW I'm not referring to the fit of the crystal in the case, but the shape of the tension ring.

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 1, 2018

I have no idea - I don't use generic crystals for Omega watches, because I only order original crystals from Omega directly. I've never seen one of the crystals that Cousins sells for Omega, so I don't know if the tension rings are formed properly or not. I have heard that the quality of those crystals are questionable from other watchmakers though. I've seen fake Omega crystals in fake packaging floating around as well, so for me the only place I'm ordering a crystal for an Omega from, is Omega.

lonemian likes this.
  12. lonemian Aug 1, 2018

I’m looking for crystals for my constellation and seamaster. is it possible to source them from omega?! can you share the way? and price?

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 1, 2018

Sure. Go to watchmaking school, graduate, start your own shop, get some experience, spend the money to fully equip your shop to meet Omega standards, then apply for a parts account, take the mandatory training, and then you can buy all the crystals you want.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Al ;)

felsby, Vitezi and M'Bob like this.