Forums Latest Members
  1. Memphis Stout Oct 19, 2015

Hello Gentlemen-

The links at the top of this thread are not working. So here goes another ebay query:

I bid on this watchPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network last night and won it. However I am becoming more dubious on its qualities in the light of day.

Can you provide any insight?

Cons: Coming from South Korea, Black Dial (rare), Year not listed, back not original.

Pros: Good Looking watch, and I thought the price was decent. However maybe too good to be true.

Thoughts?

Thank you.

2. Memphis Stout Oct 19, 2015

Yes, It states the Dial has been "refreshed" I don't know if that means it was cleaned, or re-painted.

3. Waynepjr Oct 19, 2015

Means refinished 99% of the time.

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 19, 2015

If you value originality, I would stay away from watches sold out of South Korea.

My belief is that the collecting culture there prefers vintage watches to look "as new". Consequently, almost all watches I see from there have refinished dials. Some of these dials are among the best refinishing work I've ever seen. If the subject watch was done in off-white, you'd have a hard time telling it was redone. It's a very nice job.

The South Koreans are honest about the practice and I find it is almost always mentioned in eBay listings. On the above watch, the price without the shipping was decent, but the $50 for shipping kills the deal.
    gatorcpa

Memphis Stout likes this.
  5. Memphis Stout Oct 19, 2015

Thanks @gatorcpa !

So the price is in the ballpark of the value of the watch?

I will of course honor my commitment to buy the watch, but I wonder if this is is the best decision.

The more thoughts and opinions, the better.

Thank you, everyone.

6. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Oct 19, 2015

It is not the sort of watch a serious collector would buy, but if you want a new looking, shiny omega that will run fine for a while then you have found it. The servicing done on these may well be fairly good as they have an eBay reputation to keep up. However I often wonder why it is their ads always state it has been serviced but there is no movement picture.

Mouse_at_Large and efauser like this.
  7. Memphis Stout Oct 19, 2015

But do you think it started off as a black dial, or was it painted black?

Thanks everyone!

8. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Oct 19, 2015

IMHO, I think you should look to the Rolling Stones for the answer.