Forums Latest Members
  1. omegaseamaster Oct 9, 2015

Hello

I recently recieved this seamaster from my grandmother. It belonged to her husband - can you tell me anything about this? Manual wound movement is working great, been laying in a box for the past 20years.
    What year is it from? Is it gold, or goldplated? Is it rare?

Cheers

2015-10-09 12.01.19.jpg
  2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Oct 9, 2015

Can we get more photos?
    Also, STOP USING IT. If it has been sitting in a box fpr 20yrs, it needs a service before you use it.

3. Pvt-Public Oct 9, 2015

Why? You already identified it. It's an Omega Seamaster. More info can be found with the numbers on the inside of the back, and on the movement.

4. omegaseamaster Oct 9, 2015

Will take this to heart. Wont wind it anymore untill it's been serviced.

Well yes, I see it's a seamaster.
    Reason for asking is because I would like to gage its history further, how old it is.
    I was browsing a local pawn shops finnished auctions for sold vintage seamasters but could not find anyone exactly a like.

I wont open the caseback myself to look at the numbers..
    Adding a photo, although its not very telling, the backside is blank except for an engraving saying "waterproof"
    2015-10-09 12.01.24.jpg 2015-10-09 14.01.34.jpg

5. DON Oct 9, 2015

Gold cap case which has a thicker layer of gold than a gold filled. Jewelers rouge cloth should clean the case up nicely

Maybe late 50's. Dial aged, but even;y giving it a nice look. Movement. Need to open to check

DON

omegaseamaster likes this.
  6. vinn2 Oct 9, 2015

open back with assistance. take photo's excessive maintance can be bad

7. Pvt-Public Oct 9, 2015

The reference number, the movement calibre, and serial number, can help approximate, age and they are located as said above, inside he back of the case and on the movement.

8. ChrisN Oct 9, 2015

From the case back photo, @DON could see it was gold cap as you can see the layer of gold at the lugs that folds around the front and stops at the back. Gold plate is usually all over.
    cap.jpg

Nice find. With a service, cloth polish and a new crystal it should look very good.

Cheers, Chris

9. omegaseamaster Oct 9, 2015

I shall look around see if I can find my ball and perhaps open it, this is a normal screw-open caseback yea?
    Thanks for all the input guys