Forums Latest Members
  1. Rebecca Apr 18, 2013

Hello-

My husband purchased a beautiful vintage Omega cocktail wristwatch for my birthday from an estate sale. I have spent countless hours trying to find any information on its history to no avail. Even Omega has not been able to help me! This is what I do know:

1) A jeweler said the movement numbers (inside of the push-close back) are: 13512764 He also stated it was 17 jewel and appeared to be in very good shape.

2) Inside of the case, on the side, is engraved "8X"

3) On the back engraved: "14K", an engraved picture of a tower (the Eiffel Tower?) with the words "CHATEAU D'OR", under this is engraved "14K 635", both incorporated into the design of the tower. Under the tower and across the bottom are the numbers "03690".

4) There are 5 rubies and 7 diamonds on each side

5) It is rose gold. I'm told weighing 33.3 grams.

6) It is a flip-top wherein you have to open the springed top to see the actual "clock".

7) It has to be wound, it is not automatic.

Any information would be so greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
    Rebecca

DSCN1497 (Medium).JPG DSCN1512 (Medium).JPG DSCN1515 (Medium).JPG DSCN1519 (Medium).JPG

2. chiko7734 Apr 18, 2013

Hi. Welcome to the forum! The serial number on the movement dates the watch to 1952. Unfortunately, you may not be able to find out much more than that. That is quite an interesting and beautiful watch there though!

3. MyVintageOmega Apr 19, 2013

First I've seen of such a fine watch............congrats & welcome to the forum.

4. seamonster Respectable Member Apr 19, 2013

Respectable Member Rebecca

Welcome to this forum and let us enjoy vintage-watches.

You have a lovely and caring husband. He has given you this rare beauty. Love it the way you love your husband and your children (if any). Maintain your vintage beauty well and it will run forever.

Good luck and 'Carry On Enjoying'. Hopefully, your collection will grow, over a period of time.

Thank-you.

5. Rebecca Apr 20, 2013

Hello Chiko and thank you for the first welcoming response and the dating! I had come across several sites that pointed to that Omega movement date. I've spent upwards of 30 hours looking for and researching information on this beautiful piece. "You may not be able to find out much more than that." OH NO! I refuse to give up! It's become such a mystery that the more I cannot find information, the more I want to know! LOL With that said, I do not fail to enjoy this beautiful piece daily. Thanks again and Best regards, Rebecca

6. Rebecca Apr 20, 2013

Hello "My Vintage Omega" and thank you for the compliment! It really is such a fine watch and work of art. Should you ever come across ANY information, please let me know. Best Regards- Rebecca

7. Rebecca Apr 20, 2013

Dear Seamonster,

Thank you for your touching response. Yes, indeed, I DO have a lovely and caring husband! But I must comment that I will always love my husband and children much more than my lovely piece of art, i.e., my vintage Omega. :) Well, OK... it's a close second. LOL I have been offered a fine sum of money for this piece by a handful of jewelers that I have shown it to but, the sentiment in which it was received is priceless to me. I shall own it until the day I parish.

As much as I would like to think about collecting vintage wrist watches, this mystery has me baffled. I'm not sure I want that to continue as a hobby! LOL

Should you ever come across any information on its origin, I sure would appreciate hearing from you again!

Best Regards,
    Rebecca

8. chiko7734 Apr 20, 2013

Hi. Don't give up on watch collecting! It's difficult to find out information on your watch because there really isn't much to find out. In that time, omega made a lot of generic small movements like the one in your watch, and then put them into a variety of decorated cases. That is presumably what yours is. If you have a picture of the movement, you may be able to find out the movement calibre, but otherwise there isn't much info out there.

9. Rebecca Apr 20, 2013

Chiko-
    I had read that many moons ago, one could choose a case and then a movement. I realize there is a lot of "junk" on the internet. However, one site said that, "Until the 1920's cases were made by different companies than the movement...". Another said this type of "art deco" was only first introduced at a show in Paris in 1925.

I also had an antique dealer tell me I was searching the wrong thing... don't search Omega, search the case designer. Of course the first thing that comes up is the mansion in California that is for sale. Another thing that I see often is "Chateau D' Liveior" (sp?) as a jeweler in Montreal.
    Do you know if this is the same company as Chateau D'or? And the picture of the tower... would you believe it is the Eiffel Tower?

I never thought to take a picture of the movement! Thanks! I will take it to the jewelers and do just that. When I can I will post those pictures.

Rebecca

10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 20, 2013

Until the 1970's it was usually cheaper to import the movement to the US separately from the case. Also, most solid gold watches in Swiss cases were 18K, not 14K, which was more popular in the US. The number you see engraved as "635", is actually "0.535", as in 14 out of 24 parts pure gold.

My feeling is that some US or Canadian jeweler purchased a raw Omega movement from Norman Morris, Inc. (the US importer at the time) and had this 14K gold case made specifically for this watch. If I'm right, you could look on the internet for 3,000 hours and not find another one.

Since most independent watch case manufacturers have now gone the way of the dodo bird, I don't think that searching for the case manufacturer will get you too far. One thing I can suggest is to try to match the picture of the Eiffel Tower here:

http://www.trademarkia.com/

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

11. seamonster Respectable Member Apr 20, 2013

Respectable Member Rebecca

It is good to learn, you will love all of them.

Some of the ladies watches, including yours, are so dainty and alluring, especially those carrying the brand-name Gubelin.

Since the price of ladies watches is still within reason, just give a serious think about collecting them. You will enjoy.

Meanwhile, good luck in your search for more information about your beauty from Omega.

Thank-you.

12. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 27, 2013

DLT222 likes this.
  13. MyVintageOmega Apr 28, 2013

Now that was a needle in a haystack...... good find.

14. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 29, 2013

Yes as it is the same watch

15. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 29, 2013

I guess she didn't like that much if it is with a pawn shop now. ;)
    gatorcpa

16. ulackfocus Apr 29, 2013

Really. If I had a dollar for every new member asking about a watch and saying things like "It was my grandfather's and I'll treasure it" or.....

...... only to find it listed for sale on eBay shortly after I probably wouldn't have a mortgage payment anymore. :cautious:

Why can't people just be honest and say "I'm looking for information because I want to sell this watch."? Society seems to be programmed to believe they have to lie to get what they want.

cicindela, gatorcpa and hoipolloi like this.
  17. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 29, 2013

:mad:

18. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 29, 2013

Great call - I remember your message to me o great one! ;)

19. ulackfocus Apr 29, 2013

To finish the thought, I don't mind what anyone's intentions are - sell or restore as an heirloom - as long as they're honest. I'll still give them the information if I know it. It just makes me (and a few others here that I won't name) feel pissed when somebody plays games.

20. pitpro Likes the game. Apr 29, 2013

or doesn't appreciate the free help they received by saying thank you.