Forums Latest Members

Can You Help Me Understand An Estimate Value Of This Omega Ladymatic?

1. Josephine Oct 11, 2012

Watch 003.JPG Watch 016.JPG Watch 016.JPG Hallo all :)

I wonder if you can help.

I just inherited this Omega Ladymatic from my aunt, she has had it for many decades.

Would you be able to advise the average value of this watch? It works perfectly, I just need to find a place in London where I can have it serviced.

Thank you! :)

Josephine

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 11, 2012

Pictures of the back and inside would help

3. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Oct 12, 2012

As I remarked in this post it looks like a 551.015 that was powered by a cal 661. If the case is stainless steel it probably has a value in the vicinity of 250.00. The dial appears to have been refinished at some stage.

Cheers

Desmond

4. Josephine Oct 12, 2012

Thank you both! :)

I found a 551.015 here http://www.kaplans.se/kaplans/AuctionArt.aspx?vId=861892&plT=41398364&AuktID=2366 it's similar but not the same. I think my one is definitely steel, not sure if it was refinished in the past but I am told the lug was changed.

I have the feeling that it will cost me more to have it fully serviced than the value of the watch in itself. However, my dear aunt wore it most of her life so I will have it serviced and wear it myself with great pride.

Any idea of how much an honest price for a full service would be? I was told it's best not to let them send off but find someone who does it locally.

I have managed to have some pics of its back and side, but can't open it I'm afraid, I'm sure I will break it! :)

It's helping already, thank you!

Josephine

Back.JPG Back Lug.JPG Front Lug.JPG
  5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 12, 2012

$300 or so to service roughly IMO

6. Josephine Oct 12, 2012

IMO....:unsure:::confused2::

The Swatch Group (UK) Ltd
    Charter Court
    Third Avenue
    Southampton
    SO15 0JA
    Just replied saying service starts from £260....

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 12, 2012

I'd skip Swatch and go straight for an independent watchmaker with that, plenty around in the UK

8. Josephine Oct 12, 2012

Yeah, even I understood that....it sounds preposterous....::censored::

What's IMO?

Would an independent watchmaker give some sort of warranty on the work done you think?

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 12, 2012

1 Year warranty is customary for all watchmakers.

IMO = in my opinion

10. Josephine Oct 12, 2012

Thank you Aussie Ash! ::rimshot::

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 12, 2012

No worries pommie Josephine!

12. Josephine Oct 12, 2012

:p I'm actually Italian! ::rimshot::

13. Mary255 Oct 12, 2012

Unless you want to keep it, how about trying it out on eBay to let the market decide?

14. Josephine Oct 12, 2012

I have childood memories of my aunt wearing this watch,and now I'm the lucky one who inherited it, so it has an enormous sentimental value for me.

Oh well, I'll have to shop around in London for the best watchmaker service fee.

Ciao :)

15. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 12, 2012

Josephine, it depends where you are but there is a local jeweller in NW7 who has a watch guy who services Omegas from around £150.

If you are going top bracket, STS in Southend charge £375 for vintage servicing. They are the official Omega service centre.

16. Josephine Oct 12, 2012

17. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 13, 2012

It's Rockman on Mill Hill Broadway; http://www.rockmanjewellery.co.uk/

Best to phone & speak to Gary Rockman to check I have remembered correctly !

Gary gives the watches to a watch guy that comes in every week or two on his rounds, so you should check when he is next in & that he is confident dealing with this model. Gary is straightforward to deal with. The watch guy does vintage & modern Omega's but I haven't personally used him.

18. MyVintageOmega Oct 13, 2012

I had seen an 18k gold one in excellent shape sell for 650 pounds. In the condition of yours with other factors such as shape and potential redial......I would guess (and I stress the word guess) a value of 200 to 300 dollars. As mentioned above the sentimental value is far greater.....but if you choose to sell, take the blind shot at ebay......cheers.

19. Josephine Oct 13, 2012

Thanks Spiki, I will enquire with Rockman soon, thanks for the tip.

Yes, My Vintage Omega, I seem to understand the average value now. Thank you, it's for keeps anyway.

20. Josephine Oct 13, 2012

I just called a jellewer enquirying about the service, I was told to bring it in, they will give me a receipt stating the model etc, send it off and then let me have a quote for the service

They could not give any idea whatsoever of the price, so my question is how do I know what I am quoted is realistic and how do I know I will get back exactly what I handed in?

::confused2::