Forums Latest Members
  1. NeuroNYC Apr 16, 2013

Hello everyone,

newbie watch enthusiast, first time poster. I received this Omega watch as a gift, and I'd like to know more about it. I'd hesitate to even call it a watch, its more of a of a clock. Here's the description, but you know a picture is worth a thousand words so I've included some pictures at the end.

The dial on the top of the piece lifts up and rotates to the right or left to set the time. Rotating the dial clockwise while it is pressed in will wind the watch. It needs to be wound every few days but keeps good time. OMEGA is printed on the face, with the greek omega letter above it. There is a separate face at the bottom ticking every second.
    The back of the clock is open, and you can see the rotation back and forth as the clock ticks.
    In one area, inscribed it reads
    OMEGA
    WATCH CO SWISS
    next to that, it says
    15 FIFTEEN
    JEWELS
    and next to that it says
    ADJ. 2TWO
    POSITIONS

In a separate area you can see F S above a sort of curved ruler, and beneath the 'ruler' are two more letters with a space in between, A R
    In one corner a serial number of some sort appears: 6941665

I have no idea where I could take this thing to get an accurate identification or appraisal so I figured the web was a good place to start. Apologies if I broke some rule or this post is in the wrong place

Pictures below. Thanks for your help!
    -Alex

Theres a quarter in the picture as well so you can appreciate how large this is.
    front
    IMG_1456.jpg
    Side
    IMG_1458.jpg
    Back
    IMG_1460.jpg
    And the rear open back...
    IMG_1462.jpg

2. ulackfocus Apr 16, 2013

Hi Alex. Too bad it has the crown and fob connector on it. You could have otherwise used it as a cue ball. :eek:

Okay, seriously....

The serial number dates it to 1928-ish. The F and S are for "fast" and "slow" while the A and R are for "advance" and "retard" which is how you speed up or slow down the watch to make it keep proper time. The ruler you speak of is just a scale to help a watchmaker move the regulator arm left or right in relation to where it was originally to help adjust the timekeeping. That's a caliber 40.6L T1 15p which was the better of the 40.6L movements since it was adjusted to the specifications of the era.

3. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Apr 16, 2013

very funky!

4. Wheels Apr 16, 2013

Reckon servicing might be an issue? :)

5. ulackfocus Apr 16, 2013

Bet it splits open at the brass center. ;)

6. Wheels Apr 16, 2013

Aaa ah, hadn't thought of that.

7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 16, 2013

There were a flood of these a couple of years ago, most (99.95%) were fakes with Chinese movements.
    This looks to be a very nice genuine item, I wouldn't mind receiving a gift like that at all :thumbsup:

8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 19, 2013

Genuine Omega with a novelty case.
    gatorcpa