Forums Latest Members

Can you help me identify my watch

1. manticora Feb 25, 2018

Hello,
    I am new to the world of watches, not even an amateur, complete beginner. I have my fathers watch that I would like to restore.
    It is Universal Geneve from 1960's, markings on the back are 28201/2 and 2372979. It has a 29.5mm dial, 33mm case with 17mm lug. I found a similar watch on the net that is described as cal 820, but I dont know if that applies for mine.
    I found NOS original leather strap and hope to get a buckle real soon, but I need a replacement dial. I don't know if mine suffered water damage or is it just patina, but I like to restore it anyway.

All advice and thoughts are most welcome. Thanks!

003.jpg 002.jpg
  2. bags1971 Feb 26, 2018

Hi

If I find any bits I will let you know it looks like the Buckle is lost in the post as well

3. Flatfoot Feb 27, 2018

First, welcome to the group. To have a watch given to you from your dad is a wonderful thing. Such a gift from my dad sparked the interest in mechanical watches for me many years ago. I hope it may do the same for you, too. And I, too, also found OF rather recently.

The watch appears to have gotten rather wet at some point as evidenced by the damage seen on the dial. Is the movement working reliably?

4. manticora Mar 4, 2018

Hello,
    Yes, it keeps good time, which is amazing since i don't know if it was ever servised. Fully wound, it works just a little shy of 48 hours.

Edited Mar 4, 2018