Forums Latest Members
  1. John R Smith Sep 30, 2013

Just wondered if the experts here can help me identify this 1940s Omega. There is no case reference in the back, just what appears to be a serial number. All these are the seller's pictures, not mine.

Front.jpg

The watch is 18k yellow gold, with a press-in back, and lugs like this -

Lugs.jpg

The caseback inner has the usual Swiss markings for 18k and a long number. No case reference number.

Caseback inner.jpg

The movement has exposed bumper springs and looks like a 28.10 (RA SC?) to me, s/n is 10705xxx.

The case looks very like the one in this (later) 1951 advert.

Omega Chrono Ad.jpg

Any ideas?

Movement-2.jpg
  2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 30, 2013

3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 30, 2013

I think this is as close as we can get:

Ref. 2445 -

http://www.omegawatches.com/spirit/history/vintage-omegas/vintage-watches-database?ref=14832

Don't think all of these were chronometer certified, although there may have been some examples adjusted to chronometer standards. Prior to 1951, Omega sometimes provided their own timing certificates.

Based on the movement and case numbers, this example was made early in the production run. Maybe about 1946?

Nice looking Omega.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

4. John R Smith Sep 30, 2013

As usual, you chaps are brilliant. I wonder why the case reference is sometimes missing? It should be just underneath the long serial number.

I've always wanted an exposed spring bumper, but I expect parts for that will be difficult now.

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 30, 2013

Omega didn't start putting case reference number in the watches until the late 1940's. Even then, it was a running change and not every model had them. For example, 1948 Centenary's exist with and without the "2500" reference inside.

If the watch is in reasonably good condition, which it looks to be, minor parts (mainsprings, etc.) shouldn't be a problem with these. Rotors and bearings might be more difficult, but there are a lot of parts movements out there.
    gatorcpa

6. John R Smith Sep 30, 2013

Ah, that's interesting. I didn't know that - another useful fact learned this afternoon! Thanks for that, Gator.

1946 is a special year for me . . . ;)

7. John R Smith Oct 1, 2013

Ah well, if this goes wrong I only have myself to blame ::facepalm2:: I went and bought it . . .

I put in a pretty cheeky offer and it was accepted. The watch will be on its way to me tomorrow, all the way from Austria - but at least Austria is in the EU, so there will be no customs dues to pay. Communication with the seller has been very good, despite the language barrier - thankfully he speaks better English than I speak German! And there is a 30 day return policy, which I hope I don't have to invoke.

Many thanks to Steve and Gator for helping out on this one :thumbsup:

8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 1, 2013

Congratulations on what looks to be a fine purchase.

If you ask Dennis, he'll tell you that I love to spend other people's money. :D
    gatorcpa

Tritium and John R Smith like this.
  9. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Oct 1, 2013

Congrats John.

Everything looks nice and correct on that watch.

I do collect these early bumpers 28.10

Here are mine, They are just a bit older than yours.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Oct 1, 2013

How much cheeky offer are you talking about?

11. ulackfocus Oct 1, 2013

That's the odds on favorite for "Understatement of the Year" 2013. :p

InvestiGator makes some great justifications too: "Oh, nobody ever went bankrupt over $xxx" and
    "It's too sweet of a deal at $xxx to pass up!".

John R Smith likes this.
  12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 2, 2013

The correct quotation is:

"Fifty bucks never hurt anyone."
    -Rudy Russo, Used Cars (1980)

Note the name of the movie. Not a whole lot of difference there, is there? ;)

gatorcpa

John R Smith likes this.
  13. John R Smith Oct 2, 2013

The watch has been despatched to me by Austrian Post Paket Prime (?), but I do have a tracking number. Now the waiting begins . . .

It was actually a bit more than fifty bucks, so it could hurt :unsure: