Forums Latest Members

Can This Machine Be Used In Australia?

1. seamonster Respectable Member Sep 15, 2012

Respectable Members

I intend buying a second-hand sewing-machine for my better-half. As we already know, virtually everything from UK and the US is much cheaper than over here.

I inquired to find out whether this machine can be used in Australia.

This is the reply, I received from the seller.

Hello again
    I am not expert on electricity but there is a label on the machine which says:

240V. 25W Lamp.

80W Motor.

The foot pedal says 550A 0.5max, V 220-240.

I hope this is helpful.

Thanks

Please advise whether this particular machine can be used, here.

Thank-you.

2. alam Sep 15, 2012

if the machine is coming from the UK, then is assumed it's designed for 50HZ, if that's the case then it will run in Australia's 240V/50HZ current - if the machine is coming from the US, then it will run slower as our appliances are designed for 60HZ and you run the risk to burn the motor. You will need the proper adapter to match your outlet.

http://www.kropla.com/electric2.htm

3. seamonster Respectable Member Sep 15, 2012

Respectable Member alam

Thanks for the information and the link. Unfortunately, I find it difficult to understand what is written there. Just as well, you have given me the answer to my inquiry and it is much appreciated.

The next move is trying to find the freight charges for the item to be sent via air-mail. Apparently, it is a heavy machine with an approximate weight of 14kg.

I have emailed the seller, to find out how expensive this is going to be.

Thank-you.

4. Trev The Architect Staff Member Sep 15, 2012

UK machines will be fine, but do keep in mind it'll have one of those freaky UK plugs with a fuse in it ;)

It's easy enough to chop off the weird plug and buy a new heavy duty one from Bunnings, they just screw on. However, if you don't have any electrical knowledge and haven't done it before, find someone more familiar with this stuff :)

5. Trev The Architect Staff Member Sep 15, 2012

"Let out the magic smoke" is the technically correct term. Once it's out, you can never put it back in :D

6. alam Sep 15, 2012

Yep! been there, done that - I lived in Germany for many years and learned the hard way about US-made appliances running a biiiit "slower" on a transformer.... :eek: hey, what's that smell? ::facepalm2::

7. Trev The Architect Staff Member Sep 15, 2012

When we were living on our boat, we had a massive step-down transformer hooked in to the main inverter. There was both 120 and 240v outlets, which made it easier selecting appliances. Often the US appliances and power tools were cheaper :)

8. seamonster Respectable Member Sep 16, 2012

Respectable Member Trev and all other respectable members

Thanks for responding to my inquiry and it is much appreciated. I shall avoid anything electrical from the US but this one is very difficult to give it a miss.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320975707062?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

It is just so beautiful. Whether my better-half likes it or not is a concern though. However, the bigger worry is, it cannot be used in Australia.

Thank-you.

9. Trev The Architect Staff Member Sep 16, 2012

Wow, that design looks much nicer than the new models around.

Screen Shot 2012-09-16 at 20.48.24.png
    Unfortunately this model will definitely not work in Australia without an expensive step-down transformer.

Know anyone with a spare 240->120 transformer kicking around? :)

10. Trev The Architect Staff Member Sep 16, 2012

11. seamonster Respectable Member Sep 18, 2012

Respectable Member Trev

This item is interesting.

While using it, what will happen to the equipment used, if the transformer were to collapse all of a sudden. Will the equipment be damaged?

Can we use an electrical item from Germany that says 230V?

Thank-you.

12. Trev The Architect Staff Member Sep 18, 2012

There's very few parts in them, no complicated circuits. I'd guess they're pretty reliable. :)

Something from Germany should run fine, but still might have the wrong plug on it.
    [​IMG]

13. smithrjd Sep 18, 2012

The issue is not the voltage, if it says 200-240V then you are good to go. It is the frequency/Hertz that will be the problem
    A TRANSFORMER will not correct frequency issues. That being said if it is rated for 220V the in almost all cases it is good for 50HZ. Ask the seller about the frequency. If the machine is from most places other than the US it will work on 50HZ. A transformer corrects voltage not frequency. A motor is what will be affected by frequency.

14. seamonster Respectable Member Sep 19, 2012

Respectable Member Trev

From Germany it is OK and it is good to know this. Unfortunately, most of the better and collectible electrical items are found in the US.

Thank-you.

15. seamonster Respectable Member Sep 19, 2012

Respectable Member smithrjd

Really, we learn something new everyday. I appreciate.

Thank-you.

16. smithrjd Sep 19, 2012

I did some research on sewing machine motors, and it appears that one can use a step down transformer to allow a US 120V 60HZ machine to operate at 220V/50HZ. Just be sure that the amperage of the transformer is more than what the sewing machine will require. The cord plug end would most likely need to be changed, but many transformer have the correct sockets for US then a cord to the country of need. Looks you could get a US machine and have it running in AUS. My wife has an Elna, and loves it.

17. alam Sep 19, 2012

Note that the transformer output will be 110V @ 50HZ - the last time I tried this with a dehumidifier designed for use in the US (60HZ), it killed the motor after a few weeks of usage. Of course the humidifier was running for longer periods; perhaps the motor on the Singer machine may tolerate a slower speed and survive...

18. smithrjd Sep 19, 2012

A humidifier is a constant speed motor for the most part, may have a high, low, mid etc but runs at a constant speed. A sewing machine is a variable speed motor. Run by the user at the speed of the stitch. I would feel the motor and see if it is getting hot. Also unplug the transformer when not in use, it will pull current in the primary at all times. Runs the meter LOL.

19. seamonster Respectable Member Sep 19, 2012

Respectable Member smithrjd

Thanks for the advice and I shall take note.

Both Elna and Bernina are good, since they are Swiss precision sewing machines. Needless to say, surely your wife is happy with her Elna.

As for my wife, she is a little unfortunate because I would like to get her something that is vintage. How she will react to this, I do not know. Usually those vintage ones are found in the US.

It would be easy to get her a machine that is semi-contemporary but I cannot see any beauty in such an item. The older machines, just like vintage-watches, have been built to last for many generations to come, provided they are well-maintained and regularly serviced.

I do not think the new Elna and Bernina are still being produced in Switzerland. I stand to be corrected, though.

It is a matter of choosing between a classic and a plastic.

Thank-you.

20. smithrjd Sep 19, 2012

Dianne's Elna is a anniversery model, from the late 80's. She is an odd one for US women, she knows how to sew. The older models will not be as user friendly and will not have all of the options, but are really nice. I have my mothers old Singer, in a cabinet from right after WWII just sitting right now. Wish it could go to someone who would apperciate it. Unfortunatley shipping to AUS would be rather expensive or I would give it to you.