Forums Latest Members
  1. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jun 14, 2017

Greetings everyone,
    This watch was in a lot of watches sold as "parts and repair" and I initially wanted just parts. Then after seeing it in real life I want to try and repair it.

Is there any hope?
    Would love to hear what knowledgeable members think. I do not have the missing lug. I think it's going to take a trip to Saint-Imier...

IMG_3065.JPG IMG_3077.JPG IMG_3078.JPG IMG_3079.JPG IMG_3080.JPG IMG_3049.JPG
    wkimmd, Giff2577, George.A and 5 others like this.
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 14, 2017

You just need the right sort of strap/bracelet/brooch.

NFW.jpg

Joking aside, that is a beautiful dial. May be worth the time and effort to restore.

watch3s, Northernman, ChrisN and 6 others like this.
  3. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jun 14, 2017

Thanks @JimInOz, agreed and that's the reason for this query.
    However the watch will obviously lose value with a recase and I'm wondering what the cost /feasibility would be of a lug reproduction. This could however entail its own issues/ value loss and not be cost efficient.
    All the best,
    S

4. Fost Jun 14, 2017

Did you try to find a new case? Maybe the best option ?

Syrte likes this.
  5. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jun 14, 2017

I have two possible sources for a new Longines period correct case. But I hate to recase it.
    Interested in finding out what others think.
    Best regards,
    S

6. w154 Jun 14, 2017

As others have already said, that really is a beautiful dial, but getting the lugs done won't be cheap.

I remember looking myself as I have a gold cased IWC with a missing lug, but couldn't decide whether it was cost effective or not.
    I do recall that this place had some recommendations though, and was perhaps not as expensive as other (more famous) repairers.

http://jewellers-watford.co.uk/stainless-steel-repairs/2054755

7. Fost Jun 14, 2017

I agree but personally as soon as the case is not a 'special case' (e.g step, spillmann, coin edge, etc...) but more a rather casual case, it would not bother me at all. The beauty is in the dial for this one...

wkimmd, Foo2rama and watchknut like this.
  8. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Jun 14, 2017

This person offers casework.

9. Vitezi Jun 14, 2017

Do you have the broken-off lugs? Or are they missing?

AveConscientia likes this.
  10. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jun 14, 2017

Recase and call it a day. Killer dial...

watch3s, Syrte and Kathmandu! like this.
  11. bubba48 Jun 14, 2017

Leave it!

Syrte likes this.
  12. Rman Jun 14, 2017

It can be done but it will cost you more than you think.
    You have a lot of cleanup, fabrication and laser welding there and you need someone who really knows what they're doing or you'll not get the result you desire.

SpeedTar and Syrte like this.
  13. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jun 14, 2017

Thanks everyone !
    I'm getting several esteemed opinions to the effect this very nice dial is refinished, and that I may have looked at it a bit too fast and enthusiastically last night.
    Because it looks so nice and its cost was so moderate I have decided to try and find a case for it.
    It won't be all original, but I'm hoping it'll be a nice wearer.
    No expensive lug work for this one.

Appreciate the referrals and opinions though.
    All the best,
    S

Fost and Deafboy like this.
  14. tapaptpat Jun 16, 2017

Good luck with your venture , however you choose. I could see at as a great nurse/broach watch with a little work. But also the adventure of rescuing the watch with or without doner case. Will also be a great personal journey.

My vote is wristwatch, so I could wear it.

P

Syrte likes this.
  15. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jun 16, 2017

Thanks so much P. :)
    I'm not really acquainted with nurses watches-- can they be 35mm??-- but I personally could not do much with a watch that only has lugs on one side.

Given the modest price I paid for the watch, I ended up taking a chance on an NOS Longines case whose measurements seem to fit. There is one unknown that's hard to measure, the exact height of the stem hole, but we'll see.
    Here's the seller's pic of the donor case.
    The lugs are different but the bezel with embedded crown looks a bit similar.
    Can't wait to get the shipment.

20170615_074543.jpg
    noelekal and tapaptpat like this.
  16. tapaptpat Jun 16, 2017

@Syrte,

The nurses watch is a fob/broach type they tend to be small 30mm or less. They are worn with the 6 lug a short strap attached to a pin. As you are missing lugs at 12, these seemed the shortest route.

You've seem to have found a case. Looking forward to the outcome.

P

17. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jun 16, 2017

Thanks for explaining! :thumbsup:
    As for the case, I'm keeping fingers crossed. There is a possibility it will not fit.

Edited Jun 16, 2017
  18. w154 Jul 16, 2017

Thought I'd take a couple of pictures of my IWC and ask for advice. It's such a beautiful watch with such nice lugs that it may be worth it, but does anyone here have experience of getting similar work actually done. Is it possible to get a seamless match when the lugs are so characteristically shaped ?

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  19. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jul 16, 2017

Beautiful. I would think this epitomizes the case where it's worth it, if doable.

I will let others say if doable, but I would think that if you find the right person it must be. Not cheap though.

Actually I have an idea, there's a couple of young watchmakers in London who are also master jewelers and antique watch restorers, they won awards etc- her name is Rebecca Struthers and I follow her on Instagram. They also repurpose old movement and recase them in platinum and precious metal cases they make themselves. You should contact them, see how much they would charge. For them this should be a piece of cake.

Edited Jul 16, 2017
    wkimmd and w154 like this.
  20. w154 Jul 16, 2017

Thanks S. Just sent them an email.