Forums Latest Members

Can someone please tell me about this watch? I’m not sure what model Seamaster this is

1. surfperch Jul 17, 2022

Please help ID. Thank you!

My grandfather recently passed and this was left to me. It only runs occasionally. I’ve been wearing it the last few days and really love it. I would like to get it professionally restored/fixed. Any advice on what route to take would be very much appreciated. I know almost nothing about watches. Thanks for the help in advance.

Tom

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Dr No and DaveK like this.
  2. perks713 Jul 17, 2022

Hi Tom, sorry for your loss. The photos are a bit out of focus so it’s hard to see the dial. Most of the information you’re looking for is on the inside of the caseback. It’s best to find someone that knows about vintage watches to open it for you.

Someone on the forum will probably have a good idea of what ref it is but the best way to know for sure is to have someone open it.

These are some of the things to consider when you’re deciding what route to go for service:
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/things-to-consider-before-having-a-watch-serviced.134016/

3. Dan S Jul 17, 2022

This appears to be a one-piece case, so the OP definitely should not attempt to open it. Even with the blurry photos, I can see enough to suggest that it would be worth repairing as an heirloom. Looks like a nice legit original Seamaster at first glance.

Mark020, iamvr and Waltesefalcon like this.
  4. Walrus Jul 17, 2022

Sorry for your loss. Many times those heirlooms mean a lot to people. The ones my family left are not major brands but they mean a lot to me. If you have jewelers that do real watch repair it’s usually not a lot of money (relatively speaking of course) to get the watch serviced unless it needs parts. Often if they are omega certified you will see the training course certificates or whatever you call them hung up in the shop. I’m just a noob so refer to the link provided prior and advice from those more knowledgeable but imo if the watch has meaning to you it’s definitely good to pursue getting it going.

5. Davidt Jul 17, 2022

Looks like a uni shell ‘pre-DeVille’, perhaps a ref 14770

6. surfperch Jul 17, 2022

More photos

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  7. surfperch Jul 17, 2022

Thank you all for the help. The link above will be a lot of help. I will definitely be pursuing repair. I’d like to find out what model it is and check
    out the options for period-correct bands. My wrist is smaller than my grandfathers so will need a new band regardless.

Thank you again for the help

8. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jul 17, 2022

This is my 1961 Ref 14765-2, these dials look great in black leather, grey leather, blue croc, or a period correct “beads of rice” bracelet. The dial plays with sunlight nicely. Don’t wear it much, if at all, until you get it serviced.

AE25F94D-FD23-4B6E-B8AD-6DE291A2E3D4.jpeg F8CEED8B-4411-416D-AF95-E2AF467E5EDA.jpeg 4E4CA578-53A0-4EBD-BB11-D4307E38290A.jpeg

9. surfperch Jul 18, 2022

Ok. I’ll stop wearing it, haha. I love how it looks, even though only runs periodically.
    I’m going to keep this for special occasions, once I get it fixed. I love it’s understated design, just like my grandfather, he was a “no-frills” blue-collar, retired carpenter. I’m really glad I have this to remember him by.

Thank you all for your help and input

DaveK and Dr No like this.