Forums Latest Members
  1. anon12345 Jul 11, 2018

I’m looking to purchase a vintage 1960s Omega for someone and this is a completely foreign world to me! I’m hoping someone can provide some words of wisdom and what to look for/what to avoid (and maybe some “good” ones to purchase?). I’ve done some reading and have found some general tips but not really sure how these translate - restored versus original and how can you tell what’s original and authentic to the model? Can someone please help me out? Any type of advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jul 11, 2018

3. kopykat Jul 11, 2018

It's very hard to spot bad things about a vintage watch as a beginner. Buying one on the forum from a reputable seller might be a good idea.

jumpingsecond likes this.
  4. jimmyd13 Jul 11, 2018

Hi @anon12345 ... your question is like asking a vintage automotive forum "which car should I buy?" .

I realise that buying a watch as a gift can be difficult if you want it to be truly meaningful but we really need something more from you. There are lots of threads on here showing recent purchases or what's being worn today - both of those threads are very picture heavy. Go spend some time looking and identify the style of watch you're looking for. Once you have that, come back and give some more information.

Good luck

Spacefruit and Foo2rama like this.
  5. ulackfocus Jul 11, 2018

I love these broad, general questions. :rolleyes:

What exactly should we do - buy a watch for the OP? ::facepalm2::

jaguar11 likes this.
  6. Neek U-neek. Get it? Jul 11, 2018

My advice...

Pick a single reference that will be the one you want to target. It's much easier to get a grasp on what one specific reference is supposed to have and not supposed to have. Then it's simply a matter of finding an example that is authentic, has your required originality and is in the condition that you want. For me, I went straight for the 145.022-71, as my birth year is 1971. Once I narrowed that down I educated myself on everything I could about the -71 and it took me around 1.5 years to find the one I was comfortable with. It was all about the hunt anyway.

7. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jul 11, 2018

You'd prolly buy him one without a seconds hand, you cheap bastrd...

kingsrider, gostang9 and ulackfocus like this.
  8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 11, 2018

What exactly are you looking for? Budget? We can steer you in the right direction and then vet anything you find.

9. kaisiang098 Jul 11, 2018

Do plenty of research before making your first purchase, learn to recognise fonts, case references and of course the calibers. This forum has plenty of information and great examples of pieces that you can take a look at.
    Look around for something you like, and if you're unsure of its authenticity after researching, then perhaps post the photos and ask nicely and im sure you'll receive the help you need.

10. henrikaa Jul 12, 2018

I understand where OP is coming from. To the uninitiated, it is a strange and complex world, going into vintage watches. Talking about references, calibers - if you are not ITK, you’re already lost.

Does anyone remember if a reference/timeline overview exists; mapping out the various references? I recall having stumbled upon one once, but OFC can’t find the link now...

11. Fialetti Jul 12, 2018

Perhaps you could start by deciding what type of watch you want to gift? A hand-winder or an automatic? A formal dress watch in gold? A simple three-hand model in stainless steel? Or something more sporty like a dive watch or a chrono? That would give you a step closer towards the specific lines or references to look for.

Bear in mind the cost of servicing, which for a cheap watch is likely to be more than the watch itself, and rises with the complexity of the mechanism.

12. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jul 12, 2018

Welcome. Ignore the snark from some member(s), it’s just banter and they need to do it or they emulsify.

Read every post on the Private Sales section.

If the first watch you buy is a good one you will be luckier than many on this forum. Everyone starts somewhere.

If all you want is a 1960’s omega, and only one and then you go off to a normal life, then a redial or polished case might not really matter, and may indeed satisfy your need more than a watch that pleases us, the anoraks.

These “restored” watches can be inexpensive, pretty and rewarding watches in their own right to many people.

However if you delve deeper, you may join us searching for original, rare watches.

murph, MCC, amiriqbal and 8 others like this.
  13. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jul 12, 2018

Or just something shiny...

murph, jaguar11 and ulackfocus like this.
  14. anon12345 Jul 12, 2018

Thanks so much everyone for all the advice, appreciate it! I’ve been doing tons of reading and indeed it is a complex world. Definitely have a new found appreciation for vintage watches! I guess I am looking for something specific - silver, round, white dial, automatic and preferably a black leather strap. I’ve been looking at Seamaster/Seamaster De Villes (early to mid 60s, no preference on exact year). Budget is about $1,500. Although I don’t completely understand the difference between the two and which is better? Since this is for an enthusiast, I’d prefer it to be as authentic as possible. This now may become a hobby as mine as well...
    Cheers!

gdupree likes this.
  15. Sherbie Jul 12, 2018

No affilation, but there is a nice looking watch for half your budget in our private watch sales

Ad is called seamaster cosmic 2000 with box

Does this suit?

16. anon12345 Jul 12, 2018

Thanks will check it out!

17. anon12345 Jul 12, 2018

On second thought, I’m looking for a De Ville specifically. Are Seamaster De Villes “better” since they were produced for a short period of time only?

18. shishy www.hpmor.com Jul 12, 2018

Well, part of the fun in this is you get to decide for yourself what "better" is, and along what dimension you want to measure that. Is it your personal enjoyment? As an investment piece? (slightly unrelated, but never forget: rare does not necessarily mean valuable)

If you decide that rarity is another one of your check marks (on top of "silver, round, white dial, automatic, black leather strap") then maybe it is "better" :).

Sometimes it's also a matter of the history of that specific watch that might speak to you, or even how the name looks on the dial (affects balance, etc.).

So I wonder what "better" means to you in this context.

19. seekingseaquest Jul 12, 2018

Which is basically what the Private Sales section is. You just have to select your own and the watches are just enjoyed for a little while first..

Agreed on the private sales section unless you want to do a lot of research per the reco from @X350 XJR above.

Spacefruit likes this.
  20. gdupree Jul 12, 2018

Alright. So you need a watch with these characteristics:

- Silver (stainless steel)
    - Round
    - White dial
    - Automatic
    - Early to mid 60s
    - Under $1,500.

This we can help with. Is there a reason that you want a Deville specifically? Aesthetically, the Deville will look similar to many other Seamasters out there. But, Deville's are typically "Front loaders" (meaning you have to remove the watch's internals by removing the crystal on the front, instead of simply taking off the case back. The short of it: they're harder to open to get to the insides). So, unless you have a specific reason for a Deville, I suggest that you include standard Seamasters also, but only the ones that fall into the above criteria. Your budget should be more than enough. In fact, you may not need to spend but half of that. There don't seem to be a ton of examples for sale on the forum at the moment, but below is an example I found in our sales forum that could fit the bill. If you expand your search to Ebay, you will find endless hordes of them - but most (like, 90%+) have all been heavily polished and most have had their dials repainted. To us, this is our cue to run away, but as @Spacefruit kindly mentioned, this may be fine with you - and that's OK. But if the recipient of this gift has a collectors mind, or values originality as we do, then you may want to stay away from these.

We are good at helping out when there is something specific needed. But we are far worse when the inquiries are broad and lack definition. That being said, if you come to us with an example you found from ebay, we can quickly and easily vet the watch for you, and are almost always happy to do so. So feel free to do that... Just make sure you post the actual pictures here for us, not just the link to the auction. We're sticklers about that, I guess the extra click makes us feel unappreciated ;-)... Happy hunting.

1969 OMEGA Seamaster Automatic Ref. 166.010 - SERVICED
    [​IMG]