Forums Latest Members

Can someone help me determine if this ebay watch is fake?

1. atait12 Oct 14, 2016

Hi, I've lurking for a while and you guys/girls have been a huge resource to me. I saw a vintage omega while looking for a dress watch and quick google search brought me here and I've been soaking in everything you guys say for months. So I usually do a ebay search every few days and 'watch' the watches I'm interested. I am on a budget of $300 for this so any bids that go over that I unwatch and move on. Most watches in this price range are obvious fakes, or frankens so the sticky with all the fakes is a great tool. I have come across this one watch that looks great, fits all the qualifications listed on omega's database, except the serial number is throwing me off. It's listed as 475XXXXX. Googleing the serial number charts hasn't helped because some have 47000000 listed as 84 85, and some don't include 47000000 at all, they go for 46 one year and 48 the next. The charts that skip 47, almost always note that they skip 52 in the mid-90s, but no mention to the skipped 47. I hope this makes sense. Ill include the ebay post below.

So is this watch legit? If not, can someone explain why? It looks and is priced too good to be true and the serial number is troubling me. http://www.ebay.com/itm/252568281639Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

omega serial number.jpg
  2. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Oct 14, 2016

The issue is the condition of the dial, case, hands, movement, etc.

Sure, $300 for an Omega sounds good, but even for $1, this one has way too many issues to deal with.

atait12 likes this.
  3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 14, 2016

+1

Its in really, really bad shape. Be patient and wait for a decent watch.

atait12 likes this.
  4. Edward53 Oct 14, 2016

I can't add any further comments on this particular watch, but boy oh boy will you have to get lucky to find a decent Omega for $300. Yes it can happen but on ebay those watches are picked off very quickly if they're any good. Perhaps a less ambitious brand is more realistic?

5. atait12 Oct 14, 2016

Can you explain what is wrong with it just based off the photos? I guess I've been so obsessed with spotting fakes, that I haven't really learned about quality.

6. atait12 Oct 14, 2016

Can you please explain what the 'bad shape' is? Ive mostly been focusing on spotting fakes so I overlooked on what I should be looking for in real pieces.

7. atait12 Oct 14, 2016

It's a pipe dream but for a purpose. I could spend more but than I'll just buy one and be done with it. By sticking to only $300, I have to really look and be patient. This is a 'side project' for me between school work and I am getting way more familiar with these pieces, mostly from what is posted here.

8. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Oct 14, 2016

Hands are flaking
    Movement is filthy
    Dial has spotting
    Case has been damaged by bracelet at lugs and over polished. Also corrosion.

9. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Oct 14, 2016

A quick trawl through Ebay at your pricepoint brings up loads of basket cases. There may be a diamond or two in the rough out there (even if most seem to be quartz), but it will probably be a long and tedious process finding one. If your budget is $300 all in and you have not factored in the cost of a service than your options are even further limited. :(

Perhaps you might consider casting your net a bit wider than Omega. For a modern "vintage" looking dress watch, the Orient Bambino is hard to beat. http://www.orient-watch.com/products/category/item/?category_id=145

Or maybe keep an eye on the sales section of this forum. Generally good quality at reasonable prices.

Good luck finding something that satisfies you :thumbsup:

10. atait12 Oct 14, 2016

This was very helpful, I knew I would have to get the watch serviced but I didn't much thought past that. I like the Orient's and hear them recommended alot. I guess I could start looking at higher priced Omegas on ebay and continue to try to issue spot.

11. atait12 Oct 14, 2016

After you pointed out the corrosion it became obvious. I am going to have to look at more movements, I was mostly looking if it had right copper color to check if it was fake. Thanks!

12. ConElPueblo Oct 14, 2016

If you really want to find a decent Omega at $300, it is most certainly possible. However, it will take a degree of knowledge on the subject that you do not have at the moment, so either start reading up and be prepared to make a fast decision when opportunity knock or bid blindly and (most likely) end up with a shoddy specimen.

If you are in doubt and post on here for advice, two things could happen: either the watch get written off as a basket case or someone else buys it before you get a proper reply.

Good deals are out there, but you need to be knowledgable to make informed and prompt decisions.

chronos likes this.