Forums Latest Members

Can someone explain the meaning of the "extra" zero??

1. RawArcher Measures thread drift on the Richter Scale Apr 3, 2015

Hi all. Trying to do my own leg work on a few Omega watches I'm considering but getting stumped when I see the extra zero in the second half of a reference number. Example 166.077 vs. 166.0077 for the Ploprof 600. On eBay I'm seeing the 077 version and in my copy of AJTT, it shows the classic diver as .0077(p 328). I've always associated the extra zero as a Watchco situation, but when I see it in AJTT, I know that isn't likely the case. Pun accidental. So.......extra zero -- important signifier or not? Thanks, Tom

2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 3, 2015

3. ulackfocus Apr 3, 2015

The extra zero literally means nothing.

::rimshot::

4. RawArcher Measures thread drift on the Richter Scale Apr 3, 2015

Thanks guys. I can't believe there was a discussion on this literally yesterday and I missed it. I only spend 8 hours a day on the forum so gues I have to pay more attention. That being said, yesterday's discussion seemed to conclude the extra zero indicated a replacement part ( I clunkily worded it a Watchco) yet Dennis says the extra zero meant nothing (very clever btw). Seems to me that seeing it in AJTT would indicate the "means nothing" theory is the correct one. Surely, that book isn't highlighting replacement parts? So, which is it..........or am I missing the entire point? Thanks, Tom

5. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 3, 2015

I'd go with the replacement part theory. What does Dennis know about vintage omega's anyways?

:p

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 3, 2015

Don't think so. Many Omega casebacks had the 4 digits after the decimal starting in the 1970's. Can't all be replacements.

Modern replacement casebacks will have it though.
    gatorcpa

shane0mack likes this.