Forums Latest Members

Can no Omegas be considered to have in-house movements?

1. MRTMan Mar 11, 2017

I had a discussion with a fellow today, who made the point that all Omega movements should not be considered in-house movements. His simple reasoning was that Omega sits under the same umbrella as ETA who produce all of Omegas movements.

Firstly, is this fact or fiction? Does ETA produce all movements for Omega even those considered in-house movements. For example my 9904 movement?

If ETA does produce movements for Omega to their specifications, why was the point made that this is bad? Isn't ETA the most qualified company to produce movements?

Excuse my ignorance, not knowing fact from fiction I chose to do further research rather then argue with this fellow:)

2. Canuck Mar 11, 2017

If every watch company (other than a Swatch brand) that uses ETA movements is outsourcing their movements (as in not a house brand), then Omega is using in house movements. General Motors builds Chevs, Buicks, Cadillacs, GMC trucks, but they are all GMC.

3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 11, 2017

I have heard it said that Seiko is the only watch company that can claim to be truly "in house".

But I'm no expert on the industry...

..I just like wearing nice looking watches.

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 11, 2017

Orient...

5. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 11, 2017

In really comes down to what you consider in house. Until you know what your definition of it is, the debate is endless.

6. MRTMan Mar 11, 2017

For me having an in-house is about having a unique movement which shows the skill and history behind the company who produced it. Rather then a mass produced movement which for the most part, only the case is unique.

It's an interesting discussion. I have watches which I love with ETA movements. There's just a certain price point which I expect a more unique movement.

7. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Mar 12, 2017

Naah he is just bulls***ing you

kkt, Nobel Prize, Brey17 and 2 others like this.
  8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 12, 2017

After a few Aviation Cocktails then some great Cognac I could go on for pages about in house, what it means to the industry and how to define inhouse... or the problems with the definition. Alas descretion is the better part of valor.

kkt, Brey17, MRTMan and 1 other person like this.
  9. MRTMan Mar 12, 2017

Perhaps this is a question without an answer, or at least no easy answer.

On another topic, I like your watch, really pops with that orange bezel:thumbsup:

10. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Mar 12, 2017

There is an enormous difference between an ETA 2824 and Omega 8900 -- tens of millions of dollars in R&D and capital investment in production equipment, and 15,000 Gauss in magnetic resistance. In my opinion this makes the 8900 uniquely in-house.

krogerfoot, Spy and meganfox17 like this.
  11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 12, 2017

You buy food from a supermarket and make a salad at home is it really a home made salad.

Most companies own the smaller companies that make the screws and crystals ( that supply several brands ) is it in house ::confused2::

In house is a term loosely used by many brands even the top ones.

Just look at what qualifies as Swiss made
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_made

CrisROSE, Nobel Prize, Brey17 and 2 others like this.
  12. dialstatic Mar 12, 2017

In-house is a marketing term, and should be treated as such (i.e. with suspicion ;)). One can build a convincing argument for Omega being in-house or not, depending on what your definition is.

micampe and Archer like this.
  13. padders Oooo subtitles! Mar 12, 2017

If you are a purist the answer is simple. Confine yourself to pieces from before circa 1975 when the insidious creep of 'cooperation' and joint projects diluted the in house purity. The autos from 1980-2005 are pretty much off the shelf ETA with perhaps a bit of tinkering or decoration but movements like the 565 were the real deal.

kkt and OMGRLX like this.
  14. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Mar 12, 2017

kkt and ahartfie like this.
  15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 12, 2017

It depends on what you define as "a bit of tinkering" but for example in the case of the Cal. 1120 (based on a 2892) the differences are substantial enough that many parts between these movement can't be swapped. Outward appearances of the movement can be very deceiving - the devil is in the details.

As others have said, the term "in-house" doesn't really have any official meaning. There is a certain type of collector who places inordinate value on the movement being "in-house." This is in part because the marketing departments of the brands and the whole industry around watches found that placing value on this "feature" increases sales. Being "in-house" does not guarantee that the movement will be any better than a movement made by a large conglomerate. The whole "in-house" thing is a relatively new thing, as the entire Swiss industry was built on parting out different aspects of the watch.

So initially the movements were being designed by Omega, and produced in ETA facilities. I do recall seeing statements made by Omega at the time that this was being done while Omega ramped up it's own production. It's all owned by the Swatch group anyway, so anyone splitting those hairs is simply looking for a reason to justify their own purchase over yours for whatever reason.

If it's a Rolex guy, ask them when Rolex actually bought Aegler (their movement supplier) and see if he knows the answer...

Cheers, Al

16. nygiants Mar 12, 2017

Omega used to use ETA based movements in their older seamasters but in the last 5 years they have switched to coaxial and now master coaxial movements in their planet oceans and DSOTM speedmasters which is a great in house movement..I believe all the Omega models are now in house and the ETA movements are now used in lower S WATCH brands like longines ....

17. Patent guy Mar 12, 2017

Is there any legally enforceable substance for the term "in house"? Is there any agency who ensures the term is not used deceptively?

18. nygiants Mar 12, 2017

No but I believe they must state their movement and whether it is a modified ETA movement or in house...

19. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 12, 2017

No, it's a term with no legeal meaning.

20. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 12, 2017

upload_2017-3-12_11-37-0.png

FullyWound, kkt and Patent guy like this.