Forums Latest Members

Can no longer find my grail watch

1. FLWatchGuy Dec 5, 2016

Hello all! New guy here! I have been lurking recently and finally signed up.
    I am in a position to now purchase my grail watch, only to find that it is difficult to find due to newer versions.
    I am looking for a Planet Ocean 45.5mm w/ the 8500. ref # 23230462101003.

I have only found one at a boutique...which offered 8% off...

HELP ME FIND MY GRAIL!

2. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Dec 5, 2016

George is your answer.

3. FLWatchGuy Dec 5, 2016

Hey dennisthemenace, thanks for the response! George?

4. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Dec 5, 2016

Reword thread title to read "Help me find my Grail watch at a nice discount"? :D

George is Krinkely here on OF. Check the Watches for Sale and you can see his posts. Reach out to him and let him know what you are interested in.

bmurphy858 likes this.
  5. bmurphy858 Dec 5, 2016

Beat me to it, was going to say Kringkily as well. He helped me find my new watch.

6. FLWatchGuy Dec 5, 2016

LOL you guys are GREAT! Although discounts are GREAT, most places around here do not even have the watch in stock at all!

bmurphy858 likes this.
  7. kkt Dec 5, 2016

If you could buy them at every jewelry store for 30% off list, they wouldn't really be a grail, would they?

bmurphy858 likes this.
  8. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 5, 2016

I wish finding a vintage grail were as easy as a modern one...

"Oh, hey, I want a (insert reference here) with an unpolished case, killer patina, etc., etc., but no one has one in stock..."

Good luck, you should be able to run one in down in a few hours,

Nitzbar, FLWatchGuy and Syrte like this.
  9. FLWatchGuy Dec 5, 2016

Yes, because I don't associate grail status with price. Grail is your dream item. I drive my grail truck, and it's hardly expensive.

jcmartinez98 and bmurphy858 like this.
  10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 5, 2016

I don't think Grail means what you think it means. Price and rarity are not factors for all.

11. ulackfocus Dec 5, 2016

Exactly. Because the OP has found the watch, he just isn't getting it cheap enough.

12. FLWatchGuy Dec 5, 2016

No, that's the point. NO AD in my area carries the watch in inventory.

13. kkt Dec 5, 2016

I understand that they don't necessarily have to be expensive, but if someone said their grail was something that could easily be bought by calling around different dealers, wouldn't you think that was an odd use of the word?

14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 5, 2016

Nope. Since it might be a common watch that they where just able to save for to afford. That could be a Seiko SKX or a Patek Grand Complication.

Nitzbar and Mouse_at_Large like this.
  15. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Dec 5, 2016

Not really. A grail watch is one that appeals above all others. It can be new, old, rare or common. It's down to individual taste and desire.

Nitzbar and Foo2rama like this.
  16. ulackfocus Dec 5, 2016

Did you not say.....

..... in your first post? So therefore you have found your Grail Watch, just not at the discount you'd like. At least that's what EVERYONE else believes by the way you worded it.

ps - You throw the term "grail" around pretty loosely. What's your screen name on Watchuseek?

EDIT: actually there are quite a few members with strange interpretations of "grail" watches. By definition, a Grail is not common.

17. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 5, 2016

See PM

18. FLWatchGuy Dec 5, 2016

Yes. if you note, i said there is ONE. at a boutique store. NONE at any AD's...

As per the definition of Grail.... see number 2.
    Definition of grail
    1. 1capitalized : the cup or platter used according to medieval legend by Christ at the Last Supper and thereafter the object of knightly quests

2. 2: the object of an extended or difficult quest
    Per what I said earlier, I drive the truck I always wanted. Therefore, GRAIL watch being the watch I always wanted....at least from the point in which I first saw it.

Hopefully that clears up any and all confusion!

19. ulackfocus Dec 5, 2016

How long was your extended quest to find the truck you now drive? Was it an arduous and grueling 15 minute drive to the dealer? :p

Anything you can find at multiple dealers and buy at any time is NOT a grail. It might very well be your dream ___________ (fill in object of desire) but if it's easily acquired by common methods accessible to any common person it's just another ___________ (fill in same object of desire).

20. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 5, 2016

I think the term is open. If someone wants a Grand Complication no one would dissuade them from calling it a grail. They are pretty easy to source if you have the money.

I guess then you could say getting 250k to buy one is the quest. I would counter argue for some people getting a spare $500 for a watch would be a quest