Forums Latest Members
  1. resident_moron Sep 20, 2019

Here is my 1972 Omega Geneve ref ST 366.0823, 1481 cal. Its in working condition so no problems there.

2.jpeg

I'm new to the world of vintage watches and I hope someone with some experience could give me some advice. This piece has a couple of issues:

1. The dial:

The dial is not in the greatest condition. It's a stainless steel dial. This is seems to be an uncommon watch, so finding someone selling just the dial is pretty much not going to happen.

It has some damage and I was wondering if anyone thinks it can be spruced up and made a little bit prettier?
    If so, what would you recommend be done to it? The damage is pretty noticeable under direct light and some angles. Any idea on what kind of damage it is? Water?

3.jpeg

2. The bezel:

The bezel does not rotate, it's stuck. If I take a flashlight to the side of the bezel I can see small hints of rust. I took the watch to my local watch guy and he told me its too scary and that I would have to pay for his full overhaul service. How much would you price just fixing the bezel/rusting under it?

2. asrnj77 Sep 20, 2019

It looks like some clear coat that was on the dial has peeled. I’m guessing that a competent watch maker could scrap or clean it off and make it presentable.

If your local watch guy isn’t up to the task I’d ship it to somebody with vintage watch repair experience and get everything the way you want it.

3. resident_moron Sep 20, 2019

Thanks for the info, I'm glad to hear that!

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 20, 2019

Agreed - looks like the lacquer has started to peel. This is a new enough watch I thought the dial might still be available, bur it's not. For searching purposes, the dial parts number is 064TT1640003. Who knows you might find one out there. Omega notes that they would restore the dial if the watch is sent to them, since no replacement is available - I would assume this means a complete redial.

As for restoring the dial, lacquer can be removed, but be aware that this can also remove the printing on the dial. People often make this process out to be easy, but there's risk involved, so I would only have this repaired if you are prepared for the worst outcome.

Cheers, Al

Dero13, ChrisN, warrydog and 4 others like this.