Forums Latest Members
  1. aaronjohnjohn Jun 15, 2017

hi, im new into the vintage game and was thinking about purchasing a vintage omega seamaster but was skeptical about doing it. so can anyone tell me if this is a genuine or fake omega seamaster. much appreciated.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. aaronjohnjohn Jun 15, 2017

and if possible and/or knowledgeable, please also tell me what year was it from because the age of the watch always interest me. thank you !

3. Davidt Jun 15, 2017

Genuine, but in poor condition.

4. aaronjohnjohn Jun 15, 2017

in what sense would you consider it to be in poor condition ? and thank you for the reply ! :)

5. Davidt Jun 15, 2017

The case is massively over polished and the movement looks like it's spent years under the sea.

The dial is possibly original but looks to have staining.

Not an attractive watch IMO.

FYI the serial no (19xxxxxx on the movement) and ref no (on the case back) can be used to date it and find more info/examples.

What are your opinions on it?

aaronjohnjohn and Nathan1967 like this.
  6. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jun 15, 2017

Looks like heavily polished case, movement looks like it probably wasn't serviced very thoroughly in 2014, rotor is/ has marked caseback. Dial shot is not good enough to see if it appears untouched.

aaronjohnjohn likes this.
  7. aaronjohnjohn Jun 15, 2017

the guy im getting it from is a reputable seller and is selling it to me for $400ish. but yes, i do agree that its overly polished, however thats the only thing i could say from it as he says everything to the movement is working well and even included a 3 month warranty if anything went wrong.

8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 15, 2017

9. Nathan1967 Jun 15, 2017

Hi Aaron

Have a look at @Modest_Proposal cal 562 (I think) on the sales forum here. If that Watch doesn't suit stick around here pick up info and the right one will come along- the OF has better watches, with better sellers who tend to be hobbyists and not dealers out to make a profit.

BTW @gatorcpa 's reply is from a position of great expertise and knowledge. In other words he's saved you from a howler!

All the best

Nathan

Edited Jun 15, 2017
    propervinyl and aaronjohnjohn like this.
  10. aaronjohnjohn Jun 15, 2017

would u guys have a look at this and tell me your opinion on it as well ?[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jun 15, 2017

My opinion is that you spend more time researching and learning, before you piss away your hard-earned money. I recommend you start here: https://omegaforums.net/threads/learn-how-to-fish.52603/ If this is from the same seller, your definition of reputable and mine are a bit different. Unless, the seller is disclosing everything that has been pointed out so far.

Edited Jun 15, 2017
    Foo2rama and aaronjohnjohn like this.
  12. Canuck Jun 15, 2017

Re: the subject watch. Case quite corroded around the perimeter, and quite likely cannot be sealed properly. Movement looks washed out. Rotor has been dragging on the bridges beneath it, as well as on the under side of the case back. By the time you fix up what is wrong with this one, you'll have rather a lot of money invested in it. I'd be looking for a much better watch if I were you.

aaronjohnjohn and Nathan1967 like this.
  13. aaronjohnjohn Jun 15, 2017

thanks all for your input, i will definitely be buying from somewhere else now. AGAIN, THANKS !

Nathan1967 likes this.
  14. kreyke Jun 15, 2017

How did you identify that the rotor had been dragging on the bridge beneath? The faint black marks next to the swan neck regulator? Trying to learn to gauge movement conditions as well. Haha.

15. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 15, 2017

[​IMG]

Look at the rotor near the word "Swiss". See how the edge has been flattened? That's from rubbing against the caseback.

However, with this watch, it's impossible to tell if this is caused by wear inside the movement (although that's a good bet), or simply because the movement has been shoved into a case that was not designed for it.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

kreyke likes this.
  16. jumpingsecond Jun 15, 2017

Awesome- Thanks for asking the question & thanks for the informative response. Knowing is half the battle!

17. TNTwatch Jun 15, 2017

This is also a franken watch - wrong movement, dial and hands for the case. You can look up the case ref number 2576 to see what it should look like.

18. Temprus Jun 16, 2017

gatorcpa Is right. 100% frankenwatch