Forums Latest Members

Can anyone recommend where to take/send a watch for repairs?

1. kimchismell Nov 5, 2016

Hi everyone. Any guidance received is welcome and appreciated. I have a vintage chronograph with a venus 188 movement. It was not the most accurate (+2 minutes a day), but still one of my favorites. The accuracy never bothered me because it is not a daily wear watch. However, it no longer returned to "12" on reset, and had a large scratch on the "crystal". I took it to a local jeweler that has been in business for as long as I can remember. They called me after two days advising that they really do not want to work on he watch because it can be very difficult to find parts. I picked up the watch. No harm - No foul. Until...

The watch is + 2-3 hours a day.

Can anyone recommend a place to send the watch for repair? The quotes I'm getting are all over the place. From $200 - $600. Please help.

2. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Nov 5, 2016

Where are you located?

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 5, 2016

Albania?

Davidt, ulackfocus and Jwit like this.
  4. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Nov 5, 2016

[​IMG]

ulackfocus likes this.
  5. kimchismell Nov 5, 2016

I'm in Houston, TX. I'll send it anywhere in the US.

6. ulackfocus Nov 5, 2016

Apparently, Albania doesn't exist anymore. Can't say I was the one who pushed the button though. ;)

Jwit likes this.
  7. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Nov 5, 2016

8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 5, 2016

Most people are reluctant to recommend a watchmaker for a number of reasons but not for selfish ones.

Putting a "good" watchmaker on the internet can result in them being swamped with inane questions which consumes their time (and therefore their ability to earn their daily crust).
    They may also suffer from an increased workload due to the exposure and could reject work because of that.

I'm sure that there are good watchmakers in Houston who would be capable of doing what you require.

Google is your guide.

Stewart H and Jwit like this.
  9. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Nov 5, 2016

Don't hire a watchmaker based on price, look for someone that understands vintage. I can recommend Watchmakers International- Phillip Ridley...he's not too far from you and does exceptional work. He is going to be on the expensive end, but you get what you pay for.

Good watchmakers are hard to find. My primary watchmaker is generally 6 months out for any work, and he isn't taking on new clients.

Edited Nov 5, 2016
    Larry S likes this.
  10. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 6, 2016

Watch Makers intl is a good option. My experience: $2-300 for a 3 hand. $600- 1500 for a complicated Chrono depending on what is needed. Most want to see the watch. Price should not be the only consideration. Competence / track record/ references & Reviews matter much more. Watchmakers must specaialize in vintage restoration. Must be able to demonstrate UG savvy and experience. Must be able to readily source parts or fabricate them.

Edited Nov 6, 2016