Forums Latest Members
  1. Tetchyfett Feb 14, 2015

Hi all, just bought this watch (I'm a noob) and was hoping someone here could identify and age the watch for me. Serial num is most likely on the inside. I believe the strap and clasp are not original to the watch, but I could be wrong. Thanks.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. peatnick Feb 14, 2015

welcome, you have a 1983 Darwin per Omega's vintage database
    http://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage-watches-database?ref=14631
    Darwin
    Gents' leather strap
    Reference
    MD 166.0281
    International collection
    Movement
    Type: Automatic (mechanical)
    Caliber number: 1110
    21 jewels
    Functions
    Date
    Case
    Gold-plated
    Case back
    Screw-in
    Dial
    not available
    Crystal
    Sapphire
    Bracelet
    Leather
    Water resistance
    30 meters
    [​IMG]

Not sure on the strap but believe you correct the buckle is a reproduction, the underside says acier inox (stainless steel) original would have been marked Plaque G (gold plate).

You could find a replacement strap with a non Omega buckle easily or try to hunt down a n original replacement at otto frei (US) or cousins (UK) depending where you are

Enjoy!

3. Tetchyfett Feb 14, 2015

Great thanks, is it a good watch? Common watch?

4. peatnick Feb 14, 2015

5. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Feb 15, 2015

I if you picked this watch out you probably like it and it's automatic over the plethora of Quartz for that time period. The eighties were a bit of a low point for Omega. I doubt your watch was made in the volume compared to the current Aqua terra line.
    All that matters is that you like the watch and it keeps good time. I will warn you now not to browse any watches on this forum or ask for advice on buying another. You will end up with no money in your pocket and walking to work with a packed lunch of jam (jello) sandwiches. This place is full of enablers and very pretty watches.

6. Tetchyfett Feb 15, 2015

Thanks again, if I were looking to start a collection where should I start? Are there watches everyone should have? Or is it purely an aesthetic thing? Ps jam not hello!

7. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Feb 15, 2015

Well yes, I do think there are watches everyone should have.

Speedmaster Professional, at least three
    Aqua Terra
    Planet Ocean, original and a gmt
    Vintage pie pan Connie
    Ploprof, vintage and remake
    SM300, vintage and remake
    Vintage Seamasters, various, but at least two. Deep blue, Grand, Jedi, etc

Of course, it might take a few years, so maybe start with a speedy. [emoji4]

8. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Feb 15, 2015

Yup the enablers have started so yeah as Taddydangle has stated the icons out there Omega have made quite a few special editions over the years (007 series and heritage models)
    Here's two of my favourites from the sixties
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    (Pictures from the internet)

9. Tetchyfett Feb 16, 2015

Droooool... 145.0024 thanks for that... Now where the he'll can I get one....

10. Tetchyfett Feb 16, 2015

Just found this... Anyone ever seen one?

St188.0002

11. ketiljo Feb 16, 2015

Sure, a Speedsonic. Tuning fork movement, one of the coolest things on the planet.

12. abedinpourreza Feb 17, 2015

Hi , great but I think glass has changed it looks not original. I also make glass for watches in Iran.

13. Tetchyfett Feb 17, 2015

I can't seem to find out much about it, is it rare? Where can I Find one? I'd like a 1975 (year of birth)

14. ketiljo Feb 17, 2015

Ebay? Before you go hunting for these, you should know that it's expensive to service. Not many do this and parts are getting hard to get. Not especially rare though.

15. Tetchyfett Feb 17, 2015

I'll check it out, but can't seem to find any When searching for the serial number. As it's my 40th this year, what other omegas were awesome that year?

16. ketiljo Feb 17, 2015

Search for Speedsonic instead. There was only two different cases, the one you refer to and the "lobster".

Finding your birth year watch is easy. Visit this page, click on a catalog or a brochure from 1974 and start dreaming. Lots of really nice watches in this period, Flightmaster, Speedmaster etc.