Forums Latest Members
  1. mgennone May 6, 2015

It has a 38 mm honeycomb dial, rose gold. Would not mind some advice on how to take better pictures as the depth of the dial is not coming through very clearly.

image.jpg image (2).jpg image (1).jpg
  2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 6, 2015

Does your camera have a macro setting (a small flower)? That will allow you to focus in much closer.

3. redpcar May 6, 2015

............or you could back off the camera a few inches from the watch. You are inside the focus range. You can then crop out whatever you don't want us to see ;)

4. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar May 6, 2015

You can see in the first picture that the side of the watch that is furthest from the camera is in focus. Not sure what camera/lens combination you are using, but you are too close to the object. As others have stated, try moving back. If you can manually control the aperture then try closing it to increase the DoF.

5. marturx May 6, 2015

Even without focus it looks like a redial

Archer likes this.
  6. mgennone May 7, 2015

Appreciate the reply...Ill try again on the pics. Taking it to place called Jackmond for an appraisal as they specialize in vintage Omega's so fingers crossed.

7. Lessismore Pro Constellation picker-outter! May 7, 2015

+1

8. PatrickJ May 7, 2015

Hopefully not let's see the focused pics first.

9. Lessismore Pro Constellation picker-outter! May 7, 2015

I don't need to, look at the second hand and markers...just to point one...

10. mgennone May 8, 2015

OK mystery solved and by one of the best in the business. Brought it in to Jackmond in California.....

Original dial, base, hands and movement. Dial has most likely been cleaned...maybe repainted but could not tell under the loupe. These large models were typically cased in South America but all original Omega. Came in two dial variations one with honeycomb dial.

Reference
    OT 2620
    International collection
    Movement
    Type: Manual winding (mechanical)
    Caliber number: 265
    Formerly called "30 T3 PC"
    Created in 1949
    15 jewels
    Functions
    Subsecond
    Case
    18K solid gold
    38 mm
    Case back
    Press-in
    Dial
    With hand-rivetted gold hour markers and "Dauphine" gold hands.
    Crystal
    Hesalite
    Bracelet
    Leather
    Water resistance
    No (hermetic crown)

11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 8, 2015

I own a South American cased gold Omega and the dial is crisp and sharp, with "Swiss Made" at the bottom.

Typically, these would either have a sunken sub-seconds dial with index markings or a simple cross without being sunken. There would also be some kind of minutes register on an original dial, which is totally missing here. In addition, the seconds hand is way too long.

I don't wish to be overly critical, but this is not an original 1950's Omega dial.
    gatorcpa

12. mgennone May 8, 2015

13. mgennone May 8, 2015

Desk research turned up variations you stated....so had to go deeper. I used to collect vintage Rolex before fakes and cost drove me out of that type of collecting. Rarely but sometimes you can find variations. From what I was told this is the case. Next step is talk someone at Omega.

14. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar May 8, 2015

I don't want to sound critical of your expert, but I am going to second Gator CPA's comment. The dial on your watch is most probably refinished. It is missing the minute indices and the "Swiss Made" at the bottom. South American market watches were cased in locally produced cases, but AFAIK the movements, dial, etc were Swiss production and would be marked as such.

15. mgennone May 8, 2015

No I think this is all useful and valuable info! Does not mean that variants do not exist and are not in fact original. Especially because of the quality control and supply practices in the past.

Just for reference if you care about where I got my info.

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/vintage-omega-watches-los-angeles-jackmond/

Not being critical either just if i have to take opinions and historical info. Connected me with Omega historian so I can get all the straight info. Appreciate the input.

16. TNTwatch May 8, 2015

Didn't know that his loupe was not as clear as your blurry pictures. Did you speak to Jack personally? He may have been polite (perhaps, since you didn't intend to sell to him).

Edited May 8, 2015
  17. mgennone May 8, 2015

Hmmm all possible but I did leave w something so maybe that had more to do with it! I did get an offer for mine though. Old age I guess.

18. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar May 8, 2015

There are many variants, practically for every model. However, even these variants will follow some rules.

Regarding Jackmond, I am sure he is quite knowledgeable. However, many of the members on this forum (I am excluding myself from this category) have probably examined as many watch as he has and have just as much expertise. And remember - if you ask 2 Omega experts you will probably get 3 different opinions…:p

mgennone likes this.
  19. mgennone May 8, 2015

Exactly.......that was my learning collecting Rolex for many years. There is conflicting information available about whether something actually exists or not. I did get some good info here so thats cool.

20. TNTwatch May 8, 2015

Was the offer more than the scrap gold value?