Forums Latest Members
  1. Achilton Jul 26, 2014

I purchased it on eBay and haven't found out much about it. As far as I know, it's a 1954 ref. CK 1609 with a caliber 30 t2 movement. I'm not 100% positive, but that was the closest match I've been able to find. Any information on the watch would be greatly appreciated!

photo (35).JPG

2. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Jul 26, 2014

Could be a cal 30 based watch. Difficult to tell without a shot of the movement and inside the case back. As I am sure you are aware this is a refinished dial.

3. Achilton Jul 27, 2014

This is what I could find. I actually wasn't aware that the dial is refinished - I'm new to collection vintage pieces and the seller said it was original - can you share how you were able to recognize that? Thanks!

Screen Shot 2014-07-27 at 11.29.14 AM.png omega case.JPG omega back.JPG

4. bieb1 Jul 27, 2014

It could have been an old refinishing, making the seller believe it was orginal vintage. But still refinished. If you google cal. 266 or 30 omegas, you will see a lot of dial pictures. That should give you a comparison between orginal font and cross hairs (fine & elegant) versus your dial, which on the picture looks rather heavy, especially the sub dial cross hairs. Also, it is likely that the original dial had minute marks, which are missing on yours.

It still is a nice watch and certainly looks good on the wrist. For collectors the refinishing is important and reduces value (so you may want to raise this with the seller is that is still possible), but for daily wear and enjoyment it does not have to be a problem.

5. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Jul 27, 2014

Yes, original cross hairs are fine and elegant, not too heavy like that

4646219068_2f295a291d_z.jpg
  6. Achilton Jul 27, 2014

Ahh, I see. Good observations - I've got a lot to learn. Is there anything else anyone can tell me about the watch or the movement? I'd love as much info as possible. I'm not planning on selling; I love how it looks on the wrist. I'm just curious about what I'm wearing around all day.

7. bieb1 Jul 27, 2014

For more telling people will need more photos, of case back, inside of case back and movement. But that means opening the watch, which you may not want to do of course. Not really difficult to do, but it will expose the movement to (the risk of) dust getting in. I am sure others will chime in on the ease of and prudence of opening the watch.