Forums Latest Members

Can anyone help me find the date of my secondhand f300 Constellation

1. Tonydg Jan 24, 2014

Hi,
    I have just bought an Omega f300 Constellation and am now trying to find out some details.
    I have been interested in these since they came out and only now have been able to afford one - very secondhand.
    I have had a look at various sites that describe the ESA 9162 / Omega 1250 movement but cannot see how to find date of manufacture.
    I have attached a couple of photos - (apologies that they are not up to this forums usual standards):
    Front view.jpg

and the insides look like:
    Back cover and inside - medl.jpg

I have had a look around doing image searches, and while I can find many other watches of this family (f300 Consellations) I cannot see any other that look like this one.

Can anyone help me find out when this one was made?

Thanks,
    Tony

2. Habitant Jan 25, 2014

3. Tonydg Jan 25, 2014

Hi,
    Thanks for the pointer to the library.
    I had a look at the watch and did some searching, and am further confused. The one most like mine is a Megasonic - at least the case looks identical - see http://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage-omegas/vintage-watches-database?ref=22731
    but the internals are not. But the braclet is identical.
    I was curious and so had a further look at some numbers inside my back, and came up with:
    193.0038.169 and
    The link above came from searching on 398.0828, and if I search on the other number - 198.0038, I get another page - http://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage-omegas/vintage-watches-database?ref=20774

Both watches are listed as Megasonics. They also both list the caliber as 1220, and mine is 1250.

Is it possible that someone put the f300 movement into a Megasonic case?

I don't particularly care as I like the watch (which is why I bought it)

4. Tonydg Jan 25, 2014

Hi Again,

And to add further confusion to the watch - the 2 models mentioned above list the backs as press in - mine is screwed in.

Tony.

5. Tonydg Jan 25, 2014

OK - the person I bought my watch from found information about another one that looks very similar (black minute ring, not silver) at an auction - http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/6512486.
    [​IMG]

So - I am not alone ..

6. webvan Jan 25, 2014

Yes I've seen that watch model pop up a few times on eBay, not particularly rare. As for the date, look up the movement number on the plaque.

7. Tonydg Jan 25, 2014

Hi webvan,

Thanks for the feedback.

Can you tell me how to work out the date from the numbers - I assume this is the serial number under the caliber (as below)?

I am new to Omegas (and watches generally as they have only been a low level interest before) - this is my first dive this deep into these details ..

Internal numbers 1.jpg

Thanks.

8. Habitant Jan 26, 2014

Hi Tony
    Bad news: the Omega database has some inaccuracies, so you probably shouldn't get too literal about some details. Here's a link to a serial number database: http://chronomaddox.com/omega_serial_numbers.html There are quite a few out there... but anyway, according to this db 1972-73 for this movement.
    Then there's the issue of two model numbers... someone here will know why (presumably the actual watch shares a case back with two models, hence two?) As to the Megasonic variations, I have to back away before I get blistered by one of the sages that dwell in these parts, I just don't know and someone out there will, and / or have a copy of The Omega Saga. I don't. But I do have a Constellation with two numbers....
    Could someone have swopped out a movement? You bet. But there is always the issue of production criss crosses and so on, so once again, the existence of one calibre in yours instead of another isn't definitive, I'm afraid.

Tonydg likes this.
  9. Tonydg Jan 26, 2014

Hi Habitant,

Thanks for the overview. I guess that, given the raft of possibilities, Occam's razor should prevail and I should just assume that mine is original. This is quite OK with me.

Thanks all for the replies - I have certainly learnt a lot and it makes we want more of these (and a Megasonic - even though they are out of my price range) - the engineer in me is fascinated by the movements ...

10. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 26, 2014

I've checked my 70s brochures & while this exact model isn't listed all the similar models are listed with two model numbers in the same format you listed. AJTT lists them that way too.

Some of the cal 1220 models did later have cal 1250 in them.

Tonydg and Habitant like this.
  11. Tonydg Jan 27, 2014

Hi,

It took me a while to find out what AJTT was - looks like a great book.

Thanks.