Forums Latest Members

Can anyone give me any info on this watch ?

1. pangy Dec 18, 2017

Hi guys

I have been left this watch by a deceased uncle, I am sure its not of any worth but has sentimental value to me, I have had a look online for details of this watch but can't seem to find anything about it,any help in identifying the model number/year would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

b1.jpg b2.jpg
    noelekal likes this.
  2. Canuck Dec 18, 2017

Looks like Longines 23Z movement. This model was produced for a number of years, with slight variations. The subject watch has Incabloc shock protection, and that version Ranfft lists as 1961. As to model? Probably best identified by the model number stamped within the steel case back. I very much doubt it had an actual model name. Image from the Ranfft archive.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&2&2uswk&Longines_23Z

For your version with Incabloc, see image 5 in the attachment, and refer to its description (for item 5) on the right side of the uploaded page.

argonbeam likes this.
  3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 18, 2017

We need this number to date the watch, also as already noted a nice large clear photo of the inside of the case back, outside wouldn't hurt as well.

b1.jpg

argonbeam likes this.
  4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 18, 2017

12 million would date from 1962 or so.
    gatorcpa

argonbeam likes this.
  5. pangy Dec 19, 2017

Is this anymore help ?

9y back.jpg
  6. dragoman Dec 20, 2017

Well, that makes it a 9K gold case made by Baume & Co (not to be confused by Baume & Mercier).

Baume & Co. were the importers of Longines for the Commonwealth, and sometimes they cased the watches in UK and some other times they cased them in Switzerland (and considering the Fab Suisse, this is probably the case with this watch).

argonbeam likes this.
  7. argonbeam Dec 20, 2017

Nice watch overall. In good shape, solid gold rather than plated, reliable movement. In regards to value, not a collectors item or anything, but nice family connection makes this a piece I would hold on to.

8. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 21, 2017

Especially since the dial has been refinished, which means its main value indeed is the sentimental value.