Forums Latest Members

Can Anyone Find Fault With This Baume & Mercier Movement.

1. TheNewOmegaMan Mar 17, 2020

Hello everyone, I am still working on my deal with a seller for a Baume & Mercier Baumatic Chronograph 6103 watch posted here https://omegaforums.net/threads/i-need-some-help-with-a-baume-mercier-please.110877/. I was hoping someone could help me with identifying if this movement looks correct. I am getting a very nice deal on this watch so I wanted to be safe because it is a private seller. Here are the pictures provided. Thank you very much!

IMG_3831.jpg IMG_3832.jpg IMG_3833.PNG

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 17, 2020

Not that familiar with what these are supposed to look like, but nothing really jumps out at me as being obviously wrong.

You do understand that this is a modular chronograph, right?

TheNewOmegaMan likes this.
  3. TheNewOmegaMan Mar 17, 2020

No I do not, please explain if you will be so kind.

4. TheNewOmegaMan Mar 17, 2020

This is what I gathered so far.

A modular chronograph is cheaper, as it will share most of the major components with the base movement, and these can be made in volume. Also, the module can be tailored for ease of manufacture, as it is not intended to be dismantled in the field.

My question is are they less reliable? Is something wrong with modular?

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 17, 2020

This is a 3 hand automatic movement (ETA 2892) with a module added on top to provide the chronograph functions. This is why the pushers for the chronograph are higher up on the watch than the winding crown is.

Your options for getting this watch serviced when compared to something like an ETA 7750 integrated chronograph, will be more limited. Most watchmakers do not like servicing these, and parts access can be a problem for the modules. These often sell cheaply (like the Speedmaster Reduced models so) when they are in need of service and the owner finds out that the service is almost what the watch is worth.

Cheers, Al

Waltesefalcon and TheNewOmegaMan like this.
  6. TheNewOmegaMan Mar 17, 2020

Thank you Archer after thinking about this, I declined the offer. If anyone is looking for a good deal on this watch you can PM me and I will provide you with the sellers information.

Thank you again Archer.

Edited Mar 17, 2020