Forums Latest Members

Can an Omega AD confirm when a watch was actually produced/manufactured?

1. Hell’s Teeth Sep 20, 2019

Given the rumoured imminent price increase in October, I may this weekend be bringing forward the purchase of 50th birthday present. However, as it’s an anniversary item I want to be sure it was actually produced/manufactured in 2019 and is not older stock.

Is this likely to be something which an AD could confirm?

Grateful for members thoughts and advise.

2. Evitzee Sep 20, 2019

Considering production schedules, inventory control and other aspects of business I don't think that information is going to be readily available, even to an AD. When I bought a Speedmaster from the Omega boutique in Geneva in June 2017 I noticed the hang tag seemed to have a date code but I have no idea if this is a production date, when it came out of Omega factory inventory into the distribution or retail chain, or something else. I've never seen it again so maybe it is a Swiss market thing. You can always ask but not sure you'll get much information back. Nor do I think it really means much.

IMG_7978.JPG
  3. squarelug Sep 20, 2019

Why does it need to not be older stock, I'm confused? Because this is the anniversary year?

If so that's rather pedantic, no? I mean if you buy it this year and the warranty card says 2019, really, who cares?

4. Hell’s Teeth Sep 20, 2019

That’s helpful, thank you

Does it really mean much beyond sentiment? Indeed probably not. I’m just asking the question as if it is identifiable and do-able then why not aim for that.

Cheers

DaveK likes this.
  5. Hell’s Teeth Sep 20, 2019

Because it’s my 50th and my buyers choice that if knowingly identifiable and possible I’d like the watch I choose to buy to be produced from the same year of my turning 50.

Yes, I guess it could seem pedantic, I guess the nature of watch collecting can be both pedantic and subjective. Of my modest collection all have certain meanings of sentiment and will ultimately be passed on so if nothing else, if do-able it would just be a relevant nice touch.

Cheers

6. Dan S Sep 20, 2019

Here's a thought ... just spitballing here. You could buy a limited edition watch only produced in 2019 if there is one that appeals to you. In some ways, that would actually have more meaning for a 50th birthday since it's not just the same watch that is produced every other year.

DaveK, connieseamaster and Foo2rama like this.
  7. 8100_RPM Sep 20, 2019

An Apollo XI 50th Anniversary Moonwatch would be a great way to commemorate your 50th birthday.

TwinPeaks likes this.
  8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 20, 2019

Well you could start be making sure it has the current caseback... It changed in the past 2 years or so.

connieseamaster likes this.
  9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 21, 2019

4th week of 2017...

90sgensOmegafan likes this.