Forums Latest Members

Can an Accutron 214 work without the battery spacer?

1. WhatYourWatchSay Oct 18, 2017

Picked up a mint condition Accutron 214 today but the only battery I have is a 394 without a battery spacer.

I tried it in the watch and it doesn't work. I'm not sure if the module is the issue or if I need a different battery.

I'm hoping there might be an Accutron collector or two here who can give me some advice.

2. SeanO Oct 18, 2017

Didn’t the 394 come with a spacer?

Just make one up yourself.

3. Canuck Oct 18, 2017

Did you get the polarity of the cell correct? Accutron cells go in with the + side DOWN. If you fitted it incorrectly, you likely killed the cell. Or worse! As to the spacer. I would recommend that you get one. But if the watch isn’t jiggered from mis-handling, and you fit a new cell correctly, the circuit and tuning for should activate. As to whether the watch performs, that is the colour of another horse!

4. WhatYourWatchSay Oct 19, 2017

Thanks SeanO and Canuck for your comments.

I do have the + side down, remembered that from collecting Accutrons 12 years ago. I checked the voltage of the battery with a tester and it reads 1.588v so it's ok.

I contacted Martin Marcus and he said the watch should run without the battery spacer and suggested giving the side of the case a good whack with my knuckles if it still doesn't run but that didn't work.

The movement looks to be in good condition but what's going on under the plate I have no idea. I guess this one isn't going to be running without intervention.

5. Canuck Oct 19, 2017

With the battery in place, the first thing you might look for is to see if the seconds hand is moving. If it is, that is good. But if the seconds hand is not moving, put the watch to your ear and listen for the tuning fork hum. If you hear it, that’s good. If you don’t hear the tuning fork, tap the watch and listen again. If you hear it, that’s good. If you don’t hear it, not so good. Parts for them, and people who will work on them are getting more difficult to find. Best of luck.

6. WhatYourWatchSay Oct 19, 2017

Thanks very much for these instructions Canuck.

With the battery installed the second hand does not move. When I tap the case the second hand will move and I can hear the forks vibrating but it won't run. No hum either.

7. Canuck Oct 19, 2017

Tapping the Accutron will cause the tuning fork to vibrate momentarily, and the sweep seconds hand will usually move until the tuning fork stops. If you hear no sound from the tuning fork with a good cell, properly installed, then it would seem that you have a dead circuit. My 53-year old Accutron is on its third circuit, third index wheel, and second tuning fork. Welcome to the wonderful world of Accutron collecting.

Omega1 and ConElPueblo like this.
  8. WhatYourWatchSay Oct 19, 2017

Shh...The watch will hear you Canuck ;)

I actually started collecting these 12 years ago and stopped 5 years ago because of parts and service issues. The seller presented this one as being in near mint condition, which it is, and running which it clearly isn't. The seller has cut off communication so I guess I'm SOL.

9. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 19, 2017

I gave up on these too.

10. WhatYourWatchSay Oct 19, 2017

It's frustrating because they really are beautiful watches. This one has the original Kreisler bracelet too, but what I'm into it for and what it might cost me to service I have to let it go and hope to recoup some of my money.

11. Shailor Oct 19, 2017

12. Canuck Oct 19, 2017

My one owner 1964 Accutron 214. Still looks and runs like new. Serviced countless times over its half century of use. Wore it on our wedding day in 1966. Wore it to Expo 67 in Montreal. Got caught in a rain storm. The watch leaked and spoiled the dial. I had an identical as-new dial, so that is the dial on the watch. I’d have to count, but I have about a dozen Accutron 218 & 214 watches, and several of the original Accu-quartz watches, and many donor watches which are good to have.

6F522CD2-ED63-42CD-AE12-E0CD7D51D817.jpeg

Larry S likes this.
  13. WhatYourWatchSay Oct 19, 2017

Oh that's pretty :thumbsup: