Forums Latest Members
  1. omeega Nov 25, 2013

Hi there,

So I think I found my perfect starter Omega watch, but I am worried it is all a little too good to be true. Could I get a few expert opinions on the authenticity?

Any help would be super appreciated.

http://www.qualityvintagetimepieces.com/OmeSeaMintySSNICEfull.html

and a description:

1958 OMEGA SEAMASTER AUTOMATIC GENT'S WATCH

- MEN'S VINTAGE ORIGINAL OMEGA SEAMASTER WATCH.
    - MOVEMENT SERIAL NUMBER: 16760066 DATING TO 1958.
    - FULL SIZE 34mm X 41mm EXCLUDING CROWN AND LUGS TO LUGS, SOLID STAINLESS STEEL.
    - GORGEOUS POLISHED CASE IN EXCELLENT CONDITION
    - GORGEOUS RESTORED DIAL IN EXCELLENT CONDITION
    - THIS BEAUTIFUL 20 JEWELS CALIBER 501 AUTOMATIC MOVEMENT HAS BEEN CLEANED AND OILED.
    - WATCH IS WORKING STRONG AND KEEPING TIME WELL.
    - NEW GENUINE LEATHER STRAP + NEW SPRING BARS + NEW CRYSTAL + NEW CASE BACK GASKET.
    - CASE NUMBER: 2846/8 - 1 SC

2. ulackfocus Nov 25, 2013

Whenever a seller says "restored dial" it means a refinished dial - which collectors don't want. The font of Seamaster is wrong. That's a later 60's font. The S should have a smaller top and a larger bottom for a 2846 case with a caliber 501, like this:

IMG_6482.JPG

I'd pass on it since you can find plenty of white dialed (well, they've mostly turned light beige by now) Seamaster 2846's around. I've got both the black dial above and a white dial caliber 501 too.

CdnWatchDoc likes this.
  3. CdnWatchDoc Nov 25, 2013

Hi omeega, Welcome!

"Polished" "Restored" and redialed. These are words that indicate work has been done to the watch, so authenticity is lost. It is a vintage in that the parts may be old, but not originally put together like this in the factory. When one looks on the Omega Vintage Database, CK 2848, the info is waaay different.
    Others will chime in who know more than me, but I would not seriously shop on that site; I have yet to have found anything truly "original".
    And good on you to ask before you pull the trigger! Best to not go through the hassle and disappointment of finding out after the buy that it wasn't what you wanted.

mediro likes this.
  4. omeega Nov 25, 2013

Hello there!

Thanks do much for the feedback and help, yup - you live you learn :)

Luckily I did not pull the trigger on anything yet.

Just wondering, are there any trusted dealers out there?

O.

5. ulackfocus Nov 25, 2013

Good thing you asked before buying. :thumbsup: It's not a bad watch, just not something a collector would want, and judging by your screen name you aren't a one & done watch guy.

Check our feedback forum:

http://omegaforums.net/forums/watch-seller-profiles/

6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 25, 2013

7. CdnWatchDoc Nov 25, 2013

Many! Like X350 XJR, ulackfocus, Alpha, time exposure, dablitzer...bought a watch from each of them in the past 3 months...and have not had a dog yet!!

8. CdnWatchDoc Nov 25, 2013

Sharp looking lugs there Dennis-a really good example of a what collectors want in a "vintage" watch.

9. omeega Nov 26, 2013

Hello there,

Thanks so much for all the feedback and advice - I feel like I am a step closer to that 50s/60s Seamaster Deville I have always wanted!

O.

10. omeega Nov 26, 2013