Forums Latest Members

Calling out a member when a deal is struck, and he goes silent

1. igatomic Apr 19, 2016

Just wondering what other members would do if this happened to them?

I had agreed to sell a watch to a member, price negotiated, payment method agreed upon, and then nothing. A month later, I'm a little miffed.

Do you "out" a member for this behaviour?

2. ulackfocus Apr 19, 2016

If you deal with people, this is gonna happen. ESPECIALLY if they're a newer collector. I've had a forum member or two (of another site) do the exact same thing, only to find out months later that they had bitten off more financial obligation than they could chew.

We do have a feedback forum for such activity:

https://omegaforums.net/forums/watch-seller-profiles/

3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 19, 2016

Was it a watch in the FS forum or was it a PM thingy with you and said member.

4. glownyc Apr 19, 2016

You showed more than enough patience waiting a month. Till the end of the week when the paycheck comes is understandable but not a month.

5. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Apr 19, 2016

It happens unfortunately. I could give you hundreds of stories of deal killers...

6. igatomic Apr 19, 2016

It was pm'ing, email, 3 requests for photos, and then how to pay, and then nothing. I understand that sometimes you can get out of your depth with this hobby, but a simple, "hey, I'm having second thoughts" would be a lot better way for this to end.

mjomega, Buckeyes#1 and Taddyangle like this.
  7. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Apr 19, 2016

I outed a former member. Once everyone was aware, the thread was removed. But at least the former member was appropriately shamed!

8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 20, 2016

Has the member been active on Ω Forums since your last contact?

(you can check on his/her profile page by clicking on their avatar).

If they have been absent there may be a reason.

If they are still lurking or posting then give them a last chance to respond to you appropriately.

If that doesn't result in satisfaction then a negative feedback in the correct sub-forum would be in order.

Foo2rama likes this.
  9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 20, 2016

@igatomic if there is no FS add I would write it off to a time waste issue. I would probably not worry about giving negative feedback in the buyers/ sellers if there was never a formal FS listing.

Some may think otherwise but in my thinking if it's only a PM agreement it's private dealings. Understand how annoying this could be to you....

RawArcher, Darlinboy, marturx and 2 others like this.
  10. marturx Apr 20, 2016

+1

Show some tolerance and understanding. A deal is never done/ completed, until the buyer is satisfied anyhow. Forcing a buyer to carry through won´t accomplish that

boat2dan, Skrotis, Gavin and 3 others like this.
  11. tyrantlizardrex Apr 20, 2016

Im not reading this as the OP wanting that.

There's nothing wrong with backing out, just be grown up enough to say that's what you're doing.

Perseus, Garv, igatomic and 5 others like this.
  12. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Apr 20, 2016

If you still want to sell the watch, post it in the FS section. Otherwise move on. Life's too short. :thumbsup:

kurtj29, 250scr and peatnick like this.
  13. Cosd Apr 20, 2016

In an ideal world the guy would contact you and ask for more time or simply tell you he can't go through with the purchase. But the world isn't ideal!

Sorry to hear that, it's not nice when you have been so patient.

14. ulackfocus Apr 20, 2016

It's embarrassment. I see it every day when a customer likes an item but can't afford it, and instead of asking for something similar at a lower price they use a lame phrase like "Give me your card" usually combined with either "When is the sale on to?" or "Will you be here on the weekend?".

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  15. mokofoko One sad panda Apr 20, 2016

Did you try contacting him again? Maybe he simply forgot or thought he messaged you, but didn't. From how your two posts are worded, it sounds like you ended the conversation with instructions for payment.

Just my opinion, but you're taking this too personally. I've sold the odd thing on ebay since 2000, and I've run into tons of people who've strung me along with no payoff. Some people are juggling so many potential transactions that they completely forget to take care of some.

16. igatomic Apr 20, 2016

There have been attempts to contact, and he has been active on the boards, just not posting in a while.

I didn't really want to force him to buy the watch, just be an adult and say that he's having some doubts...

Not taking things personally, hence not actually naming the person and cutting and pasting the pm/email thread. Really just venting.

17. marturx Apr 20, 2016

For one lost buyer, there are 10 waiting around the corner :)

boat2dan likes this.
  18. immustard A condiment that loves to chive to thyme songs Apr 20, 2016

Doubt he can,unless he gets an exeption to the '200 post' rule?

19. Perseus Apr 20, 2016

Man I bet you go through this all the time. I sold a Speedmaster about two years ago and after talking price someone told me they needed to sleep on it. An hour later later someone said "I'll take it" and sent they money. The next day the first guy told me he wanted the watch and when I let him know it was sold he was really ticked off. He went as far as telling me that I should refund the other persons money and sell it to him because we had a "deal."

20. arkstfan Apr 20, 2016

Well I have done the ask for a card thing and come back in three months or six months and bought from a salesman who had helped me out when I didn't want to finance something, but I'm sure that's not regular behavior.

CTS-V likes this.