Forums Latest Members

Calling Millgauss owners--why did you buy?

1. amiriqbal May 18, 2019

I have been waiting for an explorer 1 for a while at my AD. They called today to offer me a Millgaus Z blue.

I've been back and forth between this watch and the explorer 1. Both completely different vibes and models. I appreciate the understated, classic look of the explorer 1. The Millgauss z blue, on the other hand, is shiny and eye catching and, to be honest, a bit bonkers, with the thunderbolt hand (which I think is cool!).

My wife, who has no interest in watches, loves the Z blue. She is also a bit bonkers and avant-garde (thank god she doesn't visit this forum).

It got me thinking about Millgauss owners. Why did you chose this watch over other more 'classic' rolexes, and how would you describe your personality?

Has the novelty of the thunderbolt hand and z blue dial worn off, or does it still make you smile when you look down at your wrist?

Also wonder how owners feel about the weight of the watch? I've heard it's pretty hefty.

Interested to hear the thoughts of others .....Millgauss owners, it's time to come out of the woodwork and be heard.

Let's see some pictures of your babies too! :)

2. asrnj77 May 18, 2019

I was in the same boat. I really liked the 39mm explorer but my wife was enamored with the Z-Blue. I ended up getting the Milgauss and I don’t have any regrets. If it’s your only watch or primary watch Id caution you that it’s a scratch magnet. But I wear it in a rotation and I’ve come to accept the minor scratches on the bezel and polished center links. I actually prefer watches that are a little different and I’m happy with it.

One more thing I’ll add is that you can still find some white dial Milgausses floating around. I really like that one too. Can’t go wrong with either

IMG_20180816_1410406.jpg
  3. amiriqbal May 18, 2019

Wow! What a great photo against the ocean. Looks great on your wrist my friend :)

Thanks for your advice regarding scratching, I had wondered about scratching. The watch will be worn as part of a several watch rotation so, as you say, this should help.

4. asrnj77 May 18, 2019

Thanks. The crystal was pretty smudged up and it would have been a better photo if I had cleaned it before hand. It’s actually at Lake Tahoe, California. I like that it has the adjustable clasp piece that you flip to add or reduce a half size. As my wrist swells I can quickly adjust it. It’s not as good as a glide lock but it works

amiriqbal likes this.
  5. Furioso May 21, 2019

Milgauss blue was on my shortlist as a 1st time potential 'nice watch' buyer. Decided as it's 1st watch, and Rolex was not my first choice (omega AT dark blue 41mm did not go well, so I expanded my view), that I will go classic (imo) - datejust jubilee black dial smooth bezel. Relatively understated, and I suppose I'll someday try the dark blue AT 150 seamaster again, which I think looks better in blue than my Rolex choice would in blue, and that my rolex choice looks better in black than my Omega choice would look in black...but if I was really looking at just a one and done or one at a time 'nice watch'...it almost surely would have been the milgauss in blue, considering I still had the sour experience with the Omega.

The milgauss is super cool functionally. It's as 'wild' a Rolex as one can get near that price point. Interesting enough to invite conversation, with all the class and recognition of Rolex.

6. snarkq May 21, 2019

Have you considered grey market? There seem to be no end to reasonably priced explorer 1 out there. I myself have been strongly considering the 36mm 14270 now that the 1016 is getting unreasonably expensive

7. speedy57 May 22, 2019

Milgauss black with green was my choice a few years back when I bought it. Still love it, but so does jr. and he' graduating college soon, so he's gonna get one heck of a cool grad gift from dad! IMG_3377.JPG

8. timoss May 22, 2019

I love my Milgauss GV (wore it today). When I chose mine I had a submariner and the milgauss in my possession but could only keep one. It was no contest. The milgauss is far more striking but in just a subtle enough way. Everyone has a submariner or similar style watch but you don’t see too many wearing the milgauss gv. It certainly IS heavy but that just reminds you that it’s there and the heft feels like quality.

I have not seen the blue version in person. To me it looks a bit funny in pics but I am reserving judgement until I see it in the flesh.

Apologies for the un-prepped pic:

9F017C1E-062E-46AF-9CE6-DBE050EE2E08.jpeg
  9. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. May 22, 2019

I have a Z-Blue and love it.

amiriqbal likes this.
  10. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector May 23, 2019

No complaints :thumbsup:

fullsizeoutput_c375.jpeg

11. WatchCor May 23, 2019

Absolutely fills my heart with joy and happiness to read this. Congratulations on your sone graduating soon and for a excellent gift. I hope he wears it in good health and for a looooong time.

I would personally choose the green/black version you have here but I can see that the quirkeness of the z-blue is also very good looking.:thumbsup:

amiriqbal likes this.
  12. alikara May 23, 2019

I vote for the Z-Blue. Its really unique and the blue dial really pops. May be tough to wear everyday if in a 1 watch rotation.

Ninja2789 and amiriqbal like this.
  13. alikara May 23, 2019

whippetman01, rmarks, Alpha and 2 others like this.
  14. maecenas May 23, 2019

I can't explain why I chose my black dial GV as my first Rolex, but I just kept coming back to it. My wife usually agrees with my watch interests, but didn't like it... finally I just bought it anyway (she's come around). And you know what? It's pretty much my favorite watch I own. I have no idea why, there's just something about it. It's simple, but it's not... it's quirky, but the history really resonates with me (created for the scientists at CERN). The Explorer 1 is obviously a great watch, but if you're drawn to the Milgauss, I don't think you'll ever regret it (and who are we kidding, you'll end up with an explorer some day as well... :D )

whippetman01, amiriqbal and timoss like this.
  15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 23, 2019

A mate of mine I also work for bought the Blue-Z in part because its unique and you never see them around, in part because it is unisex and his daughter can wear it one day and in part because it has the colours of the Indian one-day cricket team uniform on it. Looks great on him and people compliment it often, which even he seemed surprised by as he has several other really good watches that don't attract such compliments.

amiriqbal likes this.
  16. werdna77 May 23, 2019

At this point I don’t own a Rolex. I plan to change that soon — gut is to go with a more “classic” design that will seem to be really versatile - but I really like the look of the blue Milgauss and am starting to feel this will be my first Rolex.

amiriqbal likes this.
  17. amiriqbal May 24, 2019

Great to hear all these stories from Milgauss lovers!

I'm going to head down to the AD tomorrow to try the watch on......most likely going to end up walking out with it on my wrist :)

18. sepho May 27, 2019

anyone here got the milguass bc of their profession? or is it simply based on looks?

19. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool May 27, 2019

I have never tried the Milgauss blue dial but I have seen it in person and outside in sunlight it looked amazing

20. AJF May 27, 2019

I'm a vintage freak myself, and at that not really interested at all in Rolexes.
    But... If I were to choose a modern steel Rolex my one and only choice would be a blue Milgauss. It really does look fantastic!

amiriqbal likes this.