Forums Latest Members

Calling experts' opinion: how bad a redial is this?

1. George.A May 31, 2017

Guys, I'm not even close to an expert on vintage Omega's. Especially on watches dating pre 1950s.

However, in my humble opinion, this looks like a redial - and a poorly executed one I might add.

What do you think?

IMG_20170531_192553_280.jpg

Larry S likes this.
  2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent May 31, 2017

I am not an expert either, but I think your assessment is spot-on. Sloppy text, minute marker spacing inconsistent, etc.

George.A and Larry S like this.
  3. ConElPueblo May 31, 2017

The dial is way too bright for an old Omega and the lume has a completely wrong colour. Also - no lume in hands.
    The SWISS MADE looks to be in the wrong font and markers are (too) inconsistent. No doubt a redial. Wouldn't say that it is completely unattractive though and it will surely appeal to a lot of people, if not collectors.

George.A likes this.
  4. George.A May 31, 2017

Thanks for your feedback, guys!

What I don't understans is why? I mean: the case is in great shape, the movement looks untouched, it even has the original crown and glass. So, why would it need a redial?

5. jumpingsecond May 31, 2017

Hard to tell without seeing the original condition of the dial. Also depends on the buyer/seller. In fact the market for clean looking dials is probably bigger than dirty dials in the raw. Mostly only the vintage hounds found around these parts (me included) care about originality but from what I can tell, most in the rest of the world would rather wear a spiffy sparkly timekeeper.

Euxinus and George.A like this.