Forums Latest Members

Calling Curmudgeonly Clock Consultants!

1. Rman Mar 16, 2020

3315C048-47CE-4619-9129-32C2E0308FB8.jpeg Hello gents and gentlewomen, I have inherited this charming clock and all I know is that allegedly it was made in Maryland and was one of the first clocks made entirely in the US.

It’s been in our family for generations and although there are no identifying markings, the original dial was replaced in the 60’s and I’m averse at the moment to removing the hands and dial to see if the movement is engraved. It stands about 18” tall.

In searching the web I’ve only been able to find a company by the name of Thompson and Elliot that goes back to those days in Maryland.

Any help or anecdotal information will be greatly appreciated and enjoyed by a person who knows nothing about clocks, me!.

Please take care of yourselves and your families,
    all the best to you.

DaveK, Als 27 and JimInOz like this.
  2. Vitezi Mar 16, 2020

There's nothing like an heirloom to get you started on a new quest! There were many clockmakers who worked in the Maryland and southeastern Pennsylvania area in the late-1700s through the mid-1800s making table clocks, wall clocks, and tall case clocks, so identifying your clock without information may be quite challenging.

I would think the best place to start is at the NAWCC museum in Columbia PA or the American Clock Museum in CT.
    You could try the historical society in Emmitsburg MD or the society in Carroll County or the Maryland Historical Society
    Lots of cheap used books available on American clocks and clockmakers...

DaveK, JimInOz and connieseamaster like this.
  3. Rman Mar 16, 2020

Thanks for those references Vitezi, I’ll do some searching. I was hoping to avoid diving too deep because the last thing I need is an urge to collect something else! Blasted collecting genes!

Cheers and take care.

Vitezi likes this.
  4. Evitzee Mar 16, 2020

You'll need to remove the dial and have a look at the movement to better date it and to see if there are any maker marks on it. Many movements were bought in and put in contract cases or cases made by the 'maker'. Good luck.

Rman likes this.
  5. Canuck Mar 16, 2020

I have Ken Sposato’s book Dictionary Of American Clock and Watchmakers. In it, a quick scan shows there were numerous clockmakers in Baltimore in the late 18th century. Unless the clock is marked with a clockmaker’s name, it is guesswork who actually made it. Most American made clocks of that era were 30-hour, weight driven clocks with wooden movements. From the information you have provided, there is no way to give a specific answer to your query.

Rman likes this.
  6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 16, 2020

Edited Mar 16, 2020
    DaveK, Vitezi, Als 27 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Rman Mar 16, 2020

Thanks gents, from searching images It seems it is likely what’s referred to as a “Column and Splat clock.”

8. Evitzee Mar 16, 2020

Is the clock weight driven or spring driven? Looks like a s spring driven brass movement to me which would date it later in the 19th century. Until you can look at the movement it is all conjecture, there may even be an old label on the case under the dial that would give more information.