Forums Latest Members

Calling all who have experience with mechanical alarm watches......

1. Flingit1200s Dec 28, 2016

Mrs Fling and I have some good friends whose son (Chase) is deaf. Chase is a cool young man and will graduate from college this coming May. While chatting with Chase's mom, I found out that one of the challenges Chase has is waking up if he falls asleep anywhere besides his own bed (his bed has some kind of shaker). The family was trying to find some kind of sport watch (apple or other) that would emit some vibration when the alarm went off. Fast forward. I thought it would be cool to find a mechanical watch that he could wear that would give him some "feel" of the alarm and would also look nice for his upcoming interviews, job, etc. I have no experience with mechanical alarm watches so I need some help from my OF family. What alarm watch would you suggest for a deaf young man who needs to feel the alarm go off?

John

2. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Dec 28, 2016

As the owner of an Apple Watch ::facepalm2:: I suspect it would be the best option but and I genuinely have second thoughts about mentioning this the Poljot I have listed really does create quite a vibration as I am sure many others do.
    Step in our alarming members :) for more advice.

3. Vitezi Dec 28, 2016

Edited Dec 29, 2016
  4. chronos Dec 28, 2016

Hello John,

If the waking up part is the only problem, there is an easy fix for it without even getting any new watches involved. I know this is a watch forum and you'd probably want to get some watch suggestions.
    But to solve the whole thing on a solution based approach:

Just tell him to set an alarm on his phone, make sure the vibra is set on and put it in his pants' front bag.
    I rarely ever travel by train but if I do so, I always have headphones or earplugs on. And I almost always fall asleep after just a few minutes. So to make sure I don't fall asleep and miss my exit, I just set an alarm with vibra and put my phone in my pants' front bag. I can assure you that it works, and on the modern smartphones you can even set up a vibra-only alarm. :thumbsup: . That way, nobody else gets "molested"

Hope that helps,
    Best, Stephan

5. FREDMAYCOIN Dec 28, 2016

The alarm watches i have are very limited in the amound if vibration generated and the duration is approximately 20-30seconds.

6. FREDMAYCOIN Dec 28, 2016

Correction "amount of"

7. chronos Dec 28, 2016

What I forgot to mention: If your intend is to give Chase a nice watch, I would gift him one without an alarm function. You can just give him the smartphone-vibra-alarm hint while he receives a nice watch. :thumbsup:

8. Uniqez Dec 28, 2016

I am using Samsung gear s2 when I'm exercising in the gym to track a heart rate, music etc.
    But, I'm also using it as an alarm every day. Usually keep it on vibration, so it would wake up only me.
    Also, it is durable and could be paired with non Samsung android based phones.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

9. meganfox17 Dec 28, 2016

10. Flingit1200s Dec 28, 2016

Thank you all very much for the responses. Keep them coming! Chase is a very sound sleeper. The phone is a great suggestion that he might already use. I think the watch would be a nice addition to the phone. It's true that there are some very expensive alarm watches (JLC?) which, if it is a recent model, is probably not in the budget. @meganfox17 and @Uniqez that is very helpful on the casual sports watch front and I'll definitely keep that in mind. I think the young man probably should have a sport watch and a more dressy option both having a vibration alarm......... @Alpha the Poljot might be an option. I'll check out your ad.

Miss_Bourginskay likes this.
  11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 28, 2016

I doubt this will mean anything to Chase, but for the others around here, this is a quartz watch with a mechanical alarm feature.
    gatorcpa

Vitezi and Flingit1200s like this.
  12. akshayluc420 Dec 29, 2016

Hi Flingit, I understand that you are looking for a mechanical watch, however I would like to bring up a really cool quartz Certina which has a vibrating alarm function (and 7 more other features). I personally used a black one with the carbon-fibre style strap when I used to travel, I found the vibration strong enough to wake me.

http://www.certina.com/watch/ds-multi-8/C0204191105201

Flingit1200s likes this.
  13. Maximus84 Dec 29, 2016

I love the JLC Tribute to Deep Sea Alarm. If you can find one, and within a budget, it's great. The alarm is more of a vibration than a chime (better underwater) but it is expensive, has a plastic crystal and is very retro. Very cool though.
    IMG_0539.JPG

14. marturx Dec 29, 2016

Look up Certina Alarm watches with AS5008

Excellent value for money, and cool design too. I have owned a few, none left presently, though, but have always been regarding them as very priceworthy

http://www.vintagecertinas.ch/en/certina-alarm/

Northernman and Flingit1200s like this.
  15. WatchVaultNYC Dec 29, 2016

Oris Wrist Alarm is an inexpensive way to get both mechanical watch and alarm from a respected brand. Around $500. I used to have one

[​IMG]

Flingit1200s likes this.
  16. Vitezi Dec 29, 2016

Yes that's correct. I've edited my original post to avoid confusion...

Flingit1200s likes this.
  17. jove14 Dec 30, 2016

P1070313.JPGv2.jpg

Flingit1200s likes this.
  18. jove14 Dec 30, 2016

Hi, John.
    May I offer a suggestion.
    I wear daily my Seiko Bell -Matic, automatic with vibration alarm.
    This is a 1970s Japanese stainless steel wrist watch which I have worn for some years.
    They are readily available for sale on the bay from £100 to close to a £1000.
    If you pick up a good one I think it will suit your friends son very well.
    Mine has given me no trouble at all I have had it serviced this year and the crystal replaced.
    Above is a photo of my watch.
    I hope this helps.
    Best Wishes.
    Joe.

Edited Dec 30, 2016
  19. Flingit1200s Dec 30, 2016

@jove14 This might be a great option for a young man starting his office life. Any chance you could measure the diameter? Chase is a tall strong young man (threw javelin in college) and probably has a 7.5" or larger wrist. Also, where did you send your watch for service?

John

20. Flingit1200s Dec 30, 2016

I'll have to check the size on this as well..........thank you sir!