Forums Latest Members

Calling all Pocket Watch Buffs

1. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Apr 22, 2021

True! Many engravings look like the artist did them with their non-dominant hand. This one is a piece of art in its own right.

2. Canuck Apr 22, 2021

John Jefferys the 18-century London watchmaker that made John Harrison’s H-4 chronometer, also made a pocket watch for Harrison. This watch incorporated a number of features that were incorporated in Harrison’s chronometers. The watch Jefferys made had bi-metallic, temperature compensation, and maintaining power, features also contained in H-4. Key wind watches of the era, stopped when they were being wound. A maintaining power feature took over during winding, to keep the watch running.

The Harrison watch by Jefferys is in the Clockmaker’s museum, in London (we must have missed it when we were there). The watch was in a jeweller’s safe in London during WWII. The building took a direct hit during a bombing raid, and the building burned. The watch, (in the safe), baked for ten days under the smouldering ruins, so it is remarkable that it still exists,

The watch proved remarkably reliable. Harrison’s dependants remember it always being in his pocket. It was the Jeffery watch that led Harrison to believe that a watch, (not a clock), might be the solution to building a marine timekeeper. He came to this conclusion while working on his H-3 chronometer (which he spent 19-years working on).

Probably the most famous portrait of Harrison, shows him holding the Jefferys watch.

209C412E-E123-405F-9FBB-60268A5A86E4.jpeg

Duracuir1, LesXL, DaveK and 1 other person like this.
  3. Canuck Apr 22, 2021

In 2008, on our tour of England, we visited the Greenwich Observatory. All the Harrison sea clocks were on display there, including H-4. It was on that trip that we visited the Clockmakers and Watchmakers Guild Museum where this picture was taken. The feature item in the picture appears to be H-4, but chances are this is a replica. In front of H-4 is what I believe to be the watch that John Jefferys made for Harrison. If I had had my wits about me that day, I would have taken a close up on the signs in the show case. Perhaps I should go there again! 9E60D79F-B347-489E-99E8-ABB202F5A5BE.png

Duracuir1, LesXL, DaveK and 1 other person like this.
  4. river rat Apr 23, 2021

Here are two cool things made by Waltham a store window display and a railroad watch with wind indicator use to have two wind indicators the other was a Elgin sold it some times I wish I did not.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here it is with a fob sold at a Buffalo Bill Wild West Show as a souvenir I am also a big collector of these watch fobs when you don't have a lot of money and your at a antique show or NAWCC mart or antique shop there reasonably priced this one I paid the most for at the Alameda antique fair I use to go to before I moved like 60 bucks most I bought were 5-35 bucks so you can all ways go home with something. I will post them some time. The dial is sort of cool I like these Montgomery dials have a few railroad watches with them.

Tony C., Waltesefalcon, Dan S and 6 others like this.
  5. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Apr 23, 2021

Beautiful watch. I love the Montgomery dials, and don't often see the up/down watches with them. Thanks for sharing.

Canuck likes this.
  6. Canuck Apr 23, 2021

I bought a sterling fob in an antique store in Boulder, Colo. in 1991. I wore a watch on it a few times, but I took the cure one day when the dam thing got hung up on something or other, and pulled the watch out of my pocket! My luck! It landed on a carpeted floor, so no damage! It took me a few minutes to dig it up, so I put it on my Waltham Vanguard wind indicator model, and staged a photo. But no way I’m going to wear the watch with the fob on it! The caption on the pamphlet, “The Big Hill”, refers to a stretch of track on the CPR mainline, west of Calgary.

In 1883, the grade on the line from Laggan, Alberta (now Lake Louise), to the Continental Divide at Stephen was a six mile climb to an elevation of 5,332 feet, with grades to 1.8%. From the Continental Divide, heading west, the builders were faced with the steep sided valley of the Kicking Horse River, and a 1,260 foot downgrade to Field (B C), a distance of ten miles. It was decided to lay track from Stephen to Field, which was a grade of 4.5 %! That is an unheard of grade for a train to have to traverse! This line was used until 1909 when the Spiral Tunnel was built. This reduced the grade by 50%, and added 4 miles of track.

“Pusher” engines were used if the train was heading up the grade, and there were three safety switches for trains that had trouble safely negotiating the down grade. Still, there were accidents!

Apologies to our American brethren who might take exception to the Great Seal of the United States on a fob which is on a Canadian collector’s watch which has a Canadian 24-hour dial.

Anyway, the picture.

D5745C94-3EB4-4D82-B084-4F632EF860E2.jpeg

Edited Apr 23, 2021
  7. river rat Apr 23, 2021

Here is my Elgin 18 size Veritas 21 jewel lever set railroad pocket watch with Montgomery dial in original box. Got this on eBay about 15 or more years ago the price was right compared to what it would cost today.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edited Apr 23, 2021
    LesXL, Farmer, DaveK and 3 others like this.
  8. river rat Apr 23, 2021

A few Howards a series 3 and series 4 key winds and a few railroad watches under keystone. I got the two key winds at a NAWCC mart I use to go to. From a big Howard collector the series 3 over banked called him and said come over had a work shop at his house he fixed it in a few seconds. He had a cool early E.Howard series II in a gold case that could turn from open face to a hunter case was cool to see. Miss that mart since I moved to another state. Think I got that Series 11 railroad watch at the same NAWCC mart but from a different seller was a great place to find stuff.
    [​IMG]

Edited Apr 23, 2021
    LesXL and DaveK like this.
  9. Canuck Apr 23, 2021

river rat likes this.
  10. Canuck Apr 23, 2021

I went to 25 NAWCC marts over 33 years of membership. I can count on my fingers the number of watches I bought at those marts. I always found that the stuff I was after was the stuff many collectors were after, and the vendors knew it! Over those years, I bought lots of antique tools, books, parts watches, etc., but I really went for a break from a Canadian winter. Buying with Canadian dollars affected how I bought. I have one Howard (series VII), 2 Keystone Howard series Vs, one series XI, and the series 4 (or 9, depends on where you check). That one I am wearing, today.

Dan S likes this.
  11. river rat Apr 23, 2021

It was a cool mart they had it every other month was chapter 5 in the bay area was very close so a short drive prices were fair bought a Zenith deck watch chronometer with gimble box for 500 bucks once and was a good place to sell a few things it was mainly pocket watches and vintage wristwatches and one guy a big Chelsea Deck clock seller and a few clocks sellers but that is rare most marts are nothing but clocks no variety. Once when I was new going to those marts saw a Hamilton torpedo pocket watch with both boxes for 2000 I passed and a WW2 Navy issue Elgin canteen watch for a 1000 thought it was to much little did I know how the prices will go up. They had this old guy we called Doc all ways had a few Hamilton model 21 and 22 for sale he was cool to pick his brain about those chronometers think I only bought one thing from him his stuff was not cheap.

Edited Apr 23, 2021
    DaveK and Dan S like this.
  12. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Apr 23, 2021

I was going to go to my first big NAWCC mart near Seattle last summer. Well, not much happened that summer. I had just discovered the local NAWCC club before COVID hit, always some fun stuff at good prices at their tiny mart

13. river rat Apr 23, 2021

When I was big on collecting railroad watches and a lot of you are. Every railroad watch collector needs one of these even though it's a clock but these Seth Thomas No.2 were in most train stations. This one from around 1920 from the case style I think.
    [​IMG]

Edited Apr 23, 2021
  14. river rat Apr 23, 2021

I am still on chapter 5 email list even though I moved out of California but good to hear what going on with them most of there meeting were canceled to. They will come back we almost have COVID kicked I have a funny feeling won't be like it was before since some found other way to sell or buy. Went to a Navy reunion about 4-5 years ago in Seattle was a ships reunion the mayor of Seattle came by and said thanks for your service don't see that often.

DaveK likes this.
  15. Dan S Apr 23, 2021

We have a pretty active local NAWCC chapter. Prior to COVID, we had lunch once a month, and people brought watches to show and sell. For the last year, we have been meeting via Zoom each month, but it has been more organized around a particular theme each time, which has been very interesting. The meetings are listed on the NAWCC site, so sometimes we even get some people joining us from elsewhere if they are interested in the topic.

The Rocky Mountain Regional was canceled last year, but it is tentatively scheduled for the end of August this year. They were originally planning to hold it outdoors at a county fairgrounds because it seemed safer with respect to COVID, although there are obvious concerns about weather and security. With the fast vaccine rollout and the return of most counties to blue status (and possibly heading to clear soon), I'm wondering if they might move the location.

16. Canuck Apr 23, 2021

A grail clock for a Seth Thomas collector. I recently sold one of my two S T World clocks to a collector friend. So now I have only one. There are lots of them in the hands of ardent collectors, but I don’t see them coming up for sale very often. Always looking,

17. river rat Apr 23, 2021

The closest NAWCC chapter near me now is in Idaho they are small and members take turns having it in there towns so they move around. Had to check it out once if it was closer I would of joined it but I have to stay in a Motel and a 1-3 hour drive depending were it's at since it moves around did buy a Seth Thomas ships bell deck clock at that chapter on my one visit.

18. river rat Apr 23, 2021

Got a good price on it got it at the NAWCC Pasadena Reginal the last day best time to buy a clock they don't want to haul it home when they have a lot of clocks one less to load up so you can get it cheaper on that day.

DaveK and Dan S like this.
  19. Canuck Apr 23, 2021

Among the reasons I was not a big buyer at these marts, was that, being in Canada, the nearest one to us (Pacific North West) was distance, customs, the Canadian dollar (boo hoo!), expense, etc. By the time you factor in the cost of the trip, the bargains aren’t really bargains! Anyway, I am no longer a member, and I regularly pick up items, locally, for a fraction of the total cost of an item from an NAWCC mart. Besides, at our stage of life, it really is time to be downsizing.

Dan S likes this.
  20. Dan S Apr 23, 2021

Not as much fun. :(