Forums Latest Members

Calling All Military Watch Experts (Leonidas CP2)

1. watchthirst May 16, 2016

So I've purchased a Leonidas CP2 from a "reputable" dealer in Rome, Italy. Upon receipt I noticed the dial was not original and that the hands were relumed. The chrono reset wasn't spot on and what was supposed to be an exciting experience ended up a watch enthusiasts nightmare. Anyway, the dealer worked with me and gave me a partial refund that I thought was fair in order to bring this CP2 back into original shape.

I have swapped the dial for an original and serviced the movement, but something still seems off.

I was hoping for everyone's opinion on this watch, good and bad. I don't think I've ever seen Swiss Made on a CP2 dial, and the hand on the left sub dial seems to be too long. Is it just me, and I'm just looking for things to find wrong about this?

Your guidance and thoughts on this are very much appreciated.

IMG_9006.jpg IMG_9008.jpg IMG_9009.jpg IMG_9010.jpg IMG_9011.jpg IMG_9012.jpg IMG_9013.jpg IMG_9014.jpg
    shishy and sliceoftime_ like this.
  2. watchthirst May 17, 2016

Not many bund fans or experts on here :(

3. E-diddy May 18, 2016

My CP-1 has "SWISS MADE" on the dial. It almost looks like you have a CP-1 dial in a -2 case.

image.jpeg

4. LarryG not KennyG, not OG, just LarryG May 18, 2016

Here's mine; I do recall seeing a swiss made one and some discussion of it, perhaps on MWR. Ill try and dig it up. Your sub second hand seems a bit long....
    image.jpg

philh and watchthirst like this.
  5. watchthirst May 18, 2016

Yes I did see the CP1's have swiss made on the dial but the sub dials are very different from my dial and the CP1. So it definitely isn't a CP1 dial. :confused:

6. watchthirst May 18, 2016

Your CP2 is such an awesome example of one! Such amazing patina. Enjoy it!

Any references you can dig up would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advanced.:D

7. rpaddy Jun 7, 2016

Hello guys,
    I' a new member here, my name is Roberto and live in Rome, I collect military watches since 1989 . Some months ago I saw these watch but I didn't bought for many wrong parts. Same assignament number,same dings on the bezel.Now the dial is for a CP1 this is the problem, not the hands. For Italian Army ( and Italian Air Force) Leonidas were delivered two batch of these watches. The first batch show a different dial instead the second batch. There is two dials type, the first has a different font of Leonidas written comparated to second batch dial. Then, the minutes written ( 20,25,30,35,40) are inverted if comparated at the second type of dial. In the end, the first dial type the minutes sub dial there are three notches . All first batch of Leonidas we found the first dial type and they are very aged. Few years ago into italian watches market, appeared many Leonidas ( second batch) in perfect condition and complete of origianal boxes. Some of these watches,show on the dials ( second type without three notches in minutes sub dial) some glossy areas.This effect was caused by a strange reaction by the color used for paint the dials,called Zapon. My Leonidas has this little effect in some areas of dial, and in the same condition as like of larryG Leonidas .
    I too am looking for a dial and maybe I can help too Watchthirst for your Leonidas.
    Excuse me for my english, and hope my reply is understandable.
    My best regards
    Roberto

aeroengineer and OmegaCal66 like this.
  8. rpaddy Jun 11, 2016

IMG_3929.JPG Hello,
    here my CP2

aeroengineer and shishy like this.
  9. Maybe Jun 13, 2016

Very informative for the model, thanks for sharing!

tapaptpat likes this.
  10. Seteddharta Apr 2, 2018

Hi guys. About this watch there is another personal story.
    I! I'm writing from Rome too. I’m not an expert of this watch and 3 years ago I founded this watch in my father house.
    Not a famous watch but with some quick research on google I understood that the quotation was not bad.
    My mother (she worked for the Italian defence ministry) bought many years ago to an internal auction of military vintage stocks.
    My son was About to be born so I decided to sell this watch to buy a new watch "for him". I selled it on eBay to an roman watch shop (probably the one that you call “reputable”.
    But during this two years my mind always went to this leonidas, bought from my mother and part of my family for so many years. (You know Italians... always romantic with mothers!). Last year I started to try to found again it. Finally it a rare watch and number 532 on the back it's unique. Incredibly now here we are! Anybody know this guy? Couse I want to buy it again

ddurham likes this.