Forums Latest Members

Calling all Cal 9300/9301 owners - how accurate are your watches?

1. MIDASCHEN Sep 18, 2016

My lovely brand new Speedy 9300 has gained roughly 4.2 seconds per day since Monday. It's still within -1/+6 COSC specification but my other non Omega COSC watches are much better never exceeding 0/+1.5. And since the Speedy is one week old I'm not sure whether to return it or if it's normal for this calibre. Hence I'd appreciate your feedback guys.

Prieto9000 likes this.
  2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 18, 2016

Why would you return it if it's in COSC.

What are your other non Omega COSC watches

Foo2rama likes this.
  3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 18, 2016

Your watch is running within Omega's "normal" specs for this movement. There's nothing wrong with it...

w.finkenstaedt likes this.
  4. MIDASCHEN Sep 18, 2016

Because for the price they surely should be able to fine tune it better than this. Especially that they boast about the fancy schmancy co axial movement which is supposed to be better than anything else on the market. Yet both of me Rollies Sub Date and DateJust with their old "prehistoric" movements run as well as my Casio waveceptor GShocks.

5. MIDASCHEN Sep 18, 2016

I'm disappoint.

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 18, 2016

https://www.prestigetime.com/page.php?accuracy

Accuracy of Mechanical Wristwatches - What to Expect
    In the world of mechanics, anything assembled of small parts which are capable of maintaining 99% accuracy would be considered a top-tiered piece of machinery. To put things in perspective, if a watch is only 99.9% accurate it would be off by 1 minute and 27 seconds per day, which is unacceptable in the luxury watch world.

Accuracy is dependant on a few variables, such as:

1. Position: Due to gravity a watch will gain or loose more time if laid to rest in a single position. The balance wheel has been adjusted to compensate for losses and gains in different positions. An adjusted watch should perform overall within the specification when worn throughout the day. If you remove the watch at night you may want to find the optimum position that will compensate for drift during wear.

Watches are typically adjusted to between 2 - 8 positions:
      1. Dial Up
      2. Crown Down
      3. Dial Down
      4. Crown Left
      5. Crown Up
      6. Crown Right
      7. Half-way position crown up
      8. Half-way position crown down
      A watch adjust to 2 positions has been adjusted to the first 2 positions, a watch that has been adjusted to 4 positions has generally been adjusted to the above 4 positions and so on.
    2. Temperature: [​IMG]The environment may have an impact on how accurate the watch operates. Temperature changes expand and contract many of the parts, changing the dimension and shapes - especially the balance wheel and hairspring. In modern watches most materials and designs are able to compensate for the changes and maintain a consistent rate. This is generally not a problem unless the watch is constantly in extreme weather environments and is corrected by a very simple regulation.

The standard acceptable accuracy of mechanical wristwatches is as follows:
      Modern Mechanical non-COSC Certified watch
      Worst Case Scenario +/-10 seconds per day 99.988% accuracy
      Typical +/-5 seconds per day 99.994% accuracy
      Excellent +/-3 seconds per day 99.996% accuracy
      Modern Mechanical COSC Certified watch
      Worst Case Scenario +6/-4 seconds per day 99.994% accuracy
      Typical +/-3 seconds per day 99.996% accuracy
      Excellent +/-1 seconds per day 99.998% accuracy
    It is important to understand that a fresh watch off the shelf may need a break-in period of a month or so. This allows the watch to find its beat and distribute the lubricants evenly. If you find the watch not to be as accurate as you would expect after the break-in period, there are generally two courses of action to increase accuracy - both being minor in nature, but require competent watchmakers to perform:

• Regulation: This is for a watch that runs consistently too fast or too slow - the keyword being "consistent". The solution would be to regulate the beat rate accordingly. This is a very simple and relatively quick procedure achieved by turning a screw. With the appropriate time-measuring machinery a qualified watchmaker can accomplish this in a matter of minutes. This procedure is probably one of the most common tasks for a watchmaker.
    • Adjustment: This is for a watch that is fast or slow or does not have a consistent rate, especially in different positions. The balance wheel needs to be adjusted to compensate for the different positions. Although this too is a simple procedure, it does require a little more time to correct as each position needs to be monitored and adjusted.

7. Syed117 Sep 18, 2016

You shouldn't be.

As long as it's consistent and within cosc, it's fine.

2-3 seconds a day doesn't make a difference in anyone's life.

My 57 is about +3 seconds a day.

8. sydneywatchguy Sep 18, 2016

I recently put a 2 year old DSOTM on a timegrapher. Dead on +0.

TheBodhisattva likes this.
  9. MIDASCHEN Sep 18, 2016

Guys, no offense but I understand the theory. I was hoping for better (which is not impossible) hence I'm hoping other owners of watches with similar calibre could chip in with their feedback. I love the watch. I always had a soft spot for Speedmasters and this guy is amazing. And since it costs almost as much as Daytona one expects similar quality.

If mine run as well it'd be the best watch I've ever had. Heck, if it did +2 I'd have no doubts.

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 18, 2016

Over how many positions, and at what state of wind?

airansun and connieseamaster like this.
  11. Bushido Sep 18, 2016

If memory serves, my Pitch Black was timed at 0 to +1 in four positions and +2 when on each side fully wound. Test was most recently performed about 4-5 months ago.

12. ktc Sep 18, 2016

I would give it a bit of time. My Speedmaster at first ran +3/4 per day, but after about a month and not keeping it fully wound all the time it's closer towards +1 or +2 (or ever better) daily.

MIDASCHEN likes this.
  13. MIDASCHEN Sep 18, 2016

::psy::that gives me hope. Thank you Sir!

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 18, 2016

That's even more puzzling then. If you buy a watch knowing that the tolerance is between -1 and +6 for average daily rate, why would you be disappointed and talk of returning it if it ran within those specs?

CSM, Ree, Foo2rama and 1 other person like this.
  15. MIDASCHEN Sep 18, 2016

Because +6 is the worst case scenario and best of the best usually sit around +2 that's why. If it was something like an ETA based Damasko with COSC for 20% of what I paid for this watch I wouldn't be that fussy.

16. jcmartinez98 Sep 18, 2016

My DSOM is consistently about 5 seconds /day fast

17. Smspectre Sep 18, 2016

My gsotm runs 3-4 seconds a day fast
    And my PO Ti is roughly the same.
    I'm well happy with them.
    If I'm ever a couple of seconds late for a meeting I can blame Omega.
    Just enjoy the watch.

Faz likes this.
  18. Nitzbar Will sell any watch tougher than him. Sep 18, 2016

My '57 ran +2-3 on the wrist and +3-4 on a winder. Like @STANDY and some others have said, I would give sometime for the movement to break in and just enjoy the watch.

19. José9 Sep 18, 2016

My DSOTM is 29s fast over 8 days and 8 hours, so in average +3.48s a day. It's been worn everyday.

20. MIDASCHEN Sep 18, 2016

Cheers guys, I'm going to see if it improves, if not I'll live with it. Would be a shame to get rid of the watch. BTW since we have DSOTM, GSOTM etc what's the official nickname for Blue Titanium Speedy?

José9 likes this.